• Show
Clear All
  • Ed62
    The Full Monte
    • Oct 2006
    • NW Indiana
    • BT3K

Is it a groin strain?

One day last week I installed a new kitchen faucet. It's a difficult place to work, but I got it done. The next day I did some lawn work, cleaning up the branches left from high winds, and the leaves we left for winter cover on LOML's flower garden.

Next day when I got out of bed, I was a little sore. Didn't know if it was from installing the faucet, or the yard work. Later in the day I noticed pain in my groin when I would turn my body just the right way. It still bothers me some, usually when I turn my body just right. I don't recall any specific time when I might have hurt it. My wife thinks I might have a hernia. I think if it was a hernia, it would bother me more often than it does, and I'd probably know when it happened. I suspect it's just a strain, and I'm not lifting any heavy weight, just to be safe. Any thoughts on this? Have you had a groin strain or a hernia?

Ed
    Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/
  • JoeyGee
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2005
    • Sylvania, OH, USA.
    • BT3100-1

I have had a hernia, and it was not constant pain. It only "acted up" when I was walking a lot, running, or REALLY had to pee.

According to the doctor, I was likely born with a weakness in the abdominal cavity, or a lining somewhere, since I really couldn't trace it to a specific incident.

I had surgery, and have not had a problem since, and it's been 12+ years.
    Joe

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

Sorry to hear you've got a problem...hope it isn't serious. Remember the story about the guy who went to the doctor and complained that he had a pain in his shoulder when he moved his arm a certain way? Doctor told him "Well don't move it that way".

Comment

• LinuxRandal
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2005
        • Independence, MO, USA.
        • bt3100

I got a hernia when I was 16, from trying to move some kegs (2 high) around on a slick floor, to clean.
        Do you notice a bulge?
        Mine only hurt twice in the 10 years I had it (I HATE seeing Dr.'s and I have a LOT of medical connections, including family) (going in for surgery is another story in unto itself).

One of the doc's I am sure will chime in with the other way to check (PM one of them)

It is for all practical purposes, where a weak connection of muscle tissue has torn away.
        She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• eccentrictinkerer
          • Aug 2007
          • Minneapolis, MN
          • BT-3000, 21829

I had inguinal hernia surgery a couple of years ago. It's caused by a weakness in the abdominal wall that the intestines can push through. (The inguinal canal is the opening that the testical falls through when you were a little kid). TMI!

The surgery is a piece of cake, but it would be better if it really is a muscle strain. See a doc just to be sure.
          You might think I haven't contributed much to the world, but a large number
          of the warning labels on tools can be traced back to things I've done...

Comment

• LinuxRandal
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2005
            • Independence, MO, USA.
            • bt3100

Originally posted by eccentrictinkerer

The surgery is a piece of cake, but it would be better if it really is a muscle strain. See a doc just to be sure.

Let me guess, Laproscopic, instead of the full blown open you up proceedure?
            She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• jonmulzer
              • Dec 2007
              • Indianapolis, IN

When I clicked on this I was expecting some sort of joke. This is not funny at all though. I hope you feel better soon Ed.
              "A fine beer may be judged with just one sip, but it is better to be thoroughly sure"

Comment

• eccentrictinkerer
                • Aug 2007
                • Minneapolis, MN
                • BT-3000, 21829

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
                Let me guess, Laproscopic, instead of the full blown open you up proceedure?

Yup, three tiny incisions, in and out of day surgery in 4 1/2 hours.

I took it easy for a couple of days and then back to work. No heavy lifting for a couple of weeks. Hurt less than my vasectomy!

My Dad had an IH from the time he was about 18. He never had it repaired. Fought 3 1/2 years in WWII and was plumber for 37 years.

Those old f@rts were tough!
                You might think I haven't contributed much to the world, but a large number
                of the warning labels on tools can be traced back to things I've done...

Comment

• MilDoc

Really not enough info to answer. Could be a hernia, a "groin strain," or other. See your doc if it is persistent, worsens, etc.

Comment

Working...