• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stan
    • Mar 2004
    • Kalispell, MT, USA.
    • BT3100, Delta 36-717

Any RV (5th wheel) experts here?

Looking for anyone who is 'in the know' as far as converting manual landing gear (Atwood is my guess, but I can't find any markings on the landing gear itself) to motor controlled?

I found a new motor for a good price, but I can't seem to find any specs on gearbox RPM, wiring diagram, etc.

The motor specs are 19 rpm (ratio 35.3:1), 12VDC & 360W, torque is set at 18 ftlbs.

Shaft size is the same as the manual shaft we currently hand crank.
    Motor mounts with 2 bolts approx 4-1/16" diagonal from center to center.

If this motor sounds like the proper one, I'm going to pick it up but will then need to figure out the wiring for raising/lowering the landing gear.

Any information anyone can provide would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    From the NW corner of Montana.
    http://www.elksigndesigns.com
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

I talked to a buddy of mine and he said if it's a manual only system now, leave it manual. If it's motor controlled, use an OEM motor.

He referenced the side to side, or side to side and front to back ability to be adjusted as needed. I didn't know what you have so we couldn't discuss the options. But he did recommend talking to a dealer for recommendations.

Comment

• gsmittle
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2004
      • St. Louis, MO, USA.
      • BT 3100

Don't know if you know about this guy: http://www.phrannie.org/phredex.html

He has a bunch of "poop sheets" on all kinds of RV topics. I sold my TT several years ago (pre back surgery), so I don't remember if there's a sheet that specifically addresses converting landing gear, but the first one on resources might help.

g.
      Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
      Bill & Ted

Comment

• Tom Slick
        Veteran Member
        • May 2005
        • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
        • sears BT3 clone

I have installed and used one of this company's RV systems. very high quality, but certainly not inexpensive.

http://www.bigfootleveler.com/leveli...ifthwheels.php
        Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• Stan
          • Mar 2004
          • Kalispell, MT, USA.
          • BT3100, Delta 36-717

Thanks for the replies/links. As far as the question on the motor -- I wasn't greatly appreciative (heh) of the price on the conversion kits so was trying to get the individual parts and motor via ebay for about a 65% savings. I just wasn't sure of the motor specs (size and geared rpm's), so figured I would ask.

Not sure if I'll keep looking into this as we may be replacing this camper at the end of the season.....

Thanks.

As for the "if it is manual now -- leave it manual" comment...
          #1 -- There are many full conversion kits available for this brand of landing gear.
          #2 -- It's quite apparent this guy ain't had the fun of manually cranking a 5th wheel up and down off a truck almost every weekend.
          Last edited by Stan; 07-31-2008, 08:57 PM.

Comment

• cabinetman
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

Originally posted by Stan
            As for the "if it is manual now -- leave it manual" comment...
            #1 -- There are many full conversion kits available for this brand of landing gear.
            #2 -- It's quite apparent this guy ain't had the fun of manually cranking a 5th wheel up and down off a truck almost every weekend.

I would guess that the information I got was based on the cost feasibility of converting from manual to motor. I'm sure he has plenty of cranking time under his belt. He is a full time OTR owner driver since 1975, and has owned several RV's over the years. His advice was directed towards not knowing how many choices your present system had, and converting to a motorized one may not give the options, such as left and right, or front and back versatility. His advice was more about the cost of doing the change over. If price is no consideration, sure, you could deliver it to a capable dealer, and pick it up sometime later and just write a check.

As for the motor, on a motorized one, the advice was that an OEM would be recommended because of having the exact electrical, gearing, and selections as the one being replaced.

But, I'm like you in that if I had a choice, and I could afford it, would rather push a button. OTOH, is it that much of a PITA to warrant spending the money?

Comment

• Popeye
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2003
              • Woodbine, Ga
              • Grizzly 1023SL

It's quite apparent this guy ain't had the fun of manually cranking a 5th wheel up and down off a truck almost every weekend.
              Stan, try doing it 2 to 3 times a day 5 to 6 days a week Pat
              Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>

Comment

• Stan
                • Mar 2004
                • Kalispell, MT, USA.
                • BT3100, Delta 36-717

Originally posted by Popeye
                It's quite apparent this guy ain't had the fun of manually cranking a 5th wheel up and down off a truck almost every weekend.
                Stan, try doing it 2 to 3 times a day 5 to 6 days a week Pat
                Heh, I'd "definitely" be huntin' down some o' dem dere pusha da button conversion kits.

Comment

• Stan
                  • Mar 2004
                  • Kalispell, MT, USA.
                  • BT3100, Delta 36-717

Originally posted by cabinetman
                  I would guess that the information I got was based on the cost feasibility of converting from manual to motor.

You'll note that the original post had questions relating only to whether the motor in question was the proper amperage, rpm speed and was looking for a wiring diagram. Asking for opinions on whether conversion was a good idea or not was not in the post.

Comment

• cabinetman
                    • Jun 2006
                    • So. Florida
                    • Delta

You'll note that the original post had questions relating only to whether the motor in question was the proper amperage, rpm speed and was looking for a wiring diagram. Asking for opinions on whether conversion was a good idea or not was not in the post.

You'll note that the response was to use an OEM motor. Considering that, if the motor in question had the exact same specifications, then it would be up to you to decide to use it if it wasn't an OEM.

As for offering an opinion on a conversion, I just included his thoughts on your endeavor. Sorry about my not " filtering out" the advice he thought might help you. I sure won't let that happen again.

I informed him of your response and he suggested AN RV FORUM where you can ask for help from experts like him, and they'll tell you exactly what to do with your motor.

Comment

• gsmittle
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2004
                      • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                      • BT 3100

Heh, I'd "definitely" be huntin' down some o' dem dere pusha da button conversion kits.
                      What about a big honkin' cordless drill you could hook up to the crank shaft? Shouldn't be too hard to fabricate some sort of connector.

g.
                      Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
                      Bill & Ted

Comment

• Stan
                        • Mar 2004
                        • Kalispell, MT, USA.
                        • BT3100, Delta 36-717

You'll note that the response was to use an OEM motor.
                        A lot of people do consider buying OEM to be the best way to go, not everyone goes that route though -- personal preference I'm sure.

Considering that, if the motor in question had the exact same specifications, then it would be up to you to decide to use it if it wasn't an OEM.
                        Uhhh.... I thought that is what my post was trying to determine -- if the specifications were the same or not.

As for offering an opinion on a conversion, I just included his thoughts on your endeavor. Sorry about my not " filtering out" the advice he thought might help you. I sure won't let that happen again.
                        Just out of curiosity, did you quote my question to him exactly as it was in the message I posted? Not the virtues of adding a motor, but the requested info on current draw and geared down RPM, and if those matched an OEM motor?

I informed him of your response and he suggested AN RV FORUM where you can ask for help from experts like him, and they'll tell you exactly what to do with your motor.
                        Sorry.... ain't takin' the bait.

Comment

• Stan
                          • Mar 2004
                          • Kalispell, MT, USA.
                          • BT3100, Delta 36-717

Originally posted by gsmittle
                          What about a big honkin' cordless drill you could hook up to the crank shaft? Shouldn't be too hard to fabricate some sort of connector.

g.
                          Did try that with my Makita 14.4 impact driver... no go. Sure would have been nice if that did work though.

Comment

Working...