how do you remove the inner bearing on front rotors?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • footprintsinconc
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2006
    • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
    • BT3100

how do you remove the inner bearing on front rotors?

i have a 2001 gmc safari. its rear wheel drive. it has about 92k on it. i am going to be doing a front brake job and need the rotors turned.

i took them off. didnt take any time at all. but i cant seem to figure out how to remove them. last time i did this, i was in high school. i lay the rotor down with the inside down and with a center punch, i cant figure out where to hit so the seal pops out the back face. does anyone know?

also, since i do have the rotors out, should i replace the outer + inner bearing? or just repack them and obviously, use a new seal and put them back in?

thanks for helping!
    • Dec 2007
    • Indianapolis, IN

It is quite possible that they are sealed units that you cannot replace bearings on. You may have to replace the whole hub. I always pick up a Haynes of Chilton manual for all my vehicles. They are much better to answer specific questions like this and they are fairly cheap to buy.
    "A fine beer may be judged with just one sip, but it is better to be thoroughly sure"

Comment

• Shipwreck
      Forum Newbie
      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by footprintsinconc
      i have a 2001 gmc safari. its rear wheel drive. it has about 92k on it. i am going to be doing a front brake job and need the rotors turned.

i took them off. didnt take any time at all. but i cant seem to figure out how to remove them. last time i did this, i was in high school. i lay the rotor down with the inside down and with a center punch, i cant figure out where to hit so the seal pops out the back face. does anyone know?

also, since i do have the rotors out, should i replace the outer + inner bearing? or just repack them and obviously, use a new seal and put them back in?

thanks for helping!

You can tap the bearings out using a brass drift and hammer. Place the drift on the outer race and keep hitting/tapping in a circular manner. The seals can be removed by forcing a "sacrificial" screwdriver under the synthetic lip and prying the metal edge of the seal. Tap out the outter bearing first, then flip the rotor and remove the inner.

Generally speaking, if these are the original bearings, I would get rid of them. The cost isnt that much more anyways. If you are getting rid of the rotors, just leave the bearings in place and forget about em.

Comment

• eezlock
        • Feb 2006
        • Charlotte,N.C.
        • BT3100

removing inner bearings

I see mechanics do this....remove the outer bearing, large retaining washer,
        then thread the axel nut back on a few threads, grab the rotor by the edges
        and give it a slightly hard, pulling, jerking motion. It is using the axel nut to
        pop the inner bearing loose from the backside of the rotor. It won't damage anything, it will leave the bearing and grease seal on the spindle where it is easily taken off and put in the rotor after it has been serviced ( turned) on a brake lathe. eezlock

Comment

• TB Roye
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2004
          • Sacramento, CA, USA.
          • BT3100

I would check with a dealer or get a manual. Many of the newer cars and trucks have sealed or/lifetime bearings that supposedly don't need service.

Tom

Comment

• AAJIII
            Established Member
            • Jan 2003
            • WANAQUE, NJ, USA.
            • Steel City 10" table saw

As an x auto mechanic I can tell you that I used Ezlock's method all of the time with no damage to the bearings.

With 92k on the veh I would also replace the bearings.

Al
            AL JEWELL

Comment

• footprintsinconc
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2006
              • BT3100

well thanks guys!

i went over during lunch and dropped of the rotor to be turned. the guy said that they were turnable (if thats a word).

they are not a sealed unit, so they are removable. i will try eezlock's method of removing when i get home tonight. and since the morning, i have been thinking of replacing the bearings, so thanks Al for setting me in the correct direction on the bearings.

i have been thinking of getting the Haynes of Chilton manuals, but just been super lazy. so i will get one, hopefully soon.

Comment

• pelligrini
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2007
                • Fort Worth, TX
                • Craftsman 21829

With amost a 100K on them I would change them now, while the rotors are already off.

If you don't, I betcha you'll be changing the bearings out within the month. Seems to always work that way for me.
                Erik

Comment

• footprintsinconc
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2006
                  • BT3100

man! when i went to knock out the inner bearings, i didnt tap too hard, but bearing just broke apart and the bearings came out! this reminded my that at 70k, the bearings on my rear were making noise and were replaced under warranty. since i have only 7k left on the warrenty, the front bearings were cutting real close.

thank god, the brakes were due for a change and the rotors needed to be turned at just the right time.

so, i am now going to pack the new bearings and cleaning up and install the rotors with new pads!

Comment

Working...