Grilling season is fully underway at my house!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jonmulzer
    • Dec 2007
    • Indianapolis, IN

Grilling season is fully underway at my house!

About a week ago I picked up a new grill. The wee little charcoal one I had been using for a while was just not cutting it so I went to Menards and picked up a new Char Griller Pro Deluxe with the add-on side firebox for smoking. Excellent grill! Heavy cast iron cooking grates, adjustable height on the charcoal rack, great damper control and about 800 sq. in. of cooking real estate. Friday night I cooked out for a group at my house and 7 half pound burgers, 2 salmon burgers and about a dozen bratwurst did not even put a decent dent in the cooking capacity and the cast iron grates put nice dark grill marks on the food. I threw an extra half chimneys worth of charcoal in the side firebox for some hickory chips soaked in red wine overnight and received "atta boys" from everyone there.

Hopefully everyone here has knocked the winter dust off their grill already. Any good recipes? What is everyone's preference? Charcoal or gas? I am thinking that this coming weekend I might have to toss a brisket in there to smoke. A good seasoning rub and spray it down with apple juice every 30-45 minutes and you don't even want sauce.
    "A fine beer may be judged with just one sip, but it is better to be thoroughly sure"
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

I have a gas grill due to no time. However I was using charcol to burn out a stump this weekend and my wife decided she wants a charcoal grill because she forgot how good it smells. So she is talking about getting me one for Father's Day.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
      The Full Monte
      • May 2007
      • Sunshine State
      • BT3000

I'm lucky, because I have both. I generally use the gas when I need precise temp control or am in a big hurry, but go to the char when the job warrants it. I like having a choice... Did a turducken in the gasser over the holiday, and steaks and corn over the coals this last weekend...

Comment

• jonmulzer
        • Dec 2007
        • Indianapolis, IN

Originally posted by crokett
        I have a gas grill due to no time. However I was using charcol to burn out a stump this weekend and my wife decided she wants a charcoal grill because she forgot how good it smells. So she is talking about getting me one for Father's Day.
        Don't forget how it tastes. Gas is a hundred times more convenient, no doubt. But you can never get that same taste. I used gas for a LONG time and then ate at a friend's home where he had grilled on charcoal and I was a convert again. Nothing beats burgers off charcoal. If you are looking for a great grill, I suggest looking into Char Grillers offerings. I was impressed and would consider it to be close to perfect as far as grills go.

I'm lucky, because I have both. I generally use the gas when I need precise temp control or am in a big hurry, but go to the char when the job warrants it. I like having a choice... Did a turducken in the gasser over the holiday, and steaks and corn over the coals this last weekend...
        A chicken inside a duck inside a turkey? I have not had one of those for a LONG time. How long do they take to cook?
        "A fine beer may be judged with just one sip, but it is better to be thoroughly sure"

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
          The Full Monte
          • May 2007
          • Sunshine State
          • BT3000

Originally posted by jonmulzer
          A chicken inside a duck inside a turkey? I have not had one of those for a LONG time. How long do they take to cook?
          Depends on weight and cooking temp. I try to cook at 300-325, and use a meat thermometer (go to 165 degrees). Takes maybe 5 hours, or a little longer. I just drink beer till it's done.

Comment

• OpaDC
            Established Member
            • Feb 2008
            • Pensacola, FL
            • Ridgid TS3650

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
            ...and steaks and corn over the coals this last weekend...
            NOW we're talkin'. Only ever use charcoal. You might want to try Jack Daniels wood chips, the old aging barrels. Just opening the bag is awesome. Works best on pork and chickens. I have heard about boiling oak in water with lots of fresh rosemary, supposed to infuse the rosemary flavor into the wood. Don't know if it's true but thinking of trying it.

Have often wondered, anyone ever used the chips from woodworking? I know most of it is sawdust and unusable, but... (thinking cherry and such)

second star to the right and straight on til morning

Comment

• Daryl
              • May 2004

I use a gas grill all year unless it is real cold or snowy. I save my oak sawdust and scraps and put in a pan off to the side. Makes a nice smoky fire.
              Sometimes the old man passed out and left the am radio on so I got to hear the oldie songs and current event kind of things

Comment

• jonmulzer
                • Dec 2007
                • Indianapolis, IN

Originally posted by OpaDC
                I have heard about boiling oak in water with lots of fresh rosemary, supposed to infuse the rosemary flavor into the wood. Don't know if it's true but thinking of trying it.
                I like hickory chips soaked in red wine overnight. Give that a shot sometime. I usually have several bottles open at one time and when one starts to get a little old I just throw it in a plastic bag with the chips and leave it until the next day. Makes for a very dense smoke for a lot of flavor when you are only cooking for a short time.

Comment

• dkerfoot
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2004
                  • Holland, Michigan
                  • Craftsman 21829

As much as I like charcoal, I am a true gas convert. I grill probably 5 days a week during the summer and once or twice a week in the middle of the winter.

My Mom bought a gas grill for Christmas when I was a teenager. I'll never forget how amazing it was to eat a grilled steak in the middle of January in Minnesota.

We keep charcoal around and use it when we go to the beach or a park, probably every other week or so in the summer.

I am thinking a hand plane would make a fine smoker chip maker...
                  Doug Kerfoot
                  "Sacrificial fence? Aren't they all?"

Smaller, Smarter Hardware Keyloggers
                  "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
                  KeyLlama.com

Comment

• MilDoc

I'm a charcoal fanatic myself. Why grill over gas? I could do that in the oven.

And i LOVE those Jack Daniels chips!

Comment

• Zenaca
                      Established Member
                      • Nov 2006
                      • Idaho

I use a gas grill with little pouches made out of aluminum foil with wood chips or pellets tastes just as good as charcoal to me.

Comment

• Tom Slick
                        Veteran Member
                        • May 2005
                        • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
                        • sears BT3 clone

I use a gas weber year around, at least twice a week.
                        Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• jonmulzer
                          • Dec 2007
                          • Indianapolis, IN

Originally posted by Zenaca
                          I use a gas grill with little pouches made out of aluminum foil with wood chips or pellets tastes just as good as charcoal to me.
                          That is just blasphemy right there!!

Comment

• just started
                            • Mar 2008
                            • suburban Philly

I like the taste of charcoal better, but I have a gas grill that I use year-round and got tired of running out in the middle of cooking so I converted to natural gas.

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
                              Veteran Member
                              • Oct 2006
                              • On the TARDIS
                              • BT 3100

Every year when we go camping, I'll cook right over the fire at least once during the trip. That includes wrapping the taters and veg in foil( with a little butter) and throwing them into the hot coals.
                              From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...