Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Anyone do Bike to Work Day?

I've done it for the past 8 years now. I've never had a long commute (<7
    miles) so it's not a big deal for me to ride my bike to work. My current
    workplace outside DC and my old one in San Diego both have showers so it's
    an extra bonus. Honestly, though, I do it for the free T-shirt and freebies.

Odd enough, though, we usually get bad weather on this day. It's raining
    today and last year it was cold and overcast. Even in San Diego, it was cold
    and overcast on those days. Something about this day brings bad weather
    or maybe it's me!

Paul
  • radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

I was not even aware of this - I could have done it today. My commute is only 4 miles.

I would have had to plan for it of course - I could not have carried a laptop with me!

Wish I had known.

Who gives you the t-shirt?
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle

Comment

• crokett
      The Full Monte
      • Jan 2003
      • Mebane, NC, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000

Radhak,

Get a backpack-style laptop bag and you could bring it with you. I love mine, much more convenient when I am traveling than my shoulder bag was.
      David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• radhak
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2006
        • Miramar, FL
        • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Hmm - that's a thought. Might help even during regular travel, as in airtravel...?

Have always been talking about taking my bike to work, so need to get on it now.
        It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
        - Aristotle

Comment

• atgcpaul
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2003
          • Maryland
          • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by radhak
          I was not even aware of this - I could have done it today. My commute is only 4 miles.

I would have had to plan for it of course - I could not have carried a laptop with me!

Wish I had known.

Who gives you the t-shirt?
          You might have to do some digging but usually they are organized by a local
          bike advocacy group. There isn't a lot of advertising for it. Here's a link for
          Florida:

http://www.bikeleague.org/programs/b.../events.php#FL

T-shirts were hard to come by in San Diego because there were so many
          people biking. You usually got one for pre-registering or had to actually be
          drawn in a raffle. In DC area they give them away like candy.

Comment

• Stytooner
            Roll Tide RIP Lee
            • Dec 2002
            • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
            • BT3100

I only have to go about 40 feet to get to work. I could use it to go check the mail in the mailbox. Downhill all the way for about 150 feet. The ride back would make this trip a little less desirable though.
            Lee

Comment

• jspelbring
              Established Member
              • Nov 2004
              • Belleville, IL, USA.
              • Craftsman 22114

Ridin'

Yep. My commute is about 8 miles. I try to ride in a couple of times per week. My current people-powered steed is a recumbent trike (Catrike Trail for any 'bent riders out there).
              To do is to be.

Comment

• JR
                The Full Monte
                • Feb 2004
                • Eugene, OR
                • BT3000

Paul, the facilities manager (as I refer to LOML from 8 to 5!), does not allow bikes in the upstairs hallway. No commuting today.

I'll see if I can get off my dead behind and get an hour in the saddle, though. Thanks for the reminder.

JR
                JR

Comment

• gsmittle
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2004
                  • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                  • BT 3100

Not this year. Had some...er...intestinal issues last night and didn't want to spend 10 miles on a itty-bitty road bike saddle. (I know, too much information!)

Plus I'm going to be at school until 6 am tomorrow and REALLY don't want to ride after staying awake 26+ hrs.

g.
                  Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
                  Bill & Ted

Comment

• rnelson0
                    Established Member
                    • Feb 2008
                    • Midlothian, VA (Richmond)
                    • Firestorm FS2500TS

I decided to pass. It would have pissed my wife off if I rode my bike from the bedroom to bedroom #3.

I do my part to contribute to the environment by working at home. If I rode or drove to the office, a 150 mile ride would create some severe consequences - either for the environment or whoever got in my way

Comment

• atgcpaul
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2003
                      • Maryland
                      • Grizzly 1023SLX

My Bike to Work Day ended up becoming a no Bike Home Day. Somehow during
                      the day, my rear tire's valve stem separated from the tire and I could not
                      pump up the tire or patch it. And on top of that I didn't have a spare in my
                      seat bag! That is a first for me! Serves me right for switching bikes at the
                      last minute.

Anyway, after a comical trip home on two different buses and nearly a mile
                      of walking from this stop to that, I'm home. I feel pretty dumb about it all
                      but I'm glad I found a bus route from work to home (although not perfect)
                      and my free T-shirt is still a bonus.

Paul

Comment

• Slik Geek
                        • Dec 2006
                        • Lake County, Illinois
                        • Ryobi BT-3000

Didn't even know about that event, too bad it isn't better publicized.

I did ride my bicycle to work today... sort of.

During spring, summer and fall I frequently ride my bike three miles to the commuter train station, take the train for 14 minutes, and then walk 1-1/2 miles to work.

I've considered attempting to skip the train and riding the entire 15 mile ride to work on my bicycle, but I fear that it would be a fatal ride - the roads are not very safe for bicycle riding, no allowance for bicycles and very few shoulders. One distracted driver in the heavy traffic and I would be gone.

In the fall and spring, since I ride in darkness in the morning, I wear a reflective vest (like garbagemen wear), plus have a bright headlight on the front and a flashing red light on the back of my bicycle. One morning a gal coming towards me turned right in front of me - so close that if I hadn't put the brakes on hard, I would have hit the side of her car. (That's when she finally saw me, as I nearly smacked her car door.

The ironic thing is that I could see her face very clearly before she turned because my headlight was illuminating it! That convinced me that I always had to ride my bike in paranoid mode. Between my headlight on her face, and my vest glowing in her headlights, there was no excuse for her not seeing me.

Comment

• andrew.r.w
                          Established Member
                          • Sep 2003
                          • Canada.

Originally posted by jspelbring
                          Yep. My commute is about 8 miles. I try to ride in a couple of times per week. My current people-powered steed is a recumbent trike (Catrike Trail for any 'bent riders out there).
                          I just ordered a 'bent - SWB understeer. I looked at the Catrike line but ended up liking the 2-wheelers at www.actionbent.com
                          Andrew

Comment

Working...