• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dkerfoot
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2004
    • Holland, Michigan
    • Craftsman 21829

The warranty is meaningless to me. Either your data is safe or it isn't. The cost of the drive is trivial in comparison.
    Doug Kerfoot
    "Sacrificial fence? Aren't they all?"

Smaller, Smarter Hardware Keyloggers
    "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
    KeyLlama.com

Comment

• DaveS
      • May 2003
      • Minneapolis,MN

Originally posted by dkerfoot
      The warranty is meaningless to me. Either your data is safe or it isn't. The cost of the drive is trivial in comparison.
      True, but business is business.

A company does not offer a 5 year warranty with the expectation that many returns will occur during that period.

I can tell you with all certainty, that there are two kinds of drives:
      (1) drives that have failed
      (2) drives that will fail

It's just a matter of "when", not "if".
      Last edited by DaveS; 04-30-2008, 07:18 AM.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2005
        • Independence, MO, USA.
        • bt3100

Originally posted by Kristofor
        Nah, they're way cheaper than that now... $350 or less for several models including the LG combo HD-DVD (read) /Blu-Ray (read/burn) drive.

That said, single layer media isn't that hard to find, but it is still more expensive per GB than regular or DL DVD discs.

Kristofor.

I will have to look online. Our local, national chain, STILL had it at over $1000 last Saturday (found some Linux compatible Wireless cards, so I can move some stuff around.
        She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• gsmittle
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2004
          • St. Louis, MO, USA.
          • BT 3100

Personally, I'm real partial to LaCie drives. I have several and have found them quite reliable.

g.
          Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
          Bill & Ted

Comment

• ironhat
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2004
            • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
            • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Originally posted by DaveS
            Just a note on this - there are numerous studies that show that the longevity of recordable media such as this is not well suited for long term archiving.

One study showed degradation in as little as 12 months, especially in the "budget" media.

Even the special "archive" disks showed problems in a relatively short amount of time.

[I work in the storage industry, so, for once, I actually am an expert - weird.]

Boy, there's no joy with that 'expert opinion', Dave. Along a similar vein, our VHS tapes are prone to the same degradation too. When we bought all of those Disney tapes years ago we were told that and those same tapes are now entertaining our grandchildren. I guess I have more to worry about in terms of the hardware on which to play them, now. Technology sure can throw us some curves!
            Blessings,
            Chiz

Comment

• DaveS
              • May 2003
              • Minneapolis,MN

Originally posted by gsmittle
              Personally, I'm real partial to LaCie drives. I have several and have found them quite reliable.
              LaCie doesn't manufacture actual hard drives - they are an integrator, and they use multiple drive vendors for their products.

Just like a box of chocolates, you never know what 'yer gonna get.

Comment

Working...