• Show
Clear All
  • OpaDC
    Established Member
    • Feb 2008
    • Pensacola, FL
    • Ridgid TS3650

Economy getting better?

Based on the amount of money I see and hear going up in smoke literally around here, I'm guessing there is more disposable income available than the economists tell us. And fireworks aren't even legal in this state. You have to cross in to Alabama to get them.

Just an observation.

second star to the right and straight on til morning
  • iceman61
    • Oct 2007
    • West TN
    • Bosch 4100-09

Somebody must be making money bootlegging fireworks down there.

Around the this area, the seasonal firework stands start having 1/2 price sales on the night of the 4th & up to 75% off tomorrow. Tonight my son & I ran out to get him some fireworks & all of the stands were almost empty. I've never seen them that empty of stock on the night of the 4th. The huge sales are due to many people staying home for vacation instead of paying high fuel prices. No telling how many RV's I saw sitting idle in the driveways today.

Comment

• TB Roye
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Sacramento, CA, USA.
      • BT3100

Sounded like Bagdad around here last night. Can't beleive the stuff these idiots can. Safea and Sane these weren't and cops wouldn't even come out unless we could Identify the people in a line up.

Tom

Comment

• sparkeyjames
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Redford MI.
        • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by TB Roye
        Sounded like Bagdad around here last night.
        Same here and it went on from 9pm till just past midnight. I did not see any flashing lights from the EMS trucks so I assume that everyone kept their fingers last night.

I was able to watch most of the fun out of the window above my computer desk so I did not even have to go outside and risk getting bit by mosquitoes. I did go out briefly to get something out of my car and the smell of the explosives/combustables used in the fireworks was thick.

Comment

• RAFlorida
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2008
          • Green Swamp in Central Florida. Gator property!
          • Ryobi BT3000

I agree with you OpaDC. There was everybody firing

off the artilery! Haines City had the largest and most expensif (?) show to date. All I had money for was my own homemade stuff. I knew of two people who had brought back into state some of the most lethal stuff I've ever seen for the average Joe to have...

Comment

• crokett
            The Full Monte
            • Jan 2003
            • Mebane, NC, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000

Here on the lake we don't bother with our own fireworks. We can see several neighbors' displays and we can see the big ones put on by the towns. When our kids are a little older we will start going into town.
            David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
              The Full Monte
              • May 2007
              • Sunshine State
              • BT3000

Different folks celebrate in different ways. Personally, I'll take beer... That way, I won't blow my fingers off.

Comment

• Ed62
                The Full Monte
                • Oct 2006
                • NW Indiana
                • BT3K

Originally posted by OpaDC
                Based on the amount of money I see and hear going up in smoke literally around here, I'm guessing there is more disposable income available than the economists tell us. And fireworks aren't even legal in this state.
                Or disposable plastic. I can handle a few fireworks, but that dynamite is something else.

Ed
                Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• billwmeyer
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2003
                  • Weir, Ks, USA.
                  • BT3000

In my little town, there was definately a lot less fireworks than most years. However a neighbor down the street shot off many hundreds of dollars worth on the 4th. We enjoyed it from our front porch for free.

Bill
                  "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

• DaveS
                    • May 2003
                    • Minneapolis,MN

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
                    Different folks celebrate in different ways. Personally, I'll take beer... That way, I won't blow my fingers off.
                    Typically, beer **is** involved when fireworks lead to departed digits...

On the other hand (no pun intended), good (a.k.a. finger-maiming) fireworks have not been legal in quite some time.

Comment

Working...