• Show
Clear All
  • radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

At the auto repair shop

I was at the auto mechanic shop yesterday, waiting for my car. There's this little old lady from earlier, waiting too. She looked really old, and reaallly frail. When informed her car's done, she gets up gingerly and slowly puts a foot forward. I felt she would have even fallen, so I quickly stepped up and gave her my hand to hold onto.

She did not take it, but looks at me and says, 'yes, do you want something?!?'.

Well, I was a bit taken aback and said, 'no, I just wanted to give you a hand'.

Her look hardened, and she says, 'And why did you want to be so kind to me?'.

Again, I did not have an answer for it ('because you are so old' would not have been appropriate!), so I winged it - 'well, you look a bit like my mother, so I...(she did not, she looked far older than my mom ..)',

but she did not let me finish. 'How old is your mother?'.

'65'.

'I am 88, so if she looks like anything like me, you should have taken better care of her!'

I'm sure my face must have been fun to watch.

I stepped back, but it got better - she gets to the counter, and in a not-so-low-voice, says 'D**khead '!!!

I tell you - the oldsters these days !
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle
  • Ed62
    The Full Monte
    • Oct 2006
    • NW Indiana
    • BT3K

Love it.

Ed
    Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• gordons
      Established Member
      • Aug 2003
      • Charlotte, NC, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3100

There's no knowing what the 80+ brigade will come up with.

Since you live in FL, here's an experience I had at the DMV.

An elderly lady in her mid-80's arrived to have her license renewed - it had expired some 3 months back. Eventually, she gets to the counter and is instructed to read line 5. She exclaims for all to hear "There is no line 5!!!!"

The examiner then suggested very politely that perhaps the Old Lady should have her eyes tested. To which the subject retorted "You're discriminating against me because of my age!!!!", and proceeded to walk out of the office.

Here's the best part..... She was there on her own, had no visible means of communication, was not near a bus stop or other means of transport except perhaps her......... yup, her car. No-one from the DMV attempted to confirm this, or stop her, or alert anyone to this potential disaster on wheels.

What can I say, Welcome to Florida where the standard eyesight rectification for the elderly is to buy a bigger car!!!
      Gordon
      I'd rather be a hammer than a nail

Comment

• Pappy
        The Full Monte
        • Dec 2002
        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 (x2)

Renewed my license last week. The woman ahead of me, in her 50's or so, couldn't read the appropriate line and got irate when they told her the glasses she had weren't the right kind (drugstore reading glasses). I thought she was going to get a close up a Texas trooper in action.
        Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
        Fools because they have to say something.
        Plato

Comment

Working...