• Show
Clear All
  • Black wallnut
    cycling to health
    • Jan 2003
    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
    • BT3k 1999

Norm, phillips screws; Rant

Just caught the later 2/3 of his show today. He was making shop aids: roller stand, machine base and lumber cart. He used glues and screws as usual. Why is it every time he drives a phillips screw he allows the bit to slip? I'd think that with all the practice he has had over the years he would have learned the simple technique to stop this; steady pressure and slowing the drill down right before final tightening.

rant off!
    Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©
  • Tamarack
    Established Member
    • Oct 2003
    • Speedwell, TN USA
    • BT3100

He surely must go through a lot of screw bits. I wonder why he hasn't gone to square drive screws yet, no donative support from the right suppliers? Maybe we should all email Mcfeeley's to urge them to donate!

Paul in Speedwell

Comment

• eccentrictinkerer
      • Aug 2007
      • Minneapolis, MN
      • BT-3000, 21829

My understanding is that the "bit slip" was factored into the design of the Phillips system. The idea was to keep from over-tightening and to speed production.

Unless it will show, I don't mind some bit slip. Bits are cheap and easy to replace.

My guess is that Norm is more concerned about getting it done than appearance (in those instances).
      Last edited by eccentrictinkerer; 04-20-2008, 12:15 PM. Reason: spelling
      You might think I haven't contributed much to the world, but a large number
      of the warning labels on tools can be traced back to things I've done...

Comment

• Crash2510
        • Feb 2006
        • North Central Ohio

why doesn't he just invest in an impact driver?
        Phil In Ohio
        The basement woodworker

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
          The Full Monte
          • May 2007
          • Sunshine State
          • BT3000

I'm surprised he doesn't have some kind of electronic torque control, with a remote digital readout mounted in his safety glasses...

Comment

• bigstick509
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2004
            • Macomb, MI, USA.
            • BT3100

Originally posted by Tamarack
            He surely must go through a lot of screw bits. I wonder why he hasn't gone to square drive screws yet, no donative support from the right suppliers? Maybe we should all email Mcfeeley's to urge them to donate!

Paul in Speedwell

Mike

"It's not the things you don't know that will hurt you, it's the things you think you know that ain't so." - Mark Twain

Comment

Working...