• Show
Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Mattress opinions wanted

I made the oak bed that we now have - 25 years ago and will be shipping it home in 3 1/2 years (when we return for retirement) without the mattress and box springs. I will be looking to replace the mattress and box springs (are they necessary?)

I am looking at:
    1. Select Sleep Comfort
    2. Tempur-pedic
    3. Beauty Rest.

I like what I read about the Sleep Comfort (Select Sleep Comfort) and the Tempur-pedic. LOML does not like the concept of the Tempur-pedic because she feels she will not be able to "roll over" easily based on the way it "behaves." I am favoring the idea of the Select Comfort because we both like different degrees of hardness/softness.

Does anyone have and sleep on either the Select Sleep Comfort or the Tempur-pedic? What are your opinions?

Thanks
    Last edited by leehljp; 03-31-2008, 05:16 PM.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
  • smorris
    • Apr 2003
    • Tampa, Florida, USA.

We have the select comfort and love it. I tend to like mine a little softer than the wife who goes for the plywood over concrete setting. Nice to be able to have individual settings and we both find it handy to alter the setting. When my back is bad I stiffen it up some and that helps a lot.

We went through a regular boxspring matress, a waterbed and finally this. We both wish we hadn't thought this was too expensive far sooner.
    --
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice

Comment

• atgcpaul
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2003
      • Maryland
      • Grizzly 1023SLX

My parents used the Select Comfort for many years but in their new house,
      they moved it into the guest room and have gone back to a traditional
      matress. I don't know why. When they bought it, I was a kid and thought it
      was the greatest idea. When my wife and I visit, though, we dread having
      to sleep on it. Although it's filled with air, there seems to be a dip in the mid
      section and we usually wake up with sore backs. We can't seem to pump it
      up enough. I think it's the quilted padding on the top of the mattress that
      has gotten flat, but all I know is, I don't like it.

Paul

Comment

• smorris
        • Apr 2003
        • Tampa, Florida, USA.

Originally posted by atgcpaul
        When my wife and I visit, though, we dread having
        to sleep on it. Although it's filled with air, there seems to be a dip in the mid
        section and we usually wake up with sore backs. We can't seem to pump it
        up enough.
        Paul
        Assuming you are talking about the queen or larger dual mattresses. There is a divider which goes between the mattresses, if that is missing or has slipped out of place you can get the dip in the center like you describe. Unzip the top and check that the divider is in place properly.
        --
        Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice

Comment

• Marv
          Forum Newbie
          • Dec 2005
          • Noblesville, In, USA.

Mattress opinions

Select Comfort broke off from Comfortaire several years ago. They added the numbers to the controllers, advertised a lot and upped the price "a whole bunch." My wife and I sleep on Comfortaire mattresses and love them. With ours you adjust the controllers to the firmness you want but you do not have numbers to reference. I can do without the numbers for the large money difference.

Comment

• jaybee
            Established Member
            • Feb 2006
            • Regina, SK, Canada
            • BT3100-1

If the bed is big enough, you could fit 2(two) Ikea or equivalent motorized folding bed frames into it. Then, you each choose which mattress suits you the best - out of the ones which work with the folding frames. You then shim the frame that ends up lower - if you get different mattresses. Everybody ends up happy. I cheated and boston bolted two(2) mates beds together - moved the motor on one of the frames - and ended up with lots of under bed storage.

Comment

• Russianwolf
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2004
              • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
              • One of them there Toy saws

Originally posted by smorris
              Assuming you are talking about the queen or larger dual mattresses. There is a divider which goes between the mattresses, if that is missing or has slipped out of place you can get the dip in the center like you describe. Unzip the top and check that the divider is in place properly.
              If its a standard King, it could be that the mattress is in the wrong orientation. Standard Kings, are almost square so it's easy to get it out of whack and have it set so that your head is on one airbed, and you legs are on the other . The divider would then run accross the bed instead of down the middle.
              Mike
              Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• Pappy
                The Full Monte
                • Dec 2002
                • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 (x2)

With 2 bad discs in my lower back waking up in pain was the norm. Then I switched to the Select Comfort (also pre-numbers) and they are now only as a result of overdoing the day before, and not always then. Wouldn't trade it for anything on the market.
                Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                Fools because they have to say something.
                Plato

Comment

• eccentrictinkerer
                  • Aug 2007
                  • Minneapolis, MN
                  • BT-3000, 21829

We tried the Select Comfort queen-size for 30 days and took it back. I really wanted it to be the one, but we really didn't get a great night's sleep. Felt a little sway-backed no matter what 'sleep number' we used.

We bought a $500 quilt-top from Sam's Club. Best bed we've owned in 40 years.
                  You might think I haven't contributed much to the world, but a large number
                  of the warning labels on tools can be traced back to things I've done...

Comment

• BadeMillsap
                    • Dec 2005
                    • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
                    • Grizzly G1023SL

+1 Select Comfort

We've had Select Comfort (pre number) for MANY years ... and I don't expect to every use anything but ... I like sleeping on a HARD surface ... as in concrete is a little soft ... my wife wants something softer ... the ability to have it both ways (king bed two air bladders) is perfect for us ... we bought regular select comfort for our kids when in Jr high and they liked them as well ... and I can vouch for the warranty service ... hassle free.
                    "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
                    Bade Millsap
                    Bulverde, Texas
                    => Bade's Personal Web Log
                    => Bade's Lutherie Web Log

Comment

• poolhound
                      Veteran Member
                      • Mar 2006
                      • Phoenix, AZ
                      • BT3100

I am on my second Tempur-pedic style matress. They are all similar technically and have a solid foam based with a topper of the "memory foam. Our first was like the TP in that it was all memory foam. The one we have now has a slight pillow top.

Amongst other benefits of foam matresses is you do not need to flip them.

Bottom line is we think they are fantastic. They take some getting used to, primarily as with the really soft foam you have to climb out :-)

They are extremely comfortable and 100% supportive without feeling like you are sleeping on the floor.
                      Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                      techzibits.com

Comment

• jAngiel
                        • Oct 2003
                        • Ryobi BT3100

We have a select comfort and really do not like it. I hate the divider down the middle when I want to lay by LOML. Being able to have different comfort levels on each side was a plus but the dividing line is really uncomfortable.

But what I hate most is that it is an extremely light bed. So light that in the winter when you want to pull up the covers there isn't anything down at the foot of the be to hold the end of the top sheet tucked in. I guess if you have extra long sheets or take two and sew them together it would hold but pulling out the sheets in the middle of the night and uncovering my feet really pi$$es me off. I know that sounds a little strange but it's that reason that I will never recommend one and will never buy another.

The foundation is also a joke. It's like those big plastic yard toys for kids, slide and lock. The little tabs that hold it together break off pretty easy.
                        James

Comment

• jgrobler
                          Established Member
                          • Dec 2005
                          • Salinas, CA, USA.
                          • TS3650

We tried a TP bed for 60 days. My wife loved it, by day 30 her chronic back-pain was completely gone. I, on the other hand developed a back ache after just a few days that I couldn't live with. It stayed with me for about 90 days after we switched back to a simmons beauty rest.

We can't both be pleased, I guess I'm complaining the most. YMMV

Comment

• jking
                            • May 2003
                            • Des Moines, IA.
                            • BT3100

Select Comfort

We have had a Select Comfort Sleep Number bed for about five years. I had a pretty good inner spring mattress (10 year warranty) and after five years I was to the point where I couldn't get a good nights sleep. I'd wake up with a sore back because we were sleeping in noticeable divots. I even flipped & rotated as recommended.

Our's came with the plastic foundation; a little tough to put together, but no problems with it breaking. You could build your own from plywood; it just provides a rigid surface & acts a spacer. There is also a cover for the foundation that has a slightly tacky (rubbery) surface. This helps keep the sheets & mattress in place. I would not be without the cordless numerical control for the bed. It takes a little bit of time for the air pump to fill the bladder & it's much more convenient to dial in a number and let it adjust.

We really like our bed. My wife credits the bed for allowing her to actually get good nights of sleep both times she was pregnant. She would have her side adjusted as low as possible. She dreaded having to travel towards the end of the pregnancies because she wouldn't have the bed. Normally, we don't adjust ours much; we find a number and set it. She likes her side of the bed noticeably softer than mine. Over time I can see how the foam divider & the foam pieces around the perimeter of the mattress would degrade. If that happens I'll just replace them.

I won't ever buy another inner spring mattress.

Comment

• Knottscott
                              Veteran Member
                              • Dec 2004
                              • Rochester, NY.
                              • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

We spent two nights at a B&B last summer that had a king size Temperpedic.....it was really, really nice. None of the conventional mattesses I've slept on compare.
                              Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

Working...