• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pierhogunn
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2003
    • Harrisburg, NC, USA.

Dewalt Service

A while back, I some how managed to sacrifice my Dewalt DW317K Jigsaw to the gods of home trim carpentry in the construction of my latest built-in while trying to cut an arc through 3/4" mdf.

A piece of the magnesium housing flew off, and exposed the greenish grease that they use to keep the orbital stuff working.

Well, I took it to the dewalt factory store with the logic that even though it's 1 year warranty has long since expired fixing it would be alot less expensive than a new one.

I have to tell you the repair was going to be over $60, but the guy who rung me up said,

"it's obvious that you weren't using this as a hammer, and this looks to be something that we will cover, we will call you when it's done"

I was shocked, I was ready to shell out some good cash for my tool, and these guys just fixed it for me, no questions, no looks, just a smile and a sort of thanks for trusting us to fix it sort of smile.

Needless to say I am a Dewalt fan for now

on the down side, though, some of the parts are factory back-ordered until at least july 12th...

They said that the innards of my saws orbital workings were a complete mess...

that said, does anyone have any tutorials for setting up, and cutting large radius arcs in sheet goods?
    It's Like I've always said, it's amazing what an agnostic can't do if he dosent know whether he believes in anything or not

Monty Python's Flying Circus

Dan in Harrisburg, NC
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

It's pretty simple to do. You can cut a trammel arm out of most anything, even 1/4" ply will work. You could cut the end that will mount to your router base the width of the base. Use a 1/4" carbide tipped straight cutter. Measure back from the backside of a flute to a point on the trammel arm the length of the radius. Drive through a finish nail (could be a 4d) into the substrate to be routed. Leave the nail proud of the trammel arm so you can remove it. Make a few passes, like 1/4" depth of cut at a time per pass.

Comment

• pierhogunn
      Veteran Member
      • Sep 2003
      • Harrisburg, NC, USA.

trammel arm? okay,

the arc in question was a 5'11 long arc with a 6" Deflection in the center,

after several tries with a guide bent into an arc, and never getting a cut where the jigsaw blade started to go all sideways, I just settled for a nice piece of molding to cover the place where the arc was going to go
      It's Like I've always said, it's amazing what an agnostic can't do if he dosent know whether he believes in anything or not

Monty Python's Flying Circus

Dan in Harrisburg, NC

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

If you have a router, that's the way I do it. You can use the trammel arm as a compass to draw the cut line and to rout the substrate. If you remove the plastic plate on the bottom of the router, mount the 1/4" to the chassis of the router with the same screws. Countersink the holes in the ply so the screws are slightly recessed. Handling large sheet stock to be cut on a band saw is very cumbersome. I wouldn't recommend a band saw. If it's that large, in lieu of a router, I would use a jig saw.

The trammel arm is easy to make as long as you like and would look like this:

Comment

• jhart
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2004
          • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
          • BT3100

I've used the local DeWalt service center in the Twin Cities and couldn't agree more that they do a fine job. Never had them tell me it would be free though. Sounds like you're getting a good deal, although it also sounds like something wasn't right with the jigsaw to come apart like that.

You can also buy a trammel if you don't want to make one yourself. Rockler/Woodcraft, etc. has them. They are really easy to make yourself.
          Joe
          "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

Working...