• Show
Clear All
  • Alex Franke
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2007
    • Chapel Hill, NC
    • Ryobi BT3100

A quantum physics question

Okay, I know there are a number of physicists out there, so this is for you -- or for anyone else crazy enough to know this. I'm finding myself troubled by physics again...

I get the whole double-slit experiment, and the seemingly illogical interference you get when you shoot a single photon with both slits open. What I don't get, though, is this: How on Earth can someone isolate a single photon -- an elementary particle with (as I understand it) zero mass -- and "shoot it" with any degree of accuracy at some manufactured experimental apparatus that is clearly at a vastly different scale?

And how can a man-made "half-silvered mirror" possibly be anywhere near accurate enough to conduct repeatable experiments at a subatomic level?

The differences in scale make it seems totally unreasonable -- not unlike trying to machine a super miniature toothpick using a full size cabinet saw -- or driving a finish nail with a shotgun.

Anyone?

Sorry to go physics again. But when I thought, "Where could I go to ask a questions about quantum physics experiments?" the first thing that poped into my head was "BT3Central!" After all, it's not just about the saw
    online at http://www.theFrankes.com
    while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
    "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

It is possible to drive a finish nail with a shotgun. They make slugs for shotguns. Now the non-smart@ss answer is, shoot enough pellets at the nail and eventually you will get enough hits to drive the nail. Of course by then the stock you are shooting into will have disintegrated.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Tom Slick
      Veteran Member
      • May 2005
      • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
      • sears BT3 clone

I just got rid of my physics book that had the real explanation but I think the answer is along the lines crokett eluded to.

you are shooting so many photons that even just a small percentage is still enough to make the experiment work. you are not choosing which photon will behave, you are choosing which billion of photons you are going to throw at it and a few of those are going to have their wavelength orientated just right.
      Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• gsmittle
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2004
        • St. Louis, MO, USA.
        • BT 3100

I'm not a physicist, nor do I play one on TV, but I did see a production of The Physicists once.

My understanding is that this is more of a thought experiment than the real deal. I'm probably way off base, but that's what I recall from reading pop physics...

g.
        Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
        Bill & Ted

Comment

• JR
          The Full Monte
          • Feb 2004
          • Eugene, OR
          • BT3000

I don't know abou that experiment in particular, but in general those experiments are done with with loads of the particles in question (as has already been mentioned) being shot through highly focused magnets. The particle streams are therefore highly focused and going nearly the speed of light.

JR
          JR

Comment

• leehljp
            Just me
            • Dec 2002
            • Tunica, MS
            • BT3000/3100

I think that would be easier to explain than the differences in the rudimentary physics aspects of primary colors of light (RGB) versus the primary colors of pigment (CMYK).
            Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Alex Franke
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2007
              • Chapel Hill, NC
              • Ryobi BT3100

I dunno -- I'm pretty sure they quite literally shoot a single photon at the apparatus. Otherwise they wouldn't be proving quantum superposition -- if there are >1 photons, then you'd expect them to interfere with each other. But if it's only one photon, you don't expect it to interfere with itself, and that's what makes it so baffling.

Although I can see an approach using crokett's shotgun (or was it my shotgun?) If you can control the number of pellets in the shell and take aim at a plate of steel with a small hole in the middle, then eventually you'd get just a single pellet through the hole... I wonder if that's the approach they use...

Originally posted by leehljp
              I think that would be easier to explain than the differences in the rudimentary physics aspects of primary colors of light (RGB) versus the primary colors of pigment (CMYK).
              Now that's just crazy-talk, leehljp!
              "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• MilDoc

Try this explanation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double-slit_experiment

or for a nice explanation with active illustrations:

http://www.colorado.edu/physics/2000...two-slit2.html

Comment

• crokett
                  The Full Monte
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Mebane, NC, USA.
                  • Ryobi BT3000

I wasn't answering the question regarding the photons, I have no idea how they do that. I was just explaining how you can drive a finish nail with a shotgun.
                  David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Alex Franke
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2007
                    • Chapel Hill, NC
                    • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by crokett
                    I wasn't answering the question regarding the photons, I have no idea how they do that. I was just explaining how you can drive a finish nail with a shotgun.
                    See, little did you know that your clever woodworking tips and tricks could help solve the great unanswered questions of the universe!

Comment

Working...