Be Careful when working with a Nail Gun ....

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MilDoc

Be Careful when working with a Nail Gun ....

Or this could happen to you, too.....
    Last edited by Guest; 02-11-2011, 06:11 PM.
  • RAFlorida
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2008
    • Green Swamp in Central Florida. Gator property!
    • Ryobi BT3000

What was his excuse??

"Well doctor, I had an itch and that nailer was doin' fine till I pulled the trigger." BTW, in no way am I trying make light of something that could be very dangerous or deadly.

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

I am curious - what was the outcome of this situation?

As per your post on most dangerous tools some months ago - the nail gun is the sleeper of dangerous tools. It is usually not thought of as being in the "most dangerous" group per se, but IMO it has one of the highest percentage of accident rates per tool usage.

One of the problems with nail guns is its own intrigue. It just "invites" stupidity testing. When placed in an environment with whirling blades of all kinds, it just seems placid by comparison. That is probably why "some" people are intrigued to "experiment."
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
        The Full Monte
        • May 2007
        • Sunshine State
        • BT3000

This one's been making the rounds in the news the last couple of days... The guy got hung up in the hose while putting up some lattice, and the gun went off. The doctors actually borrowed a claw hammer from hospital maintenance (I kid you not!), and yanked the nail out just as you would from a 2x4... The guy is fine... (and awful lucky)

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

Looking at the location of the nail, it appears to be at the side rear of his skull. Maybe he wasn't the shooter.

Comment

• Hellrazor
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2003
            • Abyss, PA
            • Ridgid R4512

Maybe they should have a mandatory waiting period and a common sense test before being able to pick it up

Comment

• Ed62
              The Full Monte
              • Oct 2006
              • NW Indiana
              • BT3K

Originally posted by leehljp
              One of the problems with nail guns is its own intrigue. It just "invites" stupidity testing. When placed in an environment with whirling blades of all kinds, it just seems placid by comparison. That is probably why "some" people are intrigued to "experiment."
              I've laid more roofing shingles than the average guy, and I used a roofing nailer. When you get used to using one when laying shingles, you just keep the trigger pulled, and slap the gun down on the shingle to shoot a nail. You can lay shingles very fast that way, but just a small slip, and you can have a problem. One of my sons shot himself in the leg. The nail couldn't be easily removed, and he couldn't bend his leg after he shot it. It was quite a job getting him down a ladder so we could get him to the emergency room.

Ed
              Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• RAFlorida
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2008
                • Green Swamp in Central Florida. Gator property!
                • Ryobi BT3000

Ed62, did your son full recover from his accident?

I'm hoping so. Did the nail hit a bone? Been in the construction trade all my life and know how it can be with those tools.

Comment

• buckeye95
                  Established Member
                  • May 2003
                  • Columbus, Ohio.
                  • Ridgid TS2400

What doesn't make sense to me about this is that the information I read stated this happened when one of the guys was messing with the hose:

"Chandler was holding up lattice for his backyard deck while his friend, Phil Kern, stood on a ladder with a nail gun. Kern, also 60, was trying to unkink the nail gun's tangled compressor hose when, without warning, the gun fired a single nail."

This sounds very odd to me. I wonder if they had the bump feature disabled or it was broken ? Maybe he was trying to swing the nailer to unkink the hose and he bumped the edge of the head enough to engage the safety and shoot the nail, but it was no pressed on material and shot off? Short of a major failure with the gun's safety, "without warning" sounds fishy to me. Nail guns have to make the legal departments of some of these companies cringe.

On a side note, I read an article a few months ago that described the huge increase in nail gun injuries with the introduction of them into the consumer and DIY markets.

Be safe.

Comment

Working...