• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Memorial Day

I have mixed feelings about Memorial Day. It's a day that the Indy 500 is run, and a day to observe those that lost their lives serving in the military.

As for the race, I'm not usually a circle type (left turn only) race fan, but I do enjoy the Indy 500. The telecast is live today @ 1:00PM, EST, on ABC.

I lost many friends while in the military and their giving of their lives was a tragedy. I will never forget them or any soldier. Memorial Day, once called "Decoration Day", has a few traditions such as national moment of remembrance @ 3:00 PM, EST today, and flying the U.S. flag at half staff from dawn until noon, and placing flags at the grave sites of those brave soldiers.

I've made it a point to visit Arlington National Cemetery, a very solemn cemetery, on Memorial Day when I could. I've always thought of myself as being a tough skinned individual, but standing there, on the ground above them, I cry like a baby. So, on this day, and for 364 more, I salute you my friends and your loved ones.

• Bruce Cohen
    Veteran Member
    • May 2003
    • Nanuet, NY, USA.
    • BT3100

To me,

It's a time to feel guilty. I made it, but I left a lot of guys in SE Asia and feel that "Why was I chosen to make it back to the "World".

I spend the day remembering them and all the others who didn't come home, just as I sometimes do during the nights when the ghosts visit and I wake up bathed in sweat, even after all these years.

I feel guilty for not having the guts to visit the wall or Arlington, I still can't cope with that.

Also, I totally refuse to go into a store that's having a "Sale", I feel that using this day in that way is similar to being spit on, once again.

Rest well my brothers, their are times I envy all of you. And, I'll never forget the guys I personally couldn't bring home with me.

Bruce
    "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
    Samuel Colt did"

Comment

Working...