I Should Write A Book

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • 15216
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

    #1

    I Should Write A Book

    I've had a lot of circumstances in life that were fun, sad, educational, and some even life threatening. As a follow up to my thread Death In The Family, nothing really compares to what my wife and I were hit with.

    We weren't prepared for this bizarre situation. It would have been bad news if he had a heart attack or got hit by a car, but our mindset wasn't up to what we had to deal with. We realize we couldn't have tried any harder to maintain a close family tie with him. He was a loner and for long periods of time would just "disappear" from our lives.

    When I first met LOML, he had been out of communication for 12 years. We hired a private investigator to find him. When we did, he did stay in contact for a few years and then would "drop out" again. He had bought 2.5 acres up state Florida, in the middle of the woods. He then bought a bulldozer to put in his own road to the property. He cleared a 150' area and set up a large double wide 4 BR, 2 BA mobile home.

    I think the last we heard from him was about a year ago. His closest neighbor hadn't seen him for a while and called police to check him out if he was OK. When they got there they found him deceased in his bed. They figure he had been dead about 3 weeks to a month. In one of the bedrooms was a jacuzzi full of water, maybe 300 gallons, and there was about 150 lbs of dog food laid out, and a back door was propped open.

    We now think he either committed suicide or knew he was fatally ill. He did what he could for the dog. He was in dire debt, had no money, and there was no food in the house. The police found the dog next to the bed and she wouldn't leave the bedside. Animal control had to be called to get the dog.

    When LOML went there, she said the smell was overwhelming and the place was swarming with flies. She called a hazmat team and they estimated the cleanup to be about $4000. We needed to get some paperwork and his computer out of there to see if there were any clues, list the creditors, and get his records together. He left no will, and the only note found had to do with wanting a few books to be given to a friend. Other than that, no farewells or explanations. The hazmat team put the computer and the paperwork in one of the bathrooms and treated with ultra violet and ozone.

    LOML doubled plastic bagged those things and brought them home. I opened them up in the garage, and within minutes the garage became "off limits".

    LOML was really torn up thinking what the dog went through. We found a rescue league who found a family out of state that will be adopting the dog. This is going to be another stressed weekend. We will be driving 260 miles to the animal control that has been holding the dog. This weekend was the deadline for the family to decide the dog's destiny. She would have been cremated on Saturday.

    We will be bringing the dog home, and next week we will take the dog to a Vet and get an interstate health certificate. Then we will be driving the dog back upstate to Orlando to a location that rescue will pick up the dog and take her to her new home.

    He was closest to LOML of the siblings, and what was weird was that among the paperwork we found our Christmas card we sent...it was never opened. We thought if he ever had a real problem he could call us, but I guess we were wrong. Losing touch even short term can leave many unanswered questions. This has been some ordeal that I wouldn't wish on anyone.

    Sorry about my dumping all of this...I guess I just needed to vent.
    .
  • jhart
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2004
    • 1715
    • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
    • BT3100

    #2
    C-man, I have empathy for what you are going through, as I have gone through something similar twice in the last 3 years, one for my younger brother and one for one of my sons. Still trying to get my son's stuff cleared up after he died suddenly a year ago June 9th. I wish you the best in dealing with it, as each time you talk to someone about it, it bring back the sadness.
    Joe
    "All things are difficult before they are easy"

    Comment

    • Uncle Cracker
      The Full Monte
      • May 2007
      • 7091
      • Sunshine State
      • BT3000

      #3
      It is tough when a family member has mental "difficulties". There are usually many victims besides the unfortunate one. Dealing with this sort of thing makes you stronger.

      Comment

      • Richard in Smithville
        Veteran Member
        • Oct 2006
        • 3014
        • On the TARDIS
        • BT 3100

        #4
        My heart goes out to you and you family C-man. All can I say is hang in there. My thoughts and prayes are with you.
        From the "deep south" part of Canada

        Richard in Smithville

        http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

        Comment

        • footprintsinconc
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2006
          • 1759
          • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
          • BT3100

          #5
          reading your post actually welled up my eyes. we all should learn from this. i dont think there are any words that can describe what you and your wife are going through. just hang in there and this too shall pass. once this is behind, i am sure that you both will come out stronger.
          _________________________
          omar

          Comment

          • cgallery
            Veteran Member
            • Sep 2004
            • 4503
            • Milwaukee, WI
            • BT3K

            #6
            Wow, I know you touched on a lot but I'm certain there is much more that I can't even contemplate. Hope it all works out for you and your wife.

            Comment

            • vaking
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2005
              • 1428
              • Montclair, NJ, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3100-1

              #7
              C-Man,
              Look at it this way. He lived independent self-sufficient life. While he was alive he did not burden anyone. The only creature he really touched was the dog and she could not have been happier with anyone else. He did not stay in touch with you or your wife but he may have had many possible motives for that. I know some people who are fanatically afraid to become a burden for others. He might have known something about self and was in that category. All-in-all - he lived and died the way he wanted. It was a hard but good life, he had no regrets, niether should you. You said he did not leave a will - you are wrong. He cared most for the dog and you effectively executed his will already by finding her a home. He did not leave a written will - who cares about it. He left food and water for the dog and a note to pass few books to a friend. That was his will. From what you described - he was a proud good man, there was nothing wrong with him or his psycho. The best thing for you to do - send books to a friend, let his creditors fight all they want for whatever material is left after him. This isn't your fight - he did not care for it himself. You keep the memory of a strong proud man who lived all his life and died on his terms.
              Alex V

              Comment

              • Ed62
                The Full Monte
                • Oct 2006
                • 6021
                • NW Indiana
                • BT3K

                #8
                C-Man, our prayers are with you and your wife at this time. I don't know what else to say.

                Ed
                Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

                For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

                Comment

                • ironhat
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2004
                  • 2553
                  • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
                  • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

                  #9
                  I think that Alex put it well. Prayers up for the both of you, my friend.
                  God bless,
                  Chiz
                  Blessings,
                  Chiz

                  Comment

                  • Rand
                    Established Member
                    • May 2005
                    • 492
                    • Vancouver, WA, USA.

                    #10
                    C-man,

                    Words fall painfully short in times like these. "Sorry for your loss." "Things happen for a reason." "It's god's will." Don't hold much weight or meaning when faced with the reality of your situation.

                    You will get through this. Try to take some comfort in the fact that you have people from all over the country, many who you have never even met, supporting you.

                    Rand
                    Rand
                    "If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like your thumb."

                    Comment

                    • docrowan
                      Senior Member
                      • Mar 2007
                      • 893
                      • New Albany, MS
                      • BT3100

                      #11
                      Cabinetman,

                      Like others, I cannot seem to think of anything to say that would seem appropriate in such a tragedy. I am a believer, and I will pray for you and especially your wife. And there are obviously people who care on this site, so I for one would say continue to post updates or calls for whatever support we can give.

                      May God bless you and keep you.
                      - Chris.

                      Comment

                      • Bruce Cohen
                        Veteran Member
                        • May 2003
                        • 2698
                        • Nanuet, NY, USA.
                        • BT3100

                        #12
                        Hey Cab,

                        I can only guess(?) at how you're feeling. I've been thru some really weird $hit in my life, but there's no way in h*ll that I could fathom what you and your wife are going thru.

                        I really wish there was something I could do.

                        Keep up and keep living, it may not get better, but it does get easier.

                        You guys are in my thoughts.

                        Bruce
                        "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
                        Samuel Colt did"

                        Comment

                        • RAFlorida
                          Veteran Member
                          • Apr 2008
                          • 1179
                          • Green Swamp in Central Florida. Gator property!
                          • Ryobi BT3000

                          #13
                          Cabinetman, as others have stated, I also agree. I am sorry

                          for you and your wife's loss. Words really never seem to express what you feel. Alex said a whole lot in his post, and I think we all agree with him. Prayers are with you and loyl.

                          Comment

                          • crokett
                            The Full Monte
                            • Jan 2003
                            • 10627
                            • Mebane, NC, USA.
                            • Ryobi BT3000

                            #14
                            Wow Mike. My prayers are with you and your wife. I can't grasp what you and your wife are going through either - and I too have had some funky stuff happen in my life.
                            David

                            The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

                            Comment

                            • cabinetman
                              Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                              • Jun 2006
                              • 15216
                              • So. Florida
                              • Delta

                              #15
                              Originally posted by vaking
                              C-Man,
                              Look at it this way. He lived independent self-sufficient life. While he was alive he did not burden anyone. The only creature he really touched was the dog and she could not have been happier with anyone else. He did not stay in touch with you or your wife but he may have had many possible motives for that. I know some people who are fanatically afraid to become a burden for others. He might have known something about self and was in that category. All-in-all - he lived and died the way he wanted. It was a hard but good life, he had no regrets, niether should you. You said he did not leave a will - you are wrong. He cared most for the dog and you effectively executed his will already by finding her a home. He did not leave a written will - who cares about it. He left food and water for the dog and a note to pass few books to a friend. That was his will. From what you described - he was a proud good man, there was nothing wrong with him or his psycho. The best thing for you to do - send books to a friend, let his creditors fight all they want for whatever material is left after him. This isn't your fight - he did not care for it himself. You keep the memory of a strong proud man who lived all his life and died on his terms.

                              I have to agree with your take of the issues and the points you made. That's about how I'm seeing this, and this is how I'm trying to comfort my wife. But, it's difficult to understand the impact unless it happens to you.

                              I thank everyone that replied, and wasn't looking for sympathy, but was so taken back by this event that I realized it's part of life. We never think things like this can happen to us. Unless something like this has happened to you before, I doubt we are ever prepared to fully understand.

                              It's impossible to be enough of a psychologist to sense what may have been done along the way to prevent this outcome. This may serve as a heads up for some. As for his destiny, I doubt that we would have been able to make any changes.
                              .

                              Comment

                              Working...