• Show
Clear All
  • dkerfoot
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2004
    • Holland, Michigan
    • Craftsman 21829

Fine Hand Tools for the Kitchen

Has anyone else fallen in love with a good knife set? Last year, I got my wife a set of four Wusthof Classic knives for mother's Day (her request).

http://www.wusthof.com/en/classic.asp

I think I like them more than she does (and she is very happy with them). They just feel so good in the hand. Now, if I grab one of our old stamped blade knives, I can't believe how flimsy and junky they feel.

Wusthof does make several different lines of knives and some of them (especially the Emeril line) are not nearly so nice.

I was skeptical that they were worth the price, but now I am a believer. I even listed a 6" cook's knife or a set of steak knives as a Father's Day suggestion!
    Doug Kerfoot
    "Sacrificial fence? Aren't they all?"

Smaller, Smarter Hardware Keyloggers
    "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
    KeyLlama.com
  • pierhogunn
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2003
    • Harrisburg, NC, USA.

I have a set that we got at the beginning of my marriage, the things are great tools, and with a little bit of honing steel attention, I can cut anything cleanly w/out much effort. I just love my 8" chef and 8" sandwich blades.

I have the cleaver, but don't have much call for it. But I do have it when needed for a quick hwack.
    It's Like I've always said, it's amazing what an agnostic can't do if he dosent know whether he believes in anything or not

Monty Python's Flying Circus

Dan in Harrisburg, NC

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

we got a J.A Henckels set for our wedding, and we've been adding pieces as we can. We love the knives, but have had nothing near their quality to compare them to.

Comment

• bruffc
        Established Member
        • Mar 2004
        • Gardner, KS, USA.
        • BT3

We have the Grand Prix II set and love' em.
        Bryan

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
          The Full Monte
          • May 2007
          • Sunshine State
          • BT3000

I've got the Gran Prix II set, too (the mega-set with forged steaks). Had them since they first came out with the "II" series, and really love them (cut myself a few times, though, but that was my fault). You are right about the Emerils, they are crap. Just another case of somebody trying to make a buck by putting a famous face with an inferior product.

Comment

• os1kne
            • Jan 2003
            • Atlanta, GA
            • BT3100

My wife and I got a set on Henckels as a wedding gift. She insisted that I go with her when she/we created our wedding gift registry (pure torture for a guy). As she picked out various/numerous kitchen items, glassware, towels, etc., she said "aren't you going to pick out anything?" Looking around at a bunch of can openers, hot plates, coffee makers, blenders, and other stuff that didn't interest me, I saw the knife section. A good knife set was the most manly thing around. Now, I actually enjoy helping out in the kitchen by cutting up vegetables, etc.
            Bill

Comment

• pecker
              Established Member
              • Jun 2003

I bought myself the 3 piece set of Global knives and I don't let the wife near them.

They are razor sharp, and a bit delicate...like the BT saw. Not for the ham-fisted.
              One of the great things is that they also make a manual blade sharpener that actually works. It has water stone wheels, and a few passes through it gets them very sharp again.

Comment

• dkerfoot
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2004
                • Holland, Michigan
                • Craftsman 21829

The Wusthof sharpener works well too. A couple passes through the carbide edges, followed by a few more through the ceramic rods and they are very, very sharp again.

Now if I could just get LOML to stop scraping the knife sideways across the cutting board after each cut. Sigh...
                Doug Kerfoot
                "Sacrificial fence? Aren't they all?"

Smaller, Smarter Hardware Keyloggers
                "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
                KeyLlama.com

Comment

Working...