• Show
Clear All
  • ryanps
    Forum Newbie
    • Dec 2006
    • Maumee, Ohio
    • ShopFox W1677

truck mileage - 100,000

I'm considering a used truck -- 2000 Chevrolet 1500 Z71 with 100,000 miles.
    Dealer assures me that there are several 100,000 miles left in the vehicle.
    What do any of you think? Is it several 100,000 miles left but with lots of repair bills here and there? Anyone have experience with high mileage trucks?

When I purchased my current vehicle it had 13,000 miles on it (this was 2004).
    Currently it has 45,000 miles. As you can tell, I really don't drive very much.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
    Regards,
    Ryan
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Originally posted by ryanps
    I'm considering a used truck -- 2000 Chevrolet 1500 Z71 with 100,000 miles.
    Dealer assures me that there are several 100,000 miles left in the vehicle.
    Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
    Regards,
    Ryan

My daddy told me to believe half of what I see, and nothing what I hear. That dealer would never lie to you, now would he?

Take the truck to a mechanic that you trust and have it checked out. I would even get a compression test of all cylinders, look inside the oil pan, etc., IOW, do an intensive check out.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2005
      • Independence, MO, USA.
      • bt3100

To the best of my knowledge the Z71 is a 4x4.

That to me, means, you have NO idea, how the previous owner used it. Light, or going Mudding EVERY weekend.

I agree with Cabinetman, get this looked over by someone you trust. Dealers do try to put the best of the best on their lots, that is just good business, but it still is a xxxpshoot.

Motors generally last at least a couple hundred thousand, but there are models that have had issues with leaking head, or manifold gaskets (when they first changed antifreeze, and early years of the aluminum blocks had more problems), etc. It is the transmission, differentals, etc. that would concern me more.
      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• andrew.r.w
        Established Member
        • Sep 2003
        • Canada.

I drive a '95 Silverado Z71, bought in 2000 with 100,000km. It now has 270,000 and I'm not expecting it to die any time soon. Should be good for 350,000 km I suppose. (That's 60,000 miles, 165,000 miles, and 210,000 miles). I'm a believer in buying older vehicles and keeping them a long, long time. My wife drives a '92 Crown Vic with well over 200,000 (miles) on it.

If it hasn't been abused the engine should be fine. A look at the oil and knowledge of the last change will tell the story. Things like brakes and water pump might be coming due, but those things are easy to fix. I'd expect the odd $200 repair (alternator, fuel system stuff, etc.) but nothing major if it's not already showing signs.

In my experience, high-mileage is not a problem for short-haul and once you get to know the thing you might drive it long distances if it's healthy. The good thing about older, high-mileage vehicles is they're cheap. Instead of making payments you squirrel away a fund for emergency maintenance. If you can do the work yourself, that's even better.

FWIW, driving always to save gas, saves the whole vehicle.
        Andrew

Comment

• fbrend123
          Established Member
          • Aug 2006
          • Michigan
          • Ryobi BT3000

I've had several Chevy trucks, and by the time they had over 90,000 miles on them, they were finished. I'm on my second non-GM truck right now, and my first one went to 100,000 miles, and I traded it because I wanted a new truck. All my vehicles were regularly maintained, although before the last two, I stayed away from the dealer, once they were out of warranty. Lots of nickle-dime stuff, but the major problem was the Turbo-Hydramatic 350 tranny, which never went beyond 55,000 miles on any of them. The 3/4 ton Chevy that I had sported a TH 400, and that never gave me a problem, although the rest of the truck did (engine - 4-bolt main 350). That was the last GM. I used the 1/2 tons to pull a pop-up camper, and the 3/4 tons to pull a travel trailer. Every car I had with the TH-350 never went more than 55,000 miles on the first tranny, either. In any case, the replacement transmissions were done by the time they got to 40,000 or 50,000 miles, too.

I realize that these trannys are no longer being used, and I can't attest to the reliability of the current crop, since I haven't bought a GM product in 15 years. Oh, and BTW, having once worked for GM, and living in an area where GM used to have a large presence, the dealers thought they owned you, and getting service/satisfaction out of them was a nightmare, if at all possible. As I attested to in another thread, my current non-GM dealer has treated me so well since I have been buying vehicles from him, that I don't mind carrying his advertising in the form of trunk stickers and license plate frames. Just my two cents' worth.

Comment

• Daryl
            • May 2004

I have a 90 S-10 with about 180,000. It has used a bit of oil for the last 100,000. I was told that the 4.3 valve seals were apt to leak which was the cause. Lately it has been fouling one plug but it is a good driver around town.
            Sometimes the old man passed out and left the am radio on so I got to hear the oldie songs and current event kind of things

Comment

• fbrend123
              Established Member
              • Aug 2006
              • Michigan
              • Ryobi BT3000

Every Chevy that I ever had developed leaky valve seals when they got a few miles on them. You could always tell by the blue smoke out of the exhaust when you started them up. Oil would seep through the seals into the combustion chamber when shut off, and the accumulation would blow out the tailpipe when you cranked them over. No blue smoke when accelerating or decelerating. Just at startup. Never hurt anything, but after a couple of thousand miles begged the question, "add or change oil?".

Comment

• Popeye
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2003
                • Woodbine, Ga
                • Grizzly 1023SL

If you really like the truck and the price is right, take it to an outside mechanic and have it checked. I've driven most of my trucks close to 200k and I've had all the domestic brands. My current truck is a 93 Chevy with 192,000 on it. I bought it with 191k on it in January. My son Kevin said other than a brake job it was in great shape. Kevin is a certified GM mechanic at a dealer in Jacksonville, Fl. Bottom line is.. if they are taken care of and not abused they'll all do 2-300k. But that's not to say there aren't some lemons out there. Also think about what you are going to use it for. Long trips and heavy loads or short trips to the lumber yard and the landfill. I might not have bought a 191k truck to make long trips but my needs fell into the later. Pat
                Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>

Comment

• jonmulzer
                  • Dec 2007
                  • Indianapolis, IN

I have the same truck you are looking at, but mine has 140K of working miles. Not grocery store and back only. Hauling 200 gallons of diesel fuel on occasion when needed, slogging through the mud (for work, not pleasure), pulling trailers, etc. It is certainly used. The only thing that I have had trouble with was the rear diff. Other than that, literally the only things that have been done to it have been 2 sets of tires and one battery. I love my truck and will drive it until either it or I die. I would go for it if I were you.
                  "A fine beer may be judged with just one sip, but it is better to be thoroughly sure"

Comment

• Shipwreck
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Mar 2005

Spectrographic analysis

The tests are pretty cheap to do these days ( around $40.00 ) and can be done at almost any place where Semi trucks have thier oil changed at.

It will give you a PPM reading on what metals are suspended in the oil, and a heads up on any internal components that may be wearing out.

I have been using the spectrographic analysis testing for 30 years on everything from large marine propulsion diesels to my sons baja engines.

Comment

• Russianwolf
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2004
                      • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
                      • One of them there Toy saws

Checking the Oil may not tell you anything as that's one of the first things the dealer will change to hide the truth.

If you can check the tranny fluid and take a good look at the bushings on the tie rods and suspension you'll get a good picture of how hard it's been riden. If the bushings are in good shape for the age, then it likely hasn't been put under load much. If the Tranny fluid is clear of debris, then it should be in overall good shape.

You can also check the gear oil in the axles (or axle as it may be IFS), but most likely there won't be a problem there that you won't hear while driving it.
                      Mike
                      Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                        The Full Monte
                        • May 2007
                        • Sunshine State
                        • BT3000

I always used to request that the dealer ask the previous owner if I can contact them and talk about the vehicle. If he won't do it, pass on the truck, because it either has history that he doesn't want you to discover, or it's a wholesale piece with little verifiable history beyond what a Carfax will tell you. One thing about car salespeople... although many are nice enough people, almost any of them will be tempted to lie, cheat or steal if it means more money in their pockets, or making their quota and keeping their job. It is a dog-eat-dog business, and times are tough right now.

I now have the luxury of having a friend and neighbor who is an upscale used car dealer. He takes me to the auctions when I'm in a looking mood. He has all kinds of gadgets for measuring paint thicknesses, analyzing fluids and such, and has an incredible eye and knowledge of trouble signs. You'd be amazed what you can uncover if you know what you're doing. All I have to pay him is the auction price, plus tax and the fee the auction charges the dealers. It is my understanding that many dealers such as him do this same sort of deal with the general public, with only a small $200-400 finders fee for their time and trouble. He might buy 20 or more cars at a single auction, so you can see they're not going broke doing this. If you find a good one, you will never shop conventional car dealers again.

Comment

Working...