• Show
Clear All
  • Whaler
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Sequim, WA, USA.
    • DW746

A New Beetle

Maggie took her 99 VW Beetle in for the 40,000 mile service yesterday and they called today saying that it needed $475.00 in repairs over and above the 40,000 mile service.

We had been talking about a new car and planed on selling my truck so figured this was the time. We traded in her Beetle and my Ranger, they gave more than I expected and no service to pay for on the old Beetle, we drove a new 2008 Beetle home.
    Last edited by Whaler; 07-16-2008, 01:09 PM.
    Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Nice. Fun to drive too. My in-laws are in town and rented one to go to the mountains last week.

But... you traded your truck in on a Beetle? How you gonna tow your boat?

Wait a minute... a '99 going in for the 40k mile service???? My car is an '05 and it just turned over 60k.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

Congrats on the new car. Nothing like that new car smell. Whoa...I just thought of something. How you gonna stuff lumber in a Beetle?

Comment

• MilDoc

I didn't know they still made the Beetle. Fond memories of my sunshine yellow 1972 Bug!

Comment

• Whaler
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Sequim, WA, USA.
          • DW746

Only 40K on her 99 Beetle and 36K on my 04 Ranger.
          She had a roof rack on the old one, that I saved so I may look like the Ikea commercial at times.
          My last Beetle was one I bought new in 64, what a difference.
          Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• Ed62
            The Full Monte
            • Oct 2006
            • NW Indiana
            • BT3K

Congrats on the new purchase. I'm sure you'll like the mileage better than that of your Ranger.

Ed
            Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• bigstick509
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2004
              • Macomb, MI, USA.
              • BT3100

Old Bug

Originally posted by MilDoc
              I didn't know they still made the Beetle. Fond memories of my sunshine yellow 1972 Bug!
              Looks like a fun little car dick, like Mildoc I also have found memory's of my 72 Beetle.

Mike

"It's not the things you don't know that will hurt you, it's the things you think you know that ain't so." - Mark Twain

Comment

• Black wallnut
                cycling to health
                • Jan 2003
                • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                • BT3k 1999

I took my driver's test in a hmmm...IIRC a '66 body pan and running gear, with a '68 body. Lots of memories in that car. We, (dad, one of my older brothers, and I) started the rebuild on May 19, 1980. Was not any school for a week so we didn't have much else to do. My oldest brother was given a beetle for his HS graduation in '79. He rolled it the next fall, sold it back to dad. We had to replace a bunch of sheet metal in the body pan. Dad had several upgrades that he always did to bugs: toss the back seat,(replaced with a piece of plywood), place a coil next to the battery that somehow increased the voltage when a screwdriver was shorted across it (don't recall how it worked or why but it did) whenever it was hard starting, and bending the shift lever to a more comfortable position.

Great looking ride Dick! That seems like a perfect car for where you live.
                Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

Working...