• Show
Clear All
  • Knottscott
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Rochester, NY.
    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

If I had a "say"...

Happy Easter all - This is always a good time of year to reflect on the challenges and blessings in life. I'd like to share a story that's been very much on my mind lately. It's long and fairly trivial in the overall scheme of things, but has been a pretty big deal to me personally.

In 1999 I started to have some vocal issues. I noticed it first in a loss of control when singing with our church choir, and it got worse from there, ramping up over a period of months, until it became very difficult to even speak. After many prayers, healing services, laying on of hands, doctors appointments, allergy tests, shots, invasive expeditions of my nasal cavities and throat resulted in no assignable causes or improvements. The doctors finally determined that it was a neurological disorder known as "spasmodic disphonia" where the throat muscles don't fire in sync...no known cures, but periodic Botox injections to the larynx are considered a temporary and somewhat successful treatment. After 4 botox treatments (ever wonder what it's like to choke on fish bone? ), only one treatment had been marginally successful... the downside of a "successful" treatment is an extended period of a worsened condition...> 6 weeks in this case, with nearly no voice at all, followed by a few months of minor improvement from where we started. Insurance eventually stopped covering the very expensive shots, and I didn't pursue the issue because it was largely ineffective, painful, and basically not worth the temporary gain.

The ramications of a greatly diminished voice are life changing....not terminal, and not as radical as loss of site, hearing, a limb, or likely many other ailments, but life changing nonetheless....no more choir, it became very difficult to communicate effectively at meetings, presentations were awkward at best, bantering with checkout clerks, etc. was difficult, and phone conversations were always unpredictable. It literally changed who I was and what I was able to do, but life goes on and you find other ways to lead your life. A formerly outgoing boisterous baritone was forced to acquiesce and speak only when it was important, or only to those who were willing to take the time to deal with the voice issue so they could hear me.

Singing was by far the most disappointing aspect of this loss. Those who don't sing, may not understand, but those who do, or who play some sort of instrument know that it's a gift and a blessing. It was something that I was pretty good at (or at least my Mom always thought so! ) ...no Josh Grobin mind you, but I did solo, sang in musicals (played the lead in one), weddings, funerals, and other special groups at church, and just really loved it....it was a huge part of my life, prayer life, and my inspiration. Leaving the choir was bitter for me and was as life changing as joining it was.

Fast forward to 2007....I've been employed with Kodak for nearly 27 years in the same building, and have survived 16 downsizings and watched our workforce numbers drop from ~ 69K employees to ~ 9K locally. Our division offered a voluntary separation package last September that got nearly double the response they were looking for. The end result was a mad shuffle to cover critical operations, and by October I ended up with a job change that includes shift work in a new building. About 5 weeks ago I started having some "good moments" with my voice, followed by unprecedented "good days", and eventually a couple of previously unimaginable "good weeks" that have continued to be sustained. The voice isn't 100% of what it was, and may never be... it endured 8 years of strain from trying to speak, but it's working for the most part! Three weeks ago I attended a choir rehearsal and made an appearance with the group for a Sunday service. My work schedule has prevented any further rehearsals for the next couple of weeks, but last Wednesday while the choir was rehearsing and I was at work, I received a phone call from a trusted friend and fellow "bass" in the choir who said his Easter music has my name written on the male solo part from years ago, and the director would like me to sing it at Easter! Talk about putting the cart ahead of the horse! I could hear other members in the background coaxing me to do it...so with the assurance that I had two understudies in the waiting if needed, I agreed to give it a go. Last night I sang with the choir at our Easter Vigil, and sang my solo part without a glitch. It was a fairly short simple part, that ironically was the first solo I sang with that group...I'm sure none of them knew that but I sure remember it. My biggest fear wan't screwing it up...it was that I'd get choked up and cry! This has all come on very quickly and unexpectedly. Though I've dreamed of this moment for many years, 6 weeks ago I wouldn't have imagined it would happen like this when it did....never saw it coming, and would have never thought things would progress so rapidly. It may not last, but what an incredible blessing to have even a temporary reprieve from this struggle. I owe the good Lord a huge thank you for answered prayers, and would encourage others who struggle with their crosses and burdens to hang onto hope. You just never know when and how God will heal you.

God Bless and Happy Easter everyone!
    Last edited by Knottscott; 03-23-2008, 10:27 AM.
    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.
  • ironhat
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2004
    • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
    • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Wow, DM!! What a wonderful Easter renewal. God is good and continues to hear us even when we don't think that He hears or that His hand is evident.
    Congrats and Blessings!!
    Blessings,
    Chiz

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
      The Full Monte
      • May 2007
      • Sunshine State
      • BT3000

Very inspirational, DM. Your joy is more than evident. Hopefully, it will give others pause for thought.

Comment

• Ed62
        The Full Monte
        • Oct 2006
        • NW Indiana
        • BT3K

Getting your voice back after such a long time? What a blessing! I hope it will be a permanent thing, without setbacks. It's always great to hear a story like that, especially from someone you know, even if it's only from the web.

Ed
        Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• Slik Geek
          • Dec 2006
          • Lake County, Illinois
          • Ryobi BT-3000

Thank you for sharing your painful struggle and today's awesome victory! I hung on every word of your story and rejoice with you today. I'm proud of your fellow choir members for their encouragement of you as well.

We take so many things for granted.

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 2006
            • On the TARDIS
            • BT 3100

Thanks for the story DM. My voice was missing for the past week due to a cold. It was hard for the few days but I can't even begin to imagine what you had to endure. Thank you for being an inspiration.
            From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Knottscott
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2004
              • Rochester, NY.
              • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Thanks for the encouragement and kind words gang. I got up this morning pinching myself and just needed to tell somebody...it was a pretty big deal to me that I don't think even my wife fully understands.

The cause of the voice problems now appears to have been environmental....likely work related, which the doctors ruled out early on, and not spasmodic disphonia as they thought. My new work building has HEPA filtration. That job change was certainly not something that I would have chosen, but there have been enough unforeseen blessings involved and I wouldn't want to switch back. There's ultimately a bit more money involved due to more hours, and it frees me up more during the week, which helps with the doctor's appointments for the kids, it's lower stress, and of course getting my voice back is a minor miracle....if there is such a thing.
              Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• billwmeyer
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2003
                • Weir, Ks, USA.
                • BT3000

Wow, I am so happy for you. I hope you continue to keep your voice. You said it was environmental, I hope you have taken steps in your workshop to minimize problems there.

Keep on singing!

Bill
                "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

• mater
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2004
                  • SC, USA.

That was an inspiring story and I could feel your pain and struggles and then the ultimate joy. May God continue to bless you.
                  Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• pierhogunn
                    Veteran Member
                    • Sep 2003
                    • Harrisburg, NC, USA.

that's great, sounds like that whole closes a door, opens a window sort of thing
                    It's Like I've always said, it's amazing what an agnostic can't do if he dosent know whether he believes in anything or not

Monty Python's Flying Circus

Dan in Harrisburg, NC

Comment

• germdoc
                      Veteran Member
                      • Nov 2003
                      • Omaha, NE
                      • BT3000--the gray ghost

Wow, congratulations!

You may know that radio host and super interviewer Diane Rehm has this condition and has been very public about it. (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1892123908)

An acquaintance of mine in radio in La Crosse also has this problem but has managed to stay on radio.
                      Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

Comment

• Knottscott
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2004
                        • Rochester, NY.
                        • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Originally posted by germdoc
                        Wow, congratulations!

You may know that radio host and super interviewer Diane Rehm has this condition and has been very public about it. (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1892123908)

An acquaintance of mine in radio in La Crosse also has this problem but has managed to stay on radio.
                        Yep...I read all about her the first year I was diagnosed with it. The injections have worked well for her I understand.

Comment

Working...