• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AusRob
    Forum Newbie
    • Jun 2008

My web page

Hi all,
    I have added my URL to my signature, but have substituted an * for an "n". I don't wish to offend anyone, so I'll remove it if you want, but I thought you might like to see some of my other work. (I can export BTW)

Regards,

Rob
    http://www.dam%6efinefurniture.com/
  • MilDoc

Hey! That is some dam* fine furniture!

Thanks for posting!

Comment

• Stytooner
      Roll Tide RIP Lee
      • Dec 2002
      • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
      • BT3100

Great stuff! I like square tables if a room will suit it. There a lot of stuff you can put in the center. Ice sculptures come to mind.

About the link, though. If you website is on the internet, changing a symbol will only serve to PO people. The only case I could see doing this is if you have limited bandwidth and more cost extra.

What you did is perfectly acceptable for email addresses, but crawlers already have your website page. No need to be secretive there.

Great website, too!. Let folks look.
      Lee

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

Originally posted by AusRob
        Hi all,
        I have added my URL to my signature, but have substituted an * for an "n". I don't wish to offend anyone, so I'll remove it if you want, but I thought you might like to see some of my other work. (I can export BTW)

Regards,

Rob

For some reason your link doesn't open up. Probably forum scrutiny of the wording.

Comment

• AusRob
          Forum Newbie
          • Jun 2008

Hi again,
          I cannot use the real word as it is a censored word. So you need to substitute the n for the asterisk.
          As I said I don't want to offend any one or create a fuss.

Regards,

Rob
          http://www.dam%6efinefurniture.com/

Comment

• pelligrini
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2007
            • Fort Worth, TX
            • Craftsman 21829

If you would change the link in your sig to [#url=http://www.****finefurniture.com/]http://www.dam*finefurniture.com/[url#] removing the # signs it would look the same but resolve to your site. You can also substitute any text in between the first end ']' and the '[url'

like:
            My Dam* Fine Furniture Website

LOL - nevermind.... the site's bad word filter doesn't like it. It'll asterisk it out in the url too.
            Last edited by pelligrini; 07-22-2008, 07:02 PM.
            Erik

Comment

• shoottx
              Veteran Member
              • May 2008
              • Plano, Texas
              • BT3000

Neat stuff

And a great website. Yup ya gotta change the * to an N.
              Often in error - Never in doubt

Mike

Comment

• RayintheUK
                Veteran Member
                • Sep 2003
                • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
                • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by AusRob
                Hi again,
                I cannot use the real word as it is a censored word. So you need to substitute the n for the asterisk.
                No need, Rob. If visitors click on your name, there's a direct link to your site there! Great woodworking, BTW!

Ray.
                Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• Alex Franke
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2007
                  • Chapel Hill, NC
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Try this link: http://www.dam%6efinefurniture.com/ - not a "bad" word, but still successfully resolves.

I love the chairs.
                  online at http://www.theFrankes.com
                  while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
                  "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• pelligrini
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2007
                    • Fort Worth, TX
                    • Craftsman 21829

How'd you do that Alex?
                    Erik

Comment

• Alex Franke
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2007
                      • Chapel Hill, NC
                      • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by pelligrini
                      How'd you do that Alex?
                      Short answer is this: I "escaped" one of the characters in the offending word.

Technical answer is this: Because only certain characters are allowed or considered valid in a URL (web site address), there's a way called "escaping" or "encoding" that allows otherwise invalid characters to be included by translating them into a form that only uses valid characters. For example, a space, which is typically not allowed in a URL can be encoded as "%20", which are all characters that are allowed. The percent sign is the escape character, and the 20 is the ASCII value of the space character in hexadecimal. (If you type "www.bt3[space]central.com" into your browser you'll probably see that it encodes it as www.bt3%20central.com for you.)

The browser knows to look for the escape character (the %) and then insert the character represented by the ASCII code following it as the next character in the string. To add the actual escape character to the string, you can escape it -- so to add a %, you just add "%25", where the 25 is the ASCII valud for % in hex.

This works for valid characters, too, which is why it works in the link. The browser sees the "%6e" and says, "oh, I'm supposed to insert an 'n' here instead because the ASCII character set defines 'n' as '6e' in hexadecimal." (It's true -- if you listen really carefully you'll actually hear it saying that )

The forum software doesn't recognize "dam%6e" as a dirty word, so it's not bleeped.
                      Last edited by Alex Franke; 07-23-2008, 10:38 AM. Reason: typos
                      online at http://www.theFrankes.com
                      while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
                      "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• pelligrini
                        Veteran Member
                        • Apr 2007
                        • Fort Worth, TX
                        • Craftsman 21829

OK, I've seen the %20 inserted for spaces all the time but I never really knew why. Thanks for the info.
                        Erik

Comment

Working...