• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • iceman61
    • Oct 2007
    • West TN
    • Bosch 4100-09

Need help QUICK

I'm headed to as Lowes & Home Depot to window shop for planers in an hour or just as soon as I can get a shower & get ready. Anyway, I thought I read somewhere on here that Home Depot gave veterans a year long discount as opposed to Lowes once a year discount. Anyone know the facts on this? Who knows, if I could get HD to meet or beat Lowes' price including the latest tool department discount plus an addtional veterans iscount, this will more than likely turn into a buying trip.

Someone chime in if you remember anything about the HD veterans discount.

Thanks ahead of time guys!
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

Don't know if the veterans discount is still happening. There is no mention of it on the HD website, and you'd think they would be trumpeting that all over if it were still on.

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
      Don't know if the veterans discount is still happening. There is no mention of it on the HD website, and you'd think they would be trumpeting that all over if it were still on.

My understanding was that it was just for Veterans Day. Calling both HD and Lowes and asking about any military discounts before going shopping might answer the question better.

Comment

• iceman61
        • Oct 2007
        • West TN
        • Bosch 4100-09

Thanks guys for the help. For some reason a forum search on the veterans discount yielded nothing. However, I did have a brief moment while dancing around trying to get dressed & called as suggested.

The veterans discount is still going on so maybe it's an ongoing thing. They will meet a competitors price & give an extra 10%. Still it isn't as good as Lowes 15%, unless they will couple it with a veterans discount.

Coincidentally, Lowes sale on the DeWalt 13" planer is 17%. YMMV, but I saw the sticker yesterday. That discount ends today, then just 15%. Then again I'm still not sure which planer I may purchase, DeWalt, Delta, Ridgid etc...

Thanks UC & cabinetman!......headed out to tool shop

Comment

• TheRic
          • Jun 2004
          • West Central Ohio
          • bt3100

With the Ridgid planner you can get a Limited Lifetime Warranty. You have to fill out a card within 90 and send it in to qualify. To me having a longer warranty (in about anything) is always worth something.
          Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• footprintsinconc
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2006
            • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
            • BT3100

well, i am with Ric on the ridgid planer. however, keep in mind the dewalt has two speeds and the second speed (higher) gives you a much cleaner/smoother finish and it has three blades as opposed to two blades on the ridgid. honestly, with either you will be fine.

Comment

• annunaki
              • Jan 2008
              • White Springs, Florida
              • 21829, BT3100, 2-BT3000(15amp)

VET Discount

I still get mine all year long in HD and Lowes matches it
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fileodecahedron.gif

Comment

• Shipwreck
                Forum Newbie
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by annunaki
                I still get mine all year long in HD and Lowes matches it
                I believe that the Lowes here in Virginia Beach has 1 weekend a month for military discounts.

Comment

• TheRic
                  • Jun 2004
                  • West Central Ohio
                  • bt3100

Originally posted by footprintsinconc
                  well, i am with Ric on the ridgid planer. however, keep in mind the dewalt has two speeds and the second speed (higher) gives you a much cleaner/smoother finish and it has three blades as opposed to two blades on the ridgid. honestly, with either you will be fine.
                  Actually the new Ridgid Planer R4330 has three blades on it. The older Ridgid did only have 2 blades.
                  Ric

Comment

• footprintsinconc
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2006
                    • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
                    • BT3100

i didnt know it was at the HD's already. i went to 3 local stores on friday but they still had the older style. well, in that case, i would lean towards a ridgid.

Comment

• TheRic
                      • Jun 2004
                      • West Central Ohio
                      • bt3100

Originally posted by footprintsinconc
                      i didnt know it was at the HD's already. i went to 3 local stores on friday but they still had the older style. well, in that case, i would lean towards a ridgid.
                      Now you got me , I saw them listed on Ridgid's web site a while back (both new and old). Now they only show the new one. I have not been to HD since before Xmas.
                      Ric

Comment

• Wood_workur
                        Veteran Member
                        • Aug 2005
                        • Ohio
                        • Ryobi bt3100-1

I'd take the ridgid for the warranty and the stand it comes with.
                        Alex

Comment

Working...