• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Britain's Driving Test

Britain's driving test, according to the Union Jack thought to be the most difficult in the world, is about to get harder.

The Driving Standards Agency in England is raising the written portion from 35 to 50 questions. New subjects added are causes
    of high fuel consumption, questions about catalytic converters, CO-2 emissions, and green and ecological
    questions.

Ray - What's the deal with this?

Substance information from Road & Track, May 08.
  • RayintheUK
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2003
    • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
    • Ryobi BT3000

The theory (multiple-choice questions) part of the Driving Test came in on July 1st. 1966. On January 4th., 2000, the computer touch-screen was introduced for the theory test. On November 14th. 2002, Hazard-Perception tests using video clips were added to the theory stage. On September 1st., 2003, "Show me, Tell me" questions were added ("Show me how to ... " and "Tell me how to... "), the first theoretical, the second practical.

The improvements have followed a fairly steady path, but recently there has been a greater feeling of "you first learn to pass the test and then you learn to drive." The addition of more practically-based questions and tasks hopes to overcome this.

Anything that tightens up the test is to be applauded. We're not as stringent as Sweden, BTW!

Ray.

Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2005
      • Independence, MO, USA.
      • bt3100

What about Germany? Last I heard, the test was $1500 (when our money was strong), and one of the most difficult test of all (they do have no speed limit on parts of the autobahn).
      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• poolhound
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2006
        • Phoenix, AZ
        • BT3100

I took my D-test back in the UK (yup I am actually English) and although it was quite a number of years ago I can tell you its harder than the one here. I remember when my kids took their tests a few years back here in Phoenix I couldnt believe how easy they had it.
        Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
        techzibits.com

Comment

• kirkroy
          Established Member
          • Feb 2007
          • Brunswick, MD

I would be fine with US tests being more difficult, considering what I see on the roads every day (110 mile round trip commute), even if I had to take the new test myself. Of course, I'm also a crotchety young man who will complain endlessly about the lack of lane discipline, people being "nice" rather than following the legal right of way, etc, etc...

Comment

• LinuxRandal
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2005
            • Independence, MO, USA.
            • bt3100

Originally posted by kirkroy
            I would be fine with US tests being more difficult, considering what I see on the roads every day (110 mile round trip commute), even if I had to take the new test myself. Of course, I'm also a crotchety young man who will complain endlessly about the lack of lane discipline, people being "nice" rather than following the legal right of way, etc, etc...

Changing lanes without signals or looking, etc....

My personal pet peeve, that I believe Germany has correct, is drive in the right lane, UNLESS your passing (or it is a left turn lane, your merging into). You ought to be able to flash your lights and get them to move over. 25 in a 45 doesn't cut it.
            She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• kirkroy
              Established Member
              • Feb 2007
              • Brunswick, MD

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
              My personal pet peeve, that I believe Germany has correct, is drive in the right lane, UNLESS your passing (or it is a left turn lane, your merging into). You ought to be able to flash your lights and get them to move over. 25 in a 45 doesn't cut it.
              Yep, that's what I mean by lane discipline. It is a huge pet peeve for me (like keeping a tyrannasauros rex as a pet). I especially *love* it when there's someone going 55 in a 65 in the left lane while driving by the "slower traffic keep right" signs (on I270 in Maryland). I've never had road rage issues (which would doubly stupid since I take a motorcycle to work 99% of the time) but it would be easy to see how that behavior could encourage it.

Comment

• cwithboat
                • Jan 2008
                • 47deg54.3'N 122deg34.7'W
                • Craftsman Pro 21829

So how effective is this testing? Does anyone have accident/distance driven figures?
                regards,
                Charlie
                A woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke.
                Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• jackellis
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2003
                  • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
                  • BT3100

I'd like to see two additions to the driving rules. First, you retake the written test periodically. Second, you drive with an inspector periodically to demonstrate your skill level.

Pilots have to accomplish both within a certain period of time in order to maintain their flying privileges, with or without passengers. For me, the interval is 24 months and it has two benefits. First, it makes you review the rules of the road, which are a lot more complicated for aviation than for driving. Second, it helps squelch bad habits before they become life habits.

Comment

• RayintheUK
                    Veteran Member
                    • Sep 2003
                    • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by cwithboat
                    So how effective is this testing? Does anyone have accident/distance driven figures?
                    Statistics tend to lag behind a bit, but I've found the following quotes for you:

"3,172 fatalities were recorded on Britain's roads in 2006, down from 3201 in 2005. The number of people seriously injured fell to 28,390 only marginally lower than 28,954 recorded a year earlier. Total casualties figures fell from 258,404, from 271,017 in 2005."

National Statistics on road casualties in Great Britain for the third quarter of 2007, which relate to casualties in accidents reported to the police:

"The provisional estimates show the number of fatalities in road accidents were down by 5 per cent for the twelve months ending September 2007 compared to the previous twelve months. Total casualties were down 4 per cent, and killed and seriously injured casualties 2 per cent, compared with the previous 12 months."

Best I can do.

Ray.

Comment

• cabinetman
                      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                      • Jun 2006
                      • So. Florida
                      • Delta

Originally posted by RayintheUK
                      Statistics tend to lag behind a bit, but I've found the following quotes for you:

"3,172 fatalities were recorded on Britain's roads in 2006, down from 3201 in 2005. The number of people seriously injured fell to 28,390 only marginally lower than 28,954 recorded a year earlier. Total casualties figures fell from 258,404, from 271,017 in 2005."

National Statistics on road casualties in Great Britain for the third quarter of 2007, which relate to casualties in accidents reported to the police:

"The provisional estimates show the number of fatalities in road accidents were down by 5 per cent for the twelve months ending September 2007 compared to the previous twelve months. Total casualties were down 4 per cent, and killed and seriously injured casualties 2 per cent, compared with the previous 12 months."

Best I can do.

Ray.

Lower statistics are a good thing. What could account for the decrease? Could higher fuel prices mean less driving? How about unemployment?

Comment

• RayintheUK
                        Veteran Member
                        • Sep 2003
                        • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by cabinetman
                        Lower statistics are a good thing. What could account for the decrease? Could higher fuel prices mean less driving? How about unemployment?
                        I doubt that increased fuel prices have any effect - the main victim profile is (and always has been) male between 20 and 24 years of age, more often than not when accompanied by similar-age females. My doubt is brought on by the fact that this age group have the most disposable income and - if not - are more likely to joy-ride than older age groups.

There have been a number of high-profile police campaigns in the last two or three years and - in fact - I saw a huge one last Friday (April 4th.) near the Severn Crossing in South Wales. They were targeting unlicensed and/or uninsured vehicles, using ANPR (Automatic Number Plate Recognition) technology, with cameras on the motorway crossing bridges. The cameras are computer-linked to National databases, including Excise Licensing, Insurance, MoT Testing (safety certification) and the police criminal database.

Any sort of camera on a motorway slows things down, plus our "normal" static speed cameras (or "Safety Cameras" as they're now called!) must now always be overt and bright yellow in color - that's had an effect too. This isn't to say that mobile speed cameras can't be (and always are) covert, so the overall pressure on motorists to slow down has increased - probably threefold - in the last three or four years. Reduction in speed often results in casualty reduction, which is one of the current Government aims.

Ray.

Comment

• atgcpaul
                          Veteran Member
                          • Aug 2003
                          • Maryland
                          • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by kirkroy
                          Yep, that's what I mean by lane discipline. It is a huge pet peeve for me (like keeping a tyrannasauros rex as a pet). I especially *love* it when there's someone going 55 in a 65 in the left lane while driving by the "slower traffic keep right" signs (on I270 in Maryland). I've never had road rage issues (which would doubly stupid since I take a motorcycle to work 99% of the time) but it would be easy to see how that behavior could encourage it.
                          Thankfully I don't have to commute on the 270 but when I do go out on the
                          weekends, I see this all the time. I'm getting ready to leave Seattle in a few
                          hours and I'd have to say their drivers are worse on the freeways. They are
                          more courteous to pedestrians in the downtown, though. Although the
                          traffic isn't as bad as DC area traffic, people fill up every lane even during off-
                          peak hours and just "park" themselves in the fast lane. They are mostly
                          oblivious to cars approaching from behind and don't move over to let others
                          pass. Don't get me started on the people who don't yield in the HOV lane.
                          Argh!!!!

Comment

Working...