• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Thalermade
    • Dec 2002
    • Ohio
    • BT 3000

How should we keep track of great info?

Didn't know which forum to place this, so I figured I would start here.

2 recent and 1 blast from the past postings have some great information which is very useful to old and new woodworkers alike. While the information may be most useful for small shop (which most of us are) users, it is still very good information for all.

Here are the 3 which caught my attention and led to this post:

Overcoming disorganization: http://bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=37273

K clamp storage http://bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=37271

Frankenvac http://bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=20893

So my questions are:
    1. Can we keep these more readily available for BT3 forum readers?
    2. How do we keep them readily available? Are they best of material or do we need a new category?
    3. If we need to start a new category - something like a shop tips and tricks that are creations from members - how should we decide what might qualify?

While these 3 are are shop related, they might get lost in the Shop Setup, Layout and Design forum. My thinking is that we need to add a new section to the Articles section.

As always, thanks for the great ideas everyone,
    and thanks for listening,
    Russ
  • LinuxRandal
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2005
    • Independence, MO, USA.
    • bt3100

Look just above this thread, at thread tools. Click subscribe. Then go to User CP on the quick links bar, you will see new subscribed threads. Click on show all subscribed threads (this will show any you have responded to, I don't know if there is a way to eliminate that).
    She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• radhak
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2006
      • Miramar, FL
      • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Good question Russ, and one I have always wanted.

As yet, LR's suggestion (subscribing to the thread) is the best I came up with. Good thing with that is, you could make your own determination of what makes a thread great (as against a central list determined by committee). Bad is, this is a rather scattered way of tracking good info.

Another way is, using your browser's Bookmarks : you could bookmark each thread and add to a special bookmark-folder. Of course, if you lose the browser or the machine (or work on multiple computers)....

The forum software should really allow us to 'bookmark' things; but I guess 'subscription' it their way of doing it.
      It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
      - Aristotle

Comment

• rnelson0
        Established Member
        • Feb 2008
        • Midlothian, VA (Richmond)
        • Firestorm FS2500TS

Neither answer satisfies the main question - how do you present these valued threads to new members?

The two best ways are either a FAQ or sticky threads. I prefer a FAQ, as sticky threads could quickly outnumber non-stickied threads in some areas.

Comment

• Black wallnut
          cycling to health
          • Jan 2003
          • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
          • BT3k 1999

Originally posted by rnelson0
          Neither answer satisfies the main question - how do you present these valued threads to new members?

The two best ways are either a FAQ or sticky threads. I prefer a FAQ, as sticky threads could quickly outnumber non-stickied threads in some areas.
          I agree with you about sticky threads! Perhaps the best way for new members and visitors to find this information is with a use of the search function. I could copy some topics to the Best Of Forum section if there is enough demand. I tend to believe that the best way new members can get information is for them to post their own question so that they get answers to their direct questions, plus the interaction with other members is what keeps this forum fresh.

If all folks did was read the archives I doubt we would have the membership growth that we have. The only drawback to copying threads to the Best Of Forum is that unless a user chooses "show posts from beginning" he likely will not ever see the content that is already there.
          Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• mschrank
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 2004
            • Hood River, OR, USA.
            • BT3000

Hey Mods...How 'bout adding a "best of" or "tips & tricks" category in the Articles section of the site?
            Mike

Drywall screws are not wood screws

Comment

• LinuxRandal
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2005
              • Independence, MO, USA.
              • bt3100

Originally posted by mschrank
              Hey Mods...How 'bout adding a "best of" or "tips & tricks" category in the Articles section of the site?

If enough people said it was worth it, since the moderators can send posts to other groups (classifieds from around the coffee pot), couldn't the article get moved to the articles section?

So we need some sort of nomination progress, as the mods have enough to do.
              She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• rnelson0
                Established Member
                • Feb 2008
                • Midlothian, VA (Richmond)
                • Firestorm FS2500TS

The only drawback to copying threads to the Best Of Forum is that unless a user chooses "show posts from beginning" he likely will not ever see the content that is already there.
                A sticky thread in a forum with a list of articles in it would work well. Administration of it would be tricky. I would suggest a sticky thread at the top of "Getting Started..." that has this FAQ. In the Best Of Forum, there could be a sticky thread for nominating articles and threads to the FAQ. Then, the community gets to participate in nominating FAQ material. It does, however, put the burden on the mods to update the FAQ.

Comment

• Ed62
                  The Full Monte
                  • Oct 2006
                  • NW Indiana
                  • BT3K

I like the idea of having things like that readily and easily available, not only to newbies, but also to accomplished woodworkers. I'm sure there are none of us that know every trick in the book. Not sure about the best way to go about it, though. We don't want to make things too complicated for anyone, including the mods.

Ed
                  Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• pelligrini
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2007
                    • Fort Worth, TX
                    • Craftsman 21829

The forum software has a good tool that could be used to consider a thread worthy. Users can rate threads. Up on the top there is a 'Rate this Thread' tool. Once a thread is rated it will show how many votes it got and the average rating. That might be an easier way to determine good material without actually doing a nominating process and all.

Maybe once a thread gets 10-15 or so excellent votes it could be deemed worthy.
                    Erik

Comment

• footprintsinconc
                      Veteran Member
                      • Nov 2006
                      • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
                      • BT3100

you know, those three have caught my eye too. but been too busy to read, and since they fall off if they dont get a response, i just have to remember to read through them at a later date, if i can remember.

it would me neat to be able to find some of these real quickly as oppose to doing a search. i have had problems with search results not showing what i was looking for. i have managed to find them another way, by remember the member's name who posted in the tread, and search it from there. then again, i may not be doing the search correctly.

Comment

• Black wallnut
                        cycling to health
                        • Jan 2003
                        • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                        • BT3k 1999

Originally posted by pelligrini
                        The forum software has a good tool that could be used to consider a thread worthy. Users can rate threads. Up on the top there is a 'Rate this Thread' tool. Once a thread is rated it will show how many votes it got and the average rating. That might be an easier way to determine good material without actually doing a nominating process and all.

Maybe once a thread gets 10-15 or so excellent votes it could be deemed worthy.
                        Great idea but members would have to start using this feature.

Originally posted by footprintsinconc
                        you know, those three have caught my eye too. but been too busy to read, and since they fall off if they dont get a response, i just have to remember to read through them at a later date, if i can remember.

it would me neat to be able to find some of these real quickly as oppose to doing a search. i have had problems with search results not showing what i was looking for. i have managed to find them another way, by remember the member's name who posted in the tread, and search it from there. then again, i may not be doing the search correctly.
                        I've often found less than expected results when I search.
                        Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• pelligrini
                          Veteran Member
                          • Apr 2007
                          • Fort Worth, TX
                          • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by Black wallnut
                          Great idea but members would have to start using this feature.
                          Correct, the rating feature would need to be used a whole lot more than it is. I think if the users were made aware of the need to rate a really good thread we might start doing it.

I think the easiest way to keep track of the good ones would be to have a stickied post in each sub-fourm containing links to the worthy threads. You wouldn't have to create any sort of heirarchy in some sort of best of thread or move threads to the Best of foum.
                          Erik

Comment

• skipwill
                            Established Member
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Columbia, SC, USA.

This is not meant to be a plug...but...<g>

That is one of several reasons that I wrote ShopFileR.

I was collecting many, many forum messages as links and needed a way to file, organize, and search for them. Also, some forums delete messages after a period of time, and I wanted a way to save and be able to find the thread when saved to my HD as a .mht file. I probably have collected several thousand links and forum threads over the past year or so. I now put all of my links (including favorite links) in ShopFileR instead of using IE or other browses 'favorites' function. This way I can move or copy all ShopFileR info to other PCs or carry with me on a USB stick.

ShopFiler will sort the links by category,description, web address, or date added. Also a query button to allow searches.. ie: search descriptions for 'finishing' and 'cherry'.

ShopFileR also will help keep a tool inventory, project information, etc, etc...

Y'all are welcome to download and install and give it a try. No set time limit or expiration and is easy to install (and uninstall if you don't like it). If you have any questions or comments on it (good or bad) give me a holler.

Again, sorry if this seems like a shameless plug, but I use the heck out of it for this very problem and thought it might help address the OPs question.
                            Skip
                            www.ShopFileR.com

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                              Veteran Member
                              • Feb 2005
                              • Independence, MO, USA.
                              • bt3100

Skipwill does bring up another idea (since there are a lot of non Window's users here). I have also used the thread tools to make a printable link, then copied that into open office (insert your word processor). I think they might be out for Mac now.
                              Anyway, then I can save it in that format, via a couple of different ways. For me, PDF seems good.

Comment

Working...