• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

I Have A Line Problem-Need Help

I have a flat panel LCD HDTV. It has the options of using differently shaped display screens. A day or so ago, I changed it from "Cinema" which is full wide to "Normal", which is more square to watch some motorcycle races. I did that to be able to see standings and lap times posted at the very top and bottom of the screen.

Well, this morning, realized it was still on the smaller screen, switched it back to "Cinema" and there is a thin faint black vertical line on the right side about 10% away from the right edge (where the square screen ended). Will it go away on it's own, or is there a fix?
  • Whaler
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Sequim, WA, USA.
    • DW746

When the dealer set up my LCD set he warned me not to leave it on the normal setting for long periods or I could get a burn in. As I watch mostly HD stations I have always left mine on full screen.
    Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• jking
      • May 2003
      • Des Moines, IA.
      • BT3100

Current LCD panels are touted as having no "burn-in" risk. I believe plasma screens still have risk of burn in. I'm not really sure what to suggest, my LCD switches automatically from 16:9 to 4:3 based on the signal it's receiving & I've seen no problems.

Comment

• Whaler
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Sequim, WA, USA.
        • DW746

OOOOps I have a plasma not an LCD.
        Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• MilDoc

Older LCDs could burn in. Newer ones usually don't, but can suffer from "LCD persistence." If that's the case it should disappear. There are ways to get rid of persistence on computer monitors - not sure about TVs. But it often goes away on its own.

Comment

• leehljp
            Just me
            • Dec 2002
            • Tunica, MS
            • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by MilDoc
            Older LCDs could burn in. Newer ones usually don't, but can suffer from "LCD persistence." If that's the case it should disappear. There are ways to get rid of persistence on computer monitors - not sure about TVs. But it often goes away on its own.
            Doc,

You are GOOD! Diagnosing LCDs and curing them too!
            Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• stormdog74
              Established Member
              • Mar 2007
              • Sacramento, CA
              • Ridgid TS3650

I have a plasma and there are a few things built in to eliminate burn in. Scrolling bars, white picture, etc. You could look in the menu for things like that.

It does seem odd for a modern LCD to burn in - and I would think that an HDTV would be modern enough not to have that problem.

Comment

• rjwaldren
                Established Member
                • Nov 2007
                • Fresno, CA

If you have a DVD burner, you could try recording a full screen solid white image and let it run for a while with the screen set so it fills the screen. That pretty much what the plasma's do, and probably what a tech would do if you called them out...Though your TV may have the option in the "service menu", you may be able to find out how to access the service menu on google but be careful if you do.

That pretty much what the plasma's do. I've seen many claims of "no burnin" on LCD's, but I've seen plenty of LCD's that prove them wrong.

Comment

• gerti
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2003
                  • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
                  • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Folks, he said a day or so. Nothing burns in in a day or so.

Comment

• Rand
                    Established Member
                    • May 2005
                    • Vancouver, WA, USA.

I have a similar problem with my 42" plasma. I think it's actually the signal from my satellite receiver that puts the line there. I haven't found a fix for it but it doesn't show when I watch HD full screen.
                    Rand
                    "If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like your thumb."

Comment

• radhak
                      Veteran Member
                      • Apr 2006
                      • Miramar, FL
                      • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Cabman, how new is the set? If you are within warranty, waste no time contacting them. Is it possible that line existed before but you just noticed? Doesn't matter - this generally pops up suddenly, usually the day after your warranty runs out .

Frankly, it's just bad news - that sort of line indicates a bad LCD, not a burn-in.

Internet lore has it that if you unplug everything from the tv and unplug the tv power for 24hrs or more, it might fix it. I'm skeptical, but you could try it.

There is also a slight chance that your power supply is not 'clean', in which case you need a power conditioner, cost you about $150.
                      It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                      - Aristotle

Comment

Working...