• Show
Clear All
  • bigstick509
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Macomb, MI, USA.
    • BT3100

All Went Well

I posted a few weeks back that I was having rotator cuff surgery, well today was the day. So far so good but then again the pain meds they gave me have not worn off.It is a treat typing one handed and left handed on top of it. I was just thinking that I can do most things both ways except for writing, I guess I'm somewhat ambidextrously . How many of us are or are not to some degree switch hitters. The right and left kind, I suspect that last sentence might engender some other type of comment. LOL

Mike

"It's not the things you don't know that will hurt you, it's the things you think you know that ain't so." - Mark Twain
  • lrogers
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Mobile, AL. USA.
    • BT3000

Glad things went well for you! Don't get discouraged it it takes longer to completely recover than you expected. It was about 8-9 months before I was "happy" I had it done.

As for switch hitting, I eat and write left-handed and do most everything else right-handed. I can somewhat confortably bounce between left/right with everything EXCEPT eat & write! Go figure.
    Larry R. Rogers
    The Samurai Wood Butcher
    http://splash54.multiply.com
    http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• crokett
      The Full Monte
      • Jan 2003
      • Mebane, NC, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by lrogers
      As for switch hitting, I eat and write left-handed and do most everything else right-handed. I can somewhat confortably bounce between left/right with everything EXCEPT eat & write! Go figure.
      Glad things went well for you Mike!

Larry, that is cause you live in a right-handed world and you've had practice. If most pens and forks were right-handed only you'd probably do those just as well too.
      David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• footprintsinconc
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2006
        • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
        • BT3100

glad to hear things are well. just be patient and do the exercises that you are suppose to do at the correct time and you should be as good as new.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
          The Full Monte
          • May 2007
          • Sunshine State
          • BT3000

I'm gonna have to have right shoulder surgery sometime soon, too. Have exhausted all options save that one. I am particularly concerned because I make a living doing CADD, and I have tried mousing with my left hand a few times with ridiculous and unacceptable results. I'm gonna have some real problems.

Glad to hear all went well for you, Mike. Tell the Doc that you will cooperate, provided the Physical Therapists are cuties...

Comment

• MilDoc

Glad things went well, now follow the rehab instructions religiously!

And you type better with one hand than I do with two (unless you did a lot of editing, that is).

Comment

• Schleeper
              Established Member
              • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
              I'm gonna have to have right shoulder surgery sometime soon, too. Have exhausted all options save that one. I am particularly concerned because I make a living doing CADD, and I have tried mousing with my left hand a few times with ridiculous and unacceptable results. I'm gonna have some real problems.

Glad to hear all went well for you, Mike. Tell the Doc that you will cooperate, provided the Physical Therapists are cuties...
              You probably won't get good results mousing with your left hand until you're committed to doing it. I do just about everything right-handed except unscrewing the lids off jars and caps off bottles (?), but a bout of carpal tunnel prompted me to move the mouse to the left of the keyboard. Now it feels odd using it with my right hand. You can't just move the mouse; you have to reassign the left and right buttons so your index finger still does most of the clicking. (I believe any mouse will allow you to do that.)

I agree; finding a cute physical therapist can make all the difference in the world. Then again, I'm somewhat biased. My favorite PT and I are celebrating our 33rd anniversary this week.
              "I know it when I see it." (Justice Potter Stewart)

Comment

• annunaki
                • Jan 2008
                • White Springs, Florida
                • 21829, BT3100, 2-BT3000(15amp)

Best Wishes on your recovery

Ponder this:
                Most people are Right Handed.
                Left Handed people use their Right Side of their Brain.
                Right Handed people use their Left Side of their Brain.
                Therefore it follows....
                Most People are not in their Right Minds!!!
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fileodecahedron.gif

Comment

• cabinetman
                  Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                  • Jun 2006
                  • So. Florida
                  • Delta

Glad to hear all went OK. It'll take a while but you'll be gooder than new.

I'm right handed, but doing more with the left due to tendonitis, and effects of carpal tunnel problems.

Comment

• bigstick509
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2004
                    • Macomb, MI, USA.
                    • BT3100

Thanks All

Originally posted by MilDoc
                    Glad things went well, now follow the rehab instructions religiously!

And you type better with one hand than I do with two (unless you did a lot of editing, that is).
                    Not only did it take me a long time to post this thread, but my spelling errors were hilarious.
                    Thank God for spell check.

Mike

"It's not the things you don't know that will hurt you, it's the things you think you know that ain't so." - Mark Twain

Comment

• gsmittle
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2004
                      • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                      • BT 3100

Originally posted by bigstick509
                      I posted a few weeks back that I was having rotator cuff surgery, well today was the day. So far so good but then again the pain meds they gave me have not worn off.It is a treat typing one handed and left handed on top of it. I was just thinking that I can do most things both ways except for writing, I guess I'm somewhat ambidextrously . How many of us are or are not to some degree switch hitters. The right and left kind, I suspect that last sentence might engender some other type of comment. LOL
                      Glad to hear things went well, Mike. How long before you can pitch in the Majors?

Myself, I'm quite strongly left-handed, even though it's a right-handed world. I am a righty when I swing a bat, though. I read somewhere that lefties should bat right and vice versa because it puts the dominant eye closer to the pitcher.

Since I use a single-button mouse at home, there's no need to switch buttons. My work laptop (Winderz machine and no, I didn't get a choice) has two buttons and they're reversed.

Have a speedy recovery, be sure to do your PT, and take your pain meds.

g.
                      Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
                      Bill & Ted

Comment

• TheRic
                        • Jun 2004
                        • West Central Ohio
                        • bt3100

Glad to hear things went well!!

I'm right handed, but I find that I can do many things left handed when I need to or want to. I'll grab something with the right or left hand, which ever is closer. I can use the mouse left or right handed with OUT switching buttons. I assist other people on their computers, and I just grab the mouse with whatever hand is the easiest.

Using tools I will normally use my right hand where the strength matters more. I will switch hands at times to give the other hand a rest. My right hand is also a little better at holding things steadier, or moving very precisely, probably since it is stronger.
                        Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• Ed62
                          The Full Monte
                          • Oct 2006
                          • NW Indiana
                          • BT3K

Glad everything seems to be in order, Mike. Wishing you a quick recovery.

Ed
                          Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• iceman61
                            • Oct 2007
                            • West TN
                            • Bosch 4100-09

Originally posted by bigstick509
                            Not only did it take me a long time to post this thread, but my spelling errors were hilarious.
                            Thank God for spell check.
                            Mike must have finally popped the top on the prescription meds the Dr. wrote after surgery.

Comment

• Pappy
                              The Full Monte
                              • Dec 2002
                              • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                              • BT3000 (x2)

"Tell the Doc that you will cooperate, provided the Physical Therapists are cuties..."

Might make it more fun but better if you have one that acts like a drill seargent and gives no quarter. Do what you are told by both the Doc and the Therapist.

On the other subject, I'm a lefty in most things that was lucky enough to have a left handed teacher at the beginning. About the only things I can't switch is throwing and writing. Write left and throw right. Shoot pool better with the left on the base. In years gone by, I would shoot right until the money got good then switch to the left hand and say, "That feels better!".
                              Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                              Fools because they have to say something.
                              Plato

Comment

Working...