Figure This One Out!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • 15216
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

    #1

    Figure This One Out!!

    Saw this on another forum...very interesting use of M&T's.
    .

    .
  • RAFlorida
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2008
    • 1179
    • Green Swamp in Central Florida. Gator property!
    • Ryobi BT3000

    #2
    Now THAT's what ya call art!

    LOL. Somebody did some good sketch editing for that project. What with the scale paper, and other room objects, it looks real. But it ain't. Glad you posted that Cabinetman, it's a real eye opener at 7:17am....

    Comment

    • Copper
      Established Member
      • Feb 2005
      • 343
      • Madison, WI.
      • BT3100

      #3
      The shadow on the middle cross bar (the impossible one) shows light coming from the upper left of the picture while all the other shadows show light coming from behind the photographer (upper right).
      - Dennis

      "If your mind goes blank, don't forget to turn off the sound." --Red Green
      and yes, it's a potato.

      Comment

      • jackellis
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2003
        • 2638
        • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
        • BT3100

        #4
        In two dimensions (as in a drawing), maybe. In three dimensions, no way! There's Dennis's observation about the lighting and the middle cross piece is not possible in any geometry I ever learned.

        Comment

        • Russianwolf
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2004
          • 3152
          • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
          • One of them there Toy saws

          #5
          It's an optical illusion based on one very specific orientation.

          The piece that confounding you guys is not solid. It is two independant pieces. The first piece is mortised into the upright on the right and is what it looks like, a through mortise.
          The upright on the left has a through mortise but the piece extending out (towards the righthand upright in aspect) is miter cut very precisely so that it ends on the visual plane that the right upright makes. So it looks like it continues through the right upright, but in reality it is hanging in mid-air.


          hint: take a piece of paper and use it as a straight edge. The "diagonal stretcher" does not line up top and bottom to the through mortise.
          Mike
          Lakota's Dad

          If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

          Comment

          • crokett
            The Full Monte
            • Jan 2003
            • 10627
            • Mebane, NC, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000

            #6
            Very clever. I had to look at it for a while before I saw what you are talking about, Mike. It helped to cover up one of the uprights so I could see where the cross pieces were all going.
            David

            The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

            Comment

            • leehljp
              The Full Monte
              • Dec 2002
              • 8803
              • Tunica, MS
              • BT3000/3100

              #7
              I got one of those, right next to my pet rock! It makes perfect sense if you look at it through a Japanese thought!
              Hank Lee

              Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

              Comment

              • Copper
                Established Member
                • Feb 2005
                • 343
                • Madison, WI.
                • BT3100

                #8
                Yep, I see it now. Funny how the shadows lie though. Now that I look closer I can see that the shadow of the piece that is sticking out in front on the left side doesn't meet up with the post on the right. That should have tipped me off, too.
                - Dennis

                "If your mind goes blank, don't forget to turn off the sound." --Red Green
                and yes, it's a potato.

                Comment

                • poolhound
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2006
                  • 3196
                  • Phoenix, AZ
                  • BT3100

                  #9
                  This is either very cleverly crafted as others have said so from the one specific angle it looks like that one bar is attached at both ends even though its not. There may also be some dudicial PhotoChop going on at least to clean up the join. I cant blow it up big enough to see the tell tale signs but either way its very cool.
                  Jon

                  Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat
                  ________________________________

                  We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                  techzibits.com

                  Comment

                  • footprintsinconc
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2006
                    • 1759
                    • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
                    • BT3100

                    #10
                    that is nice!

                    i would never have caught what you stated mike. i noticed that the top line didnt match up, but i never would have seen that miter. my guess would have been photo editing too.
                    _________________________
                    omar

                    Comment

                    • Ed62
                      The Full Monte
                      • Oct 2006
                      • 6021
                      • NW Indiana
                      • BT3K

                      #11
                      Very cool. I thought for a minute I was drunk, but I haven't had a drink for almost 30 years.

                      Ed
                      Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

                      For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

                      Comment

                      • RodKirby
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2002
                        • 3136
                        • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
                        • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

                        #12
                        M. C. Escher would love it!

                        Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

                        Comment

                        Working...