• Show
Clear All
  • LinuxRandal
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2005
    • Independence, MO, USA.
    • bt3100

"good enough" real life humor

I helped out in the old garage this week (one of the mechanics was on vacation), so it has been a long week. (gonna end up being about 20 days working in a row)

I got a call earlier in the week, my b-i-l had tried to use my fathers 8 1/4", $30 (censored) miter saw (mostly plastic). He couldn't cut all the way through what he was cutting.

So I took over my 10", with the LU85 blade, and the miter stand. Cut like butter.....
    I talked to him about helping him finish up yesterday, and he said he would call when he got off. He didn't. I went over today, after work, to help him at least get more done. I made him pull out some tools he wasn't touching, like a level (most people like their railings level, LOL). We got all but the ballasters up, when he had to get ready for his off duty. I wanted to redo a section (I would call it a lean to), that he did, and asked him what happened to his old Ryobi miter saw.
    He said, my sister expected him to USE his quality tools, and get stuff done. So he got rid of it. He does stuff, just good enough so he can say it is done, and she won't complain (until he delays something for a LONG time).
    He doesn't want that section touched, as it is "good enough".
    I just chuckled.

I figure I will go find out what they have left over, and redo it next weekend, when I go over to get him up to finish the ballasters. (insert rofl and shaking head smilely)
    She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.
  • BobSch
    • Aug 2004
    • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
    • BT3100

Sounds like he's not cut out to be a craftsman.
    Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• Hellrazor
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2003
      • Abyss, PA
      • Ridgid R4512

Originally posted by BobSch
      Sounds like he's not cut out to be a craftsman.

We call them "crapsman"

Comment

• ironhat
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2004
        • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
        • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

My FIL was like that. Just 'good enough' to say that you did it and **never** do *any* maintenance to anything. He would even get upset when I would get the ladder out and dig the sprouting trees and leaves out of his gutters. One of the nicest guys I ever had the pleasure to know, though!
        Blessings,
        Chiz

Comment

• Ed62
          The Full Monte
          • Oct 2006
          • NW Indiana
          • BT3K

Hmmm, kinda like putting duct tape on a leaking water pipe.

Ed
          Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• crokett
            The Full Monte
            • Jan 2003
            • Mebane, NC, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000

'Good enough' is there to be used sparingly and depending on circumstances. For instance, the retaining wall I built when I jackhammered out the concrete patio is 'good enough'. It will hold the dirt back and it is level and plumb, but the brick work does not look as good as that done by a real mason. If it did, I'd still be working on it.
            David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

Working...