• Show
Clear All
  • Richard in Smithville
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • On the TARDIS
    • BT 3100

Canadian Holiday Weekend( with pics)

Up here in the Great White North, we are celebrating our holiday long weekend called Victoria Day( or also known as the may 2-4). I live around half hour from Niagara Falls so we decided to head down on Friday to see the fireworks. They put on a gret show at 10:00 every Friday and Sunday nights. I snapped off some pictures before it got too dark.

Skylon Tower

American Falls from the Canadian side

Rainbow Bridge to Canada( or the U.S. if you're going the other way)

Edit: Here is the link for Niagara Falls Fireworks
    Last edited by Richard in Smithville; 05-19-2008, 11:55 AM.
    From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/
  • fbrend123
    Established Member
    • Aug 2006
    • Michigan
    • Ryobi BT3000

Nice pics, Richard. We get to Niagara Falls, occasionally. When we do, we usually stay at the KOA on Lundy's Lane. We head straight west to go home, so I suspect that we've been through Smithville a couple of times. The last time (2003), we turned north off of 20, and on to, I believe, Victoria. I remember that it was a beautiful, clear morning, and as we came over the hill just south of the QEW, and Lake Ontario came into view, you could see the skyline of Toronto on the other side. It was a sight that I'll never forget.

Last time we were in Canada was a weekend in Stratford, last summer. Caught a musical with Cynthia Dale (be still, my heart). I was a big Street Legal fan when we lived in town and got CBC out of Windsor on cable.

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
      Veteran Member
      • Oct 2006
      • On the TARDIS
      • BT 3100

Originally posted by fbrend123
      The last time (2003), we turned north off of 20, and on to, I believe, Victoria. I remember that it was a beautiful, clear morning, and as we came over the hill just south of the QEW, and Lake Ontario came into view, you could see the skyline of Toronto on the other side. It was a sight that I'll never forget.

I see that sight every time I head down the hill. I still love it every time. I'll see if I can't get a picture or two for you.

Richard in Smithville

Comment

• fbrend123
        Established Member
        • Aug 2006
        • Michigan
        • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by Richard in Smithville
        I see that sight every time I head down the hill. I still love it every time. I'll see if I can't get a picture or two for you.
        That would be great, Richard, thanks. We weren't quick enough with the camera, because the sight was completely unexpected. BTW, I'm assuming that the hill is actually part of the escarpment, isn't it?

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
          Veteran Member
          • Oct 2006
          • On the TARDIS
          • BT 3100

Yes, it is the Niagara Escarpment unless you live in Hamilton and it's called a mountain. A great place to enjoy the view over the escarpment is from Beamer Memorial Conservation Area that sits over the top of Grimsby. We go for a hike there every October.

Richard in Smithville

Comment

• footprintsinconc
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2006
            • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
            • BT3100

nice pics. i bet you had fun.

it reminds me of the good old days when we use to visit niagara falls and the amusement park (name is skipping my mind) and marine world.

Comment

• fbrend123
              Established Member
              • Aug 2006
              • Michigan
              • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by Richard in Smithville
              Yes, it is the Niagara Escarpment unless you live in Hamilton and it's called a mountain. A great place to enjoy the view over the escarpment is from Beamer Memorial Conservation Area that sits over the top of Grimsby. We go for a hike there every October.
              Thanks for the link, Richard. We've been by it a number of times on the QEW, but never stopped. We'll have to check it out, next time we're in the area. We have been to various parts of the escarpment from Niagara-on-the-Lake, the Bruce Peninsula, Manitoulin Island, the U. P. of Michigan, through Fayette, and down to the base of the Door Peninsula in Wisconsin, all at different times. One of my ambitions has always been to travel it from one end to the other, in a single trip, hitting all the parks, and points of interest. Unfortunately, it would take more time than we have.

Comment

• Lee4847
                Established Member
                • Feb 2006
                • Canton, Oh
                • BT3100

We were up there last year riding the bike trail along the Welland Canal and went over to the falls in the evening. We watched the fireworks from the dining room at the Skylon tower. It was an interesting view looking DOWN at them! Very beautiful area for riding trails.
                Cut twice.... measure??

Comment

• Turaj
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
                  • BT3000 (1998)

Beautiful pictures Richard! Thanks for posting them. Too bad this weekend was so cold (for May 2-4). Have not been to the falls for couple years now. A little road trip might be in order!
                  Turaj (in Toronto)
                  "When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading!" Henny Youngman

Comment

Working...