• Show
Clear All
  • shoottx
    Veteran Member
    • May 2008
    • Plano, Texas
    • BT3000

The tool you just had to have

I have been reorganizing my shop and cleaning out some of the old boxes and drawers. In the process I have found a couple of interesting items like a shop vacuum powered sander. I remember spending $9.00 to purchase it at a WW show. It didn’t work but I just had to have it.

Are there any tools in your shop that you just had to have and now ask yourself “What Was I thinking?”
    Often in error - Never in doubt

Mike
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Woodworking shows...gotta love 'em. I was at one in the 70's and saw a demo of a Zyliss Vise and imagined all the uses I could have for it and bought it on the spot with all the attachments. I still have it and use it quite often. One of the better impulse purchases I made.

Comment

• RodKirby
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
      • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

Mine was a Radial arm Drill press Great idea - useless in practice

My objective was to get a longer throw - from the column to the chuck. That was fine but - the slightest downward pressure on the chuck would simply make the arm flex - at least 1/4" before any cutting. You can imagine what that does to the idea of a vertical hole.

Anyway - convinced a friend to buy it - even after explaining the problem.
      Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

• Pappy
        The Full Monte
        • Dec 2002
        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 (x2)

On the plus side, the Zyliss vice. Flip side, Porter Cable Profile Sander.
        Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
        Fools because they have to say something.
        Plato

Comment

• leehljp
          Just me
          • Dec 2002
          • Tunica, MS
          • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by Pappy
          On the plus side, the Zyliss vice. Flip side, Porter Cable Profile Sander.
          Ditto on the PC Profile Sander. I even bought it for a specific job on a dresser with lots of mouldings. I ended up doing 99% by hand much more effectively and faster.
          Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• MikeMcCoy
            • Nov 2004
            • Moncks Corner, SC, USA.
            • Delta Contractor Saw

Now I feel better knowing I'm not the only profile sander sucker.

Comment

• crokett
              The Full Monte
              • Jan 2003
              • Mebane, NC, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3000

Another vote for a profile sander. Mine is a Dremel. Every time I use it I wonder why I bought it. So I put it back in the drawer until the next time I forget about how useless it is.
              David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• jhart
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2004
                • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                • BT3100

A Roto Zip. LOML got me the whole package as a gift one year. Probably only used it 5-6 times. Just never think of it when doing something.
                Joe
                "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

• docrowan
                  • Mar 2007
                  • New Albany, MS
                  • BT3100

Plus one on the Roto Zip. Mine is actually the Dremel version. I can't remember if my wife or I bought it, but it is worse than useless. I tried using it again last week and almost threw it out in the garbage.
                  . . .
                  . . .
                  By the way, apropos of nothing, I have a fine Dremel Roto Zip style cutter for sale. Complete with carry case, depth gauge, two extra bits, and instruction manual. This cutter would make a valuable addition to any handyman's shop and all for the low, low price of $79.99. Shipping is free!
                  . . .
                  Sorry guys, I was channelling a craigs list ad for a minute there.
                  - Chris.

Comment

• dkerfoot
                    Veteran Member
                    • Mar 2004
                    • Holland, Michigan
                    • Craftsman 21829

I'll have to agree on the Roto-Zip - sort of - now that I have better tools for the job.

The Roto-Zip is in my opinion a great single purpose tool (drywall hole saw) that got made into a mediocre multi-purpose tool.

I did use it a bunch when I first got it. I installed a marble-look laminate floor in my kitchen. My kitchen has an odd layout - it actually has five door ways. So, there was a ton of detailed edge cutting that had to be done. It did a reasonably good job, but the laminate ate up the bits in a hurry.

I got the kit with the plunge router and grinder attachments. The grinder is not as good as a purpose built tool, but I have used it a few times and gotten the job done. I've never used it as a trim router, but owning it helps prevent me from feeling like I need to go out and buy one.
                    Doug Kerfoot
                    "Sacrificial fence? Aren't they all?"

Smaller, Smarter Hardware Keyloggers
                    "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
                    KeyLlama.com

Comment

• pelligrini
                      Veteran Member
                      • Apr 2007
                      • Fort Worth, TX
                      • Craftsman 21829

I picked up a set of the Turnlock router accessories; base, guide bushings, offset base & circle guide arm at Lowes a while back. Still haven't used them yet. I will blow the dust off the original boxes on occaision though.
                      Erik

Comment

• os1kne
                        • Jan 2003
                        • Atlanta, GA
                        • BT3100

I saw a PC profile sander on craigslist recently. I haven't had much use for one, but I thought that it may be useful for some future projects...now I'm glad that I decided to pass on that purchase.
                        Bill

Comment

• shoottx
                          Veteran Member
                          • May 2008
                          • Plano, Texas
                          • BT3000

Well

I have a PC profile sander, tried to use it to refininsh the front doors this spring. It was a waste of time and energy. My Roto Zip is sitting under the end of my bench just waiting for the right opportunity.

I may have to make a visit to Craig's List for a garage sale!
                          Often in error - Never in doubt

Mike

Comment

• jonmulzer
                            • Dec 2007
                            • Indianapolis, IN

Sell those and pick up a radial arm drill press, lol.

I really don't believe I have ever bought a tool I did not really use. I have always been a pretty practical person, and never had tons of shop space to spare so I have always just bought what I needed and made due with what I have.
                            "A fine beer may be judged with just one sip, but it is better to be thoroughly sure"

Comment

• Popeye
                              Veteran Member
                              • Mar 2003
                              • Woodbine, Ga
                              • Grizzly 1023SL

Craftsman Mini plate jointer, I think it was made by Ryobi and I think they sold it themselves at one time. Got it to make faceframes and picture frames. Not sure I've ever used it. Pat
                              Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>

Comment

Working...