need some good thoughts

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Russianwolf
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • 3152
    • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
    • One of them there Toy saws

    #1

    need some good thoughts

    Cheyenne, the 11 year old husky that we adopted a little over a year ago went for her first vet visit (with us) on Saturday. We found out that she has heartworms. Contacting her old vet, we found out that the last time she had a heartworm test was 2000, and her last vet visit was 2005.

    She started treatment today, she's not a happy camper but my wife is able to vist her and reassure her that in a couple days she will be back home with her pack. She has had her back shaved and is on an IV right now, and will be staying until Thursday. She is in very good shape for an 11 year old and has a strong heart, so she should come through this find, my only concern for her is getting depressed while at the vet.

    She led a rough life at her old home. Kept outdoors 24/7/365 by a family that really didn't love her. Comparitively we've made the last year pure bliss. She only goes out to go to the bathroom and she gets great food and all the love she can handle. She deserves some more spoiling.

    As many of you will recall that it was about this time last year that Lakota was diagnosed with cancer and we lost him on the 12th, I want this April to be a time of remembrance, not grief. So think about Cheyenne, and all the life she still has to live.

    Thanks.
    Mike
    Lakota's Dad

    If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.
  • LarryG
    The Full Monte
    • May 2004
    • 6693
    • Off The Back
    • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

    #2
    You got 'em aplenty, Mike.

    I think about Lakota's story every time I see your sig line. I wouldn't have guessed it has been almost a year since you lost him.
    Larry

    Comment

    • ragswl4
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • 1559
      • Winchester, Ca
      • C-Man 22114

      #3
      Originally posted by Russianwolf
      Cheyenne, the 11 year old husky that we adopted a little over a year ago went for her first vet visit (with us) on Saturday. We found out that she has heartworms. Contacting her old vet, we found out that the last time she had a heartworm test was 2000, and her last vet visit was 2005.

      She started treatment today, she's not a happy camper but my wife is able to vist her and reassure her that in a couple days she will be back home with her pack. She has had her back shaved and is on an IV right now, and will be staying until Thursday. She is in very good shape for an 11 year old and has a strong heart, so she should come through this find, my only concern for her is getting depressed while at the vet.

      She led a rough life at her old home. Kept outdoors 24/7/365 by a family that really didn't love her. Comparitively we've made the last year pure bliss. She only goes out to go to the bathroom and she gets great food and all the love she can handle. She deserves some more spoiling.

      As many of you will recall that it was about this time last year that Lakota was diagnosed with cancer and we lost him on the 12th, I want this April to be a time of remembrance, not grief. So think about Cheyenne, and all the life she still has to live.

      Thanks.

      We went on an extended trip last year and could not take our beloved "Raggy Boy" so we boarded him at his Vets office. He was very depressed and unsettled while he was there (Vet told us) and a little paranoid for a while after we brought him home. However he soon recovered to be himself again.

      While I know pets get depressed when left alone in a strange place away from their owners, I believe that they recover quickly. Lots of love after an extended absence works wonders and it sounds as if Cheyene gets lots of that so I wouldn't worry. An extra treat each day for a week will heal the emotional wound a little quicker. Gotta love them dogs. They give us everything and don't ask for much more than a pat on the head.
      RAGS
      Raggy and Me in San Felipe
      sigpic

      Comment

      • Uncle Cracker
        The Full Monte
        • May 2007
        • 7091
        • Sunshine State
        • BT3000

        #4
        Had an old Heinz-57 that came down with heartworms at 9-y.o., and the vet said to put him down, because he wouldn't survive the treatment at that age... We said treat him anyway, and he flew through it and lived another 9 years. Sending you all the positive vibes I got...

        Comment

        • TB Roye
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2004
          • 2969
          • Sacramento, CA, USA.
          • BT3100

          #5
          LOML and I along with our new Sheba Inu/Lab, Rose send our best. LOML got rose from the city pound a month after I lost my Choc Lab Toby last July. She has been a blessing and has a great life. The first of every month she gets her Heart Worm and Flea meds so we can have a happy healthy dog. When we travel she is boarded at the Vets, but my niece is the Senior Vet Tech so she gets all the attention she needs and comes home with her on the weekend. I remember the story of Lakota and know how you feel. Cheynne will make she has you.

          Tom
          Last edited by TB Roye; 04-01-2008, 05:14 PM.

          Comment

          • Pappy
            The Full Monte
            • Dec 2002
            • 10490
            • San Marcos, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 (x2)

            #6
            A depressed Husky????? As long as there is a human around, any himan, to handle the petting duties I'm not sure that is possible.

            My last huskie lived to be almost 15 and got a full grown possum about 2 weeks before he died! Cheyenne has several great years ahead.
            Don, aka Pappy,

            Wise men talk because they have something to say,
            Fools because they have to say something.
            Plato

            Comment

            • Ed62
              The Full Monte
              • Oct 2006
              • 6021
              • NW Indiana
              • BT3K

              #7
              About 10 years ago, a Golden Retriever showed up at our house. We couldn't find out who owned him, so we took him to the vet for a checkup. He had heartworms too. We got him treated, and he did just fine. When he recovered, we found a good home for him becuse we had another dog that didnt' get along with him.

              Wishing you the same outcome for Cheyenne. Once she returns home, it shouldn't be too long before she's comfortable again. It's always hard when you have a pet that has something like this, but I think it makes you appreciate them all the more when things return to normal. We're all keeping our fingers crossed.

              Ed
              Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

              For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

              Comment

              • Russianwolf
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2004
                • 3152
                • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
                • One of them there Toy saws

                #8
                a quick update, LOML visited her again today. She is weak and tired, but from her breathing she sounds good. I got to talk to her by phone and tell her that we are picking her up tomorrow and that I can't wait to have her back home where she belongs.

                I am taking the day off to go pick her up (Mommy dropped her off with those "evil" people but daddy is cming to "rescue" her ) The ain reason for me taking the day off is I expect her to be weak and need some space. The others listen to me alot better than they do to LOML (It's an alpha thing).

                She will have follow up visit over the next couple weeks and months to check that they got them all. HOpefully this will be the only treatment need.
                Mike
                Lakota's Dad

                If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

                Comment

                • annunaki
                  Senior Member
                  • Jan 2008
                  • 610
                  • White Springs, Florida
                  • 21829, BT3100, 2-BT3000(15amp)

                  #9
                  6 Dogs, 1 Cat, 1 African Grey

                  All are strays or abandoned/rescues
                  Xena was the "Pet of the Week" in the local newspaper that the Pound had posted a photo of in 2000.
                  This Black& White Great Dane caught my eye and I went there "Just to look at her". She KNEW! At first sight, it was like I was her "Lost Love". I walked her in their yard on a leash to see how she behaved- Lovingly.
                  When we left, she couldn't get into the back seat fast enough.
                  When I took her to me Vet for the Mandatory Adoption Spaying, he found Heart Worms
                  He said that between the spaying costs, and the heart worm treatment- no guarantees, he could get me a Dane puppy with Papers- did I really want ti incur this risky expense?
                  I called the Pound. They said they would take her back and refund my adoption fees, but would not treat her for the Heart worms, but would probably 'Put her Down".
                  I told my Vet to make her well.
                  We guesstimate she is 10 yrs old now and as my Vet says "Out of Warranty" by about 3 yrs. Hearing and eyesight are good and she plays with a younger dog and prances around the yard. I never regret the expense and each day my life is better with her as well as the others, being a part of it.
                  Now my "Pack" is quite diverse going from Chihuahua, Dachshund,Beagle, Pit Bull, , Black short haired mystery with a black tongue.
                  Each has separate personalities.
                  All are a joy.
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fileodecahedron.gif

                  Comment

                  • annunaki
                    Senior Member
                    • Jan 2008
                    • 610
                    • White Springs, Florida
                    • 21829, BT3100, 2-BT3000(15amp)

                    #10
                    Added

                    Forgot to mention that Xena loves to swim in the pool and is almost as fast as I am. She will exit to pee the return. On hot days I'll hear splashing and see her playing with her tennis ball, throwing it and swimming after it. Sometimes she will spend most of the day in the water. The exercise is great, no stress on her joints, no over heating, and great cardio vascular.
                    Whenever she gets her check up my Vet just shakes his head and smiles.
                    She is a recent Cancer survivor. Had a tumor on her rear ankle about the size of a lemon. It was around an artery and tendon. Tricky surgery. Vet did a good job and she runs like a gazelle. Learned that my Vet once worked for a Zoo with all kinds of exotic animals.
                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fileodecahedron.gif

                    Comment

                    • Russianwolf
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2004
                      • 3152
                      • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
                      • One of them there Toy saws

                      #11
                      Great to hear. The cost was never a question for us. We don't have that much in extra funds, but for family, I'll find a way. On the bright side, our vet knows that all 8 are rescues and doesn't blink when we ask for a payment schedule (not his usual practice).

                      12 hours and counting till I go spring her.
                      Mike
                      Lakota's Dad

                      If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

                      Comment

                      • Uncle Cracker
                        The Full Monte
                        • May 2007
                        • 7091
                        • Sunshine State
                        • BT3000

                        #12
                        Rescued dogs may be just animals, but nobody can tell me that they don't know you saved their bacon. Any one of the "pound puppies" that have ever been a part of my family would have died to protect any one of us at any time. The one pet shop animal we had... lazy, arrogant, and stupid. A dog's love, unconditional, it's loyalty, everlasting. I am not ashamed to say that I treasure most of them above a whole lot of people I've known, hands down.

                        A shout-out to an old Bassett hound of my long-ago youth... "Gator" loved the kids so much that he would meet them at the door with a bucket of candy in his mouth on Halloween. My little brother tortured that poor animal, poking his eyes and pulling on his ears until he literally passed out from the pain. Yet anyone who came near my brother would've disappeared in a flurry of ears, teeth, jowls and slobber. Oddly enough, the day he died... Halloween. A shot of Patron in the air now for Gator... Nothing but the best for the best...
                        Last edited by Uncle Cracker; 04-02-2008, 10:59 PM.

                        Comment

                        • annunaki
                          Senior Member
                          • Jan 2008
                          • 610
                          • White Springs, Florida
                          • 21829, BT3100, 2-BT3000(15amp)

                          #13
                          To Uncle C.

                          "I am not ashamed to say that I treasure most of them above a whole lot of people I've known, hands down."

                          You said it all! Last sentence nails it!
                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fileodecahedron.gif

                          Comment

                          • Russianwolf
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jan 2004
                            • 3152
                            • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
                            • One of them there Toy saws

                            #14
                            Cheyenne is home !!!!!



                            She has a major bald spot (about 8x8 inches) and is tired, but the is VERY happy to be home and in great spirits.

                            She goes back to the vet in a couple weeks for follow-up checks to make sure no further treatment is needed.

                            Thanks for all the good vibes. Her entire family is excited to have her home and we are all taking a good nap
                            Mike
                            Lakota's Dad

                            If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

                            Comment

                            • Uncle Cracker
                              The Full Monte
                              • May 2007
                              • 7091
                              • Sunshine State
                              • BT3000

                              #15
                              Originally posted by Russianwolf
                              Cheyenne is home !!!!!
                              Good for her, Mike! Glad to hear it...

                              Comment

                              Working...