If you've never hashed, you won't know what the following terms mean:

"On-on"

"Down-down"

"Harrier"

"The Circle"

"The Throne"

"Front-running b*****d"

"Tail-end Charlie"

My one-and-only hash experience was with the Hutia Hash House Harriers--if you can guess where that was you get extra points. It was short-lived but was a life-changing experience.

If you have hashed, where did you hash and what was your hash name?
    Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Isn't that RUI (Running Under the Influence)?

Comment

• Ed62
      The Full Monte
      • Oct 2006
      • NW Indiana
      • BT3K

With the exception of my first year or so, I've been using "The Throne" all my life.

Ed
      Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• germdoc
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2003
        • Omaha, NE
        • BT3000--the gray ghost

Originally posted by cabinetman
        Isn't that RUI (Running Under the Influence)?
        Well, it's often said that hashers are drinkers with a running problem, but all the down-down action occurs after the hash, in my experience.

In my particular hash club cigarettes were strongly encouraged after the race as well.
        Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

Comment

• RayintheUK
          Veteran Member
          • Sep 2003
          • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
          • Ryobi BT3000

I never have. I wasn't in the Commando Forces H3 in 1969, or since.

Ray.
          Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• bfrikken
            • Apr 2005
            • Michigan, USA.
            • BT-3100

I'm totally lost ... and surprised some know what is even being takled about.

Comment

• Sid
              Established Member
              • Apr 2004
              • Bloomington, IL, USA.
              • Craftsman 22124

New to me too, but Google and Wikipedia to the rescue:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hash_House_Harriers

A little more searching found a reference to the Hutia H3 being at Gitmo.

Sid

Comment

• germdoc
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2003
                • Omaha, NE
                • BT3000--the gray ghost

That's pretty good Sid.

I was there at Gitmo for 4 months in 1994-95 (before it got turned into Devil's Island 2) and hashed with the jarheads and squids down there. The marines were pretty hardcore; when they were setting the route you could count on 8 miles of grueling terrain.

The "throne" was a giant block of ice on which you sat when you were being saluted. If you were too quiet or too mouthy you had to sit on there longer while you were serenaded with such classics as "Yogi" or "I used to work in Chicago". (See http://harrier.net/songs/)

I was the FRB one time, which was quite a thrill. I was also the TEC once, which meant for the next race I had to run with a toilet plunger.

There was a lot of crazy stuff that went on that's too weird to relate, let's just say I'm glad they didn't have videophones back then...

BTW, my hash nickname was *****less in Gitmo, which referred to the fact that no one there was going to have sex for the duration of their deployment (no dependents allowed).
                Jeff

Comment

• pierhogunn
                  Veteran Member
                  • Sep 2003
                  • Harrisburg, NC, USA.

my hash nickname is "Just Dan" I made sure that the time I spent with $hithappens, Photospread, and Hilfrigger that the missus and me kept quite, and observerd. We have since renamed that portion of south-carolina as Sodom and Gemhorra based on our observations...

Those people are nuts, and some of them are self described

runners with a drinking problem, or drinkers with a running problem

Some of my best friends hash in Durham, and one is the perennial hare

Ass-bong??? when does that get fun?
                  It's Like I've always said, it's amazing what an agnostic can't do if he dosent know whether he believes in anything or not

Monty Python's Flying Circus

Dan in Harrisburg, NC

Comment

Working...