• Show
Clear All
  • Stytooner
    Roll Tide RIP Lee
    • Dec 2002
    • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
    • BT3100

Shark guard 9.0

Guys and Gals, just want to let y'all know about the newest designation of the Shark. This will be the 9.0 and the 9.4.
    All this model has that the others don't is an extra rod and two screws. I have now had the fourth front failure from about 3500 shipped items.
    I can see how the new rod should eliminate the issue.
    I will have images to follow when I get a chance, but be rest assured, if you get something from me, it will be the best that I know how to do.
    Please don't take this as a spam, but more a public notice. The Shark started because of the forum and you guys, so y'all do have a say.
    Last edited by Stytooner; 03-21-2008, 08:48 PM.
    Lee
  • eezlock
    • Feb 2006
    • Charlotte,N.C.
    • BT3100

sharkguard 9.0

We don't have any doubts about you or your products Lee....just the best
    as always, could not expect anything else! eezlock

Comment

• maxparot
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Mesa, Arizona, USA.
      • BT3100 w/ wide table kit

Wow Lee and I have a 2.0 still doing it's job without complaint!
      Opinions are like gas;
      I don't mind hearing it, but keep it to yourself if it stinks.

Comment

• softop41
        Established Member
        • Jul 2004
        • Plainfield, IL, USA.
        • BT3100-1

Lee,
        And the improvements just keep on coming! Will there be an upgrade to be added to the 8.0/8.4 units?
        Jerry
        Jerry
        Making High Quality Sawdust in Northeast Plainfield

Comment

• Stytooner
          Roll Tide RIP Lee
          • Dec 2002
          • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
          • BT3100

I find if I catch the flaws quickly, relatively few will have any trouble.
          This latest addition simply adds strength to the front part to eliminate the few troubles these have had. As I mentioned, only 4 that I know about have been damaged. No one was ever hurt and that is the ultimate reasoning for what I do. I was also thinking about making the front portion 1/4" thick. This might help, but the extra rod in the font will give these far greater strength and add very little weight. If I hear of a new version 9 breaking, the next version 10 would remedy that. I just don't feel that I need to implement that with the latest upgrade.
          Breakage is a rare occurrence anyway given the stats, but the goal is to never be sued. I will keep increasing the structure on these until it's no longer even possible to break one.

They are really only designed to catch one extreme kickback. Like the Saw Stop, they may need replacing after they do their job. My real goal is to allow the shark to sustain a great kickback and not need anything but adjustment. I am now on version 9 and this will be one heckuva guard.

The new parts are available to retrofit as well. If you want to upgrade, an email and shipping cost is all it will take.
          I still haven't gotten around to the images of the broken ones, but will soon.
          Lee

Comment

• Black wallnut
            cycling to health
            • Jan 2003
            • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
            • BT3k 1999

Don't worry Lee I think our forums Spam eliminators have given this topic two thumbs up! It seems more like a press release!

Your dedication to the safety and welfare of others is without question inspiring.
            Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• Stytooner
              Roll Tide RIP Lee
              • Dec 2002
              • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
              • BT3100

Here is the link to the page explaining this upgrade.
              http://www.leestyron.com/90upgrade.php
              Thanks.
              Lee

Comment

• jackellis
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2003
                • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
                • BT3100

Lee,

I'm not a registered engineer and the following is probably worth less than you're paying for it, but after looking at the photos, a couple of thoughts:

The Shark Guard absorbs a lot of the energy that would otherwise be absorbed by the next thing an errant piece of wood hits (like the saw operator), so having it break is actually not a bad thing. Kinda like crumple zones in a car or plane. You probably don't want to make any claims about it's ability to withstand impact without breaking and you don't want to claim it will protect the operator from all harm.

Although no one wants to see a $100 accessory get broken, it's my opinion that having it break in the event of a bad kickback is probably a better outcome, just like the sawstop blade cartridge and blade are destroyed when a body part gets in the way of the blade. Replacing a guard is a lot less expensive than a visit to the emergency room.

Comment

• MikeMcCoy
                  • Nov 2004
                  • Moncks Corner, SC, USA.
                  • Delta Contractor Saw

FWIW I agree with Jack. I've been using a table saw for most of my adult life and just had my first kickback a couple of weeks ago. (Which is why you already have my order by the way ) I would rather have the guard eat the wood than my chest.

Comment

• Stytooner
                    Roll Tide RIP Lee
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                    • BT3100

Thanks guys. The intent of this new bracing rod isn't so much to keep the guard from breaking as it is to keep that front part of the guard from separating on impact. I imagine the right type hits will still crack these. Cracks can usually be repaired easily by the wicking action of the solvent I use to weld these together.
                    If this new rod helps to keep the parts in location, then it is well worth it.

You won't catch me claiming that these are indestructible and I'll never claim they will protect 100%. They are a safety aid. They help with safety.

I will say that these are about the strongest guard you will find anywhere and if one of these gets damaged by a hit, you can bet any other would have as well. These damages weren't really caused by kickbacks either, but by small parts being either sucked up by the large DC or simply getting slung forward by the teeth. This is why I recommend a blast gate on 4" ports. I am also designing an internal blast gate on the shark for both models that could be retrofitted as well. Those will cost more of course and be optional, but will nicely integrate a blast gate and look pretty cool doing it.
                    I doubt that anything will stop a major kickback once it has started, so the best thing to do is to try and prevent major kickbacks from happening. The sharks design works to that goal.

Damages have been so few that I am able to support these really well. The move to increase the strength is two fold. It should give the owner fewer chances of trouble and gives me better chances that a warranty issue can be repaired rather than replaced. The extra cost and time is minimal for the payback I think.

Just a note. My Website host will be moving to new servers tonight and tomorrow. My site may be down for 24 to 48 hours.
                    Thanks.
                    Lee

Comment

Working...