• Show
Clear All
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Am I Being Paranoid?

A guy I know at work uses an online backup service. He pays 40 bucks a year or thereabouts for an automatic backup service that supposedly encrypts his files before shipping them off his PC. I told him I'd never sign up for one because I don't know what happens to my data after it gets off my PC. I am not egotistical enough to think anybody is that interested in me, I just don't want to lose full control over what happens to my data.

He called me paranoid. Am I?
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • TheRic
    • Jun 2004
    • West Central Ohio
    • bt3100

Just because everyone is out to get you, doesn't mean you're paranoid.
    Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• LinuxRandal
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2005
      • Independence, MO, USA.
      • bt3100

Originally posted by crokett
      A guy I know at work uses an online backup service. He pays 40 bucks a year or thereabouts for an automatic backup service that supposedly encrypts his files before shipping them off his PC. I told him I'd never sign up for one because I don't know what happens to my data after it gets off my PC. I am not egotistical enough to think anybody is that interested in me, I just don't want to lose full control over what happens to my data.

He called me paranoid. Am I?
      Hey, I just finished using my systems to break the encryption and now your bank account is funding my tool shopping spree. Thanks

Quantum computing is being played with, and inexpensive, super computer like clusters, can be made out of Playstation 3's and its cell processor. In my view, it doesn't leave the HOME network (BIG PERIOD here)

Wireless and wired, can be intercepted by those determined enough.
      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Alex Franke
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2007
        • Chapel Hill, NC
        • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by crokett
        ...I am not egotistical enough to think anybody is that interested in me, I just don't want to lose full control over what happens to my data. . . .He called me paranoid. Am I?
        Maybe a little. But that's healthy -- that's my excuse anyway. The chances of actually getting data stolen and used in a way you don't want it to be used are probably less than the chances of getting burglarized, or robbed... well that's my experience anyway.

Originally posted by TheRic
        Just because everyone is out to get you, doesn't mean you're paranoid.
        ...even paranoid people can have people following them.
        online at http://www.theFrankes.com
        while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
        "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• cgallery
          Veteran Member
          • Sep 2004
          • Milwaukee, WI
          • BT3K

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
          Quantum computing is being played with, and inexpensive, super computer like clusters, can be made out of Playstation 3's and its cell processor.
          I am bothered that most methods of encryption use super-primes, and that the U.S. government endorses 128-bit encryption.

It is thought that 128-bit encryption will be intractable via brute-force attacks for decades to come.

But, I think there is a very real possibility that 128-bit encryption can be methodically, mathematically solved. That, it doesn't require huge networks of supercomputers. And I imagine that the key may be that so many of these encryption schemes use these huge prime numbers.

A few years ago during a Pentagon "war game," a retired general (I think he was a three or four-star general) agreed to come back and run the losing team (yes, the winner was predetermined).

Instead of relying on encrypted wireless communications, he hand-wrote communications to his field officers. These notes were delivered by motorcycle couriers.

The general's team that was supposed to lose went on to win. And he attributed his win to his method of communications.

If this general refused to use recognized forms of encryption for field communications, then it tells me volumes about what he knows that I don't. Namely, I think he was telling us that he at least as a strong suspicion, if not specific knowledge, that the government can break even 128-bit encryption.

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

Originally posted by Alex Franke
            ...even paranoid people can have people following them.

How about the people following the people that are following paranoid people?

Comment

• leehljp
              Just me
              • Dec 2002
              • Tunica, MS
              • BT3000/3100

Come on David, learn to enjoy your paranoia. Play a game of hide-n-seek with the shadows. That will make it a lot more fun!
              Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• jspelbring
                Established Member
                • Nov 2004
                • Belleville, IL, USA.
                • Craftsman 22114

Paranoid

The question is not whether you're paranoid. The question is if you're paranoid enough!

(Former US Navy Cryptologist - Any code can be broken, given enough time and computing power)
                To do is to be.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2005
                  • Independence, MO, USA.
                  • bt3100

Originally posted by cgallery
                  I am bothered that most methods of encryption use super-primes, and that the U.S. government endorses 128-bit encryption.

It is thought that 128-bit encryption will be intractable via brute-force attacks for decades to come.

But, I think there is a very real possibility that 128-bit encryption can be methodically, mathematically solved. That, it doesn't require huge networks of supercomputers.

While we won't publically have access to what formula's are used by the government (they may use new MIT or Princeton theroms in their design, etc), the cluster I am refering to, was built out of 5 playstation 3's.
                  She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• pelligrini
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2007
                    • Fort Worth, TX
                    • Craftsman 21829

The Cell processors can crunch a lot of data. Sony and Stanford's Pande group developed a client for their protien folding research that will run on a PS3. I was really impressed by the amout of data they could do.
                    Erik

Comment

• jussi
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2007

I've heard good things about this place. No personal experience however. The bad thing about having all your data stored at home is that there's a ever a fire, flood, etc you lose that data. I suppose you could download the data to a HD and move to another location but that's kind of tedious.

http://carbonite.com/
                      I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• smorris
                        • Apr 2003
                        • Tampa, Florida, USA.

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
                        While we won't publically have access to what formula's are used by the government (they may use new MIT or Princeton theroms in their design, etc), the cluster I am refering to, was built out of 5 playstation 3's.
                        The govt uses AES as their standard encryption and that code was released by NIST for public review some time ago as it had to pass peer review. Any encryption that can't withstand scrutiny is considered snake-oil. A quick google for AES source will return thousands of sites where it is available.
                        --
                        Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice

Comment

• jlm
                          Established Member
                          • Oct 2005
                          • Austin, TX

I don't think you're being paranoid - once digital data leaves your control, anything can happen, and computing power is cheap. Bad encryption can be broken, and I'm sure your co-worker hasn't audited their system to know it's solidly protected - he can only take their word for it. Good thing dot-com corporations never cut corners...

But aside from the security concerns, I don't use such services because almost every one I've seen offers a complicated user contract that, once translated into English, provides no actual guarantee that they'll have your data when and if you need it. Usually it's a "best effort" type of thing, but the contract provides you no actual legal or financial recourse if they lose your data, or if they get cracked and someone takes your private data. A well-run company will have redundant backups and solid security, so that this isn't actually a real big concern, but if my data is really as safe as they say, why not offer a guarantee?

Comment

• dkerfoot
                            Veteran Member
                            • Mar 2004
                            • Holland, Michigan
                            • Craftsman 21829

Two Guys Go Camping...

Any question of security comes down to a story about two guys who were camping when a bear came into their campground and started rummaging through their supplies.

One of the guys started to slowly take off his hiking boots and put on his running shoes. His buddy said "That won't do you any good! If he decides to chase us, we have no chance! Do you know how fast a bear can run?"

The first guy finished tying his shoes and said "I don't need to outrun the bear. I just need to outrun you!"

You simply need to ensure that you have better security in place than the majority of people who have data that is as attractive as your own. The pentagon or a bank need to have very strong security measures because their data is very attractive. My wireless network just uses basic WEP encryption. Could it be broken? Sure, it could, but I have 1/2 dozen neighbors with unsecured networks - my running shoes are good enough.
                            Doug Kerfoot
                            "Sacrificial fence? Aren't they all?"

Smaller, Smarter Hardware Keyloggers
                            "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
                            KeyLlama.com

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                              Veteran Member
                              • Feb 2005
                              • Independence, MO, USA.
                              • bt3100

Originally posted by smorris
                              The govt uses AES as their standard encryption and that code was released by NIST for public review some time ago as it had to pass peer review. Any encryption that can't withstand scrutiny is considered snake-oil. A quick google for AES source will return thousands of sites where it is available.

Sorry, incomplete train of thought. I wasn't refering to the encryption, I was refering to the code breaking algorithums, things like the NSA would use.

On the paranoid side, I just came back from dealing with the post office, someone filled out a change of address form and had it sent to my address. Had to have it canceled and put them on a fraud alert notice.

Comment

Working...