• Show
Clear All
  • scmhogg
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2003
    • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
    • BT3000

Cigar Tee

Last night, after tennis, my 15 year opponent asked me if I could make a Cigar Tee. He wanted something that would hold his cigar while he is putting. He decided not to lay it on the ground when he saw the chemicals they use at our club.

So...I made this today. A scrap of Gabon Ebony and a length of 1/4" brass rod. I turned the rod on my mini lathe. This was the first time I tried to turn metal. The tee is 5" tall.

Steve
    I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Nice work. How did the brass turn? Did you have to get special gouges for it? Is the darkening on the brass a result of the turning or did you color it?
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

That's really cool Steve. Is this a first for golfing? Now that I think about it, I'd want one about 4' tall so bending down wouldn't be necessary.

Comment

• scmhogg
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2003
        • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
        • BT3000

David,

The look of the brass is the fault of the camera. The brass came out smooth and brilliant. I used a progression of grits, to 800, while the rod was still on the lathe. Then I use Brasso until it was like a mirror. I have a Sorby mini lathe tool set. I used a tiny gouge, a mini skew, and, most successfully a mini scraper, with a hook. The groove, in the Ebony, was made with a round Viper router bit.

Cab,

Now, you know I know how to polish brass. The spike looked like my belt buckle at an inspection to earn a three day pass.

Check this out, there are no new ideas.

http://www.thecigartee.com/

I gave the tee to my friend tonight. He couldn't believe he only asked for it last night.

Steve
        I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
          The Full Monte
          • May 2007
          • Sunshine State
          • BT3000

Cigar tees been around a long time... Seen some doozies... They can also be used to keep the grip of your putter out of the morning dew while you're using your wedge...

Comment

• Pappy
            The Full Monte
            • Dec 2002
            • San Marcos, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 (x2)

Cool little project!
            Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
            Fools because they have to say something.
            Plato

Comment

• mater
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2004
              • SC, USA.

That is neat and also a nice little gift.
              Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• L. D. Jeffries
                • Dec 2005
                • Russell, NY, USA.
                • Ryobi BT3000

Now that post gave me a laugh! When I first started to read it I asked myself; "Now what in h--l is a "cigar tee"? Scrolled down to the first picture; still didn't have a clue. Second picture -- Ah Ha! Of course not being a golfer, I have lived in a sheltered world I guess!
                RuffSawn
                Nothin' smells better than fresh sawdust!

Comment

Working...