• Show
Clear All
  • Anna
    • Feb 2006
    • CA, USA.
    • BT3100

Message from the Commandant

Found on the net:

In a message to all Marines worldwide, the Commandant recently informed his troops that Marines were to cease and desist from using the age old term "Squid" to refer to members of the US Navy.

"Use of this word to refer to a member of the Navy is totally inappropriate," the Commandant said.

"According to Webster's Dictionary," the Commandant's message continues, "Squid is defined as 'a higher form of marine life.' Obviously, we must hide the truth when referring to Sailors."

They finally figured it out.

Observe Memorial Day. The squids, jarheads, grunts, airheads and puddle pilots deserve it.
    Happy Memorial Day.
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Originally posted by Anna
    Found on the net:
    Quote:
    In a message to all Marines worldwide, the Commandant recently informed his troops that Marines were to cease and desist from using the age old term "Squid" to refer to members of the US Navy.

"Use of this word to refer to a member of the Navy is totally inappropriate," the Commandant said.

"According to Webster's Dictionary," the Commandant's message continues, "Squid is defined as 'a higher form of marine life.' Obviously, we must hide the truth when referring to Sailors."

They finally figured it out.

Observe Memorial Day. The squids, jarheads, grunts, airheads and puddle pilots deserve it.

Happy Memorial Day.

With all due respect:

Some statements I find on the "net" aren't worthwhile repeating.

As for Memorial Day being "Happy"...IMO, NOT AT ALL.

Comment

• Anna
      • Feb 2006
      • CA, USA.
      • BT3100

Originally posted by cabinetman
      With all due respect:

Some statements I find on the "net" aren't worthwhile repeating.

As for Memorial Day being "Happy"...IMO, NOT AT ALL.
      CM,

With all due respect, I just thought I'd share something I found funny because I'm married to a veteran Squid.

As for wishing a Happy Memorial Day, you're right. It should be not at all. So have a sour, dour, gloomy, doomy, grumpy, cranky, all-around awful Memorial Day.

Comment

• Anna
        • Feb 2006
        • CA, USA.
        • BT3100

I thought I'd clarify. This thread wasn't meant to denigrate the Navy or anyone in the Armed Forces. There's a lot of ribbing going on between the different fighting groups. My husband, who was stationed at Quantico, had a lot to say about the Marines there, and lots of jokes go around. I thought the original post was funny because I've heard a lot of these things.

In any case, I'll keep posts like this outside of this group from now on. Sorry about that.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
          The Full Monte
          • May 2007
          • Sunshine State
          • BT3000

I don't think the content was at fault, Anna, just the timing. Emotions run the gamut as individuals pause on this day in remembrance. For most, it is a solemn day. For others, it is even more serious than that.

Comment

• StickSeler
            Forum Newbie
            • Jan 2003
            • Alexandria, Virginia, USA.

Originally posted by Anna
            I thought I'd clarify. This thread wasn't meant to denigrate the Navy or anyone in the Armed Forces. There's a lot of ribbing going on between the different fighting groups. My husband, who was stationed at Quantico, had a lot to say about the Marines there, and lots of jokes go around. I thought the original post was funny because I've heard a lot of these things.

In any case, I'll keep posts like this outside of this group from now on. Sorry about that.
            As a Jarhead......I like it
            Of course Lumber is expensive,what do you think, it grows on trees

http://www.rjkniatt.com

Comment

• Popeye
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2003
              • Woodbine, Ga
              • Grizzly 1023SL

In any case, I'll keep posts like this outside of this group from now on. Sorry about that.[/quote]
              Why?? Happy Memorial Day maybe, but otherwise I see no problem with the post. I can take it. Pat
              Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>

Comment

• Hellrazor
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2003
                • Abyss, PA
                • Ridgid R4512

Anna,

Don't worry about it, like usual someone who lives in a glass house is the one throwing the stones...

Comment

• RAFlorida
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 2008
                  • Green Swamp in Central Florida. Gator property!
                  • Ryobi BT3000

Anna, do not fret the net.

All is ok. Sorry that your post was taken so badly. Many of us feel you did nothing wrong...

Comment

• dkerfoot
                    Veteran Member
                    • Mar 2004
                    • Holland, Michigan
                    • Craftsman 21829

FWIW: I spent 9 years in the Navy. I'll answer to Squid, but personally prefer Bubblehead.
                    Doug Kerfoot
                    "Sacrificial fence? Aren't they all?"

Smaller, Smarter Hardware Keyloggers
                    "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
                    KeyLlama.com

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
                      Veteran Member
                      • May 2003
                      • Nanuet, NY, USA.
                      • BT3100

Anna,

I spent over 4 years in SE Asia as a "Contract" employee, therefor, there's no name thats repeatable in public that can be used to describe me (ie. derogatory term).

I have no problems with calling members of uniformed branchs of the service anything at all. They've all earned it.

What seems to be the sore spot of your post is the use of "happy" describing Memorial Day. I'm sure there was no malice behind the term, but to a large bunch of us "vets", remembering the time we spent wherever we were, brings back lots of unpleasant emotions. Feelings that for the most part, most of us don't want to relive.

If you read my post and Cabinetman's in the "Memorial Day" thread, I think you'll get a better sense of how we feel about today, and the ghosts we're still trying to exorcise, at least for me, that is. So it's a really unusually sore spot and raw nerve you've hit with that part of your post.

I'm replying to this as I don't want you to turn yourself off from posting "non-woodworking" thoughts, as I feel that this forum is like an extended family to me and and none of us should be reluctant to express a feeling that's within the somewhat "narrow" guidelines that have been set up to keep some of us from going off on a tangent and creating way too much friction between each other.

I don't agree with all the rules, but I respect them and forum is proof that they really do work.

Bruce
                      "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
                      Samuel Colt did"

Comment

Working...