X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JSUPreston
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • Montgomery, AL.
    • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

Need help with adopted family member...

Well, the Lane house has grown tremendously in the past 24 hours. Yesterday we adopted a German Shepherd puppy. He's 3 months old and already weighs in at about 17 pounds (that's 7.7 Kg to everyone else). We can tell that he is going to be quite large, since his paws are already the size of the palm of my hand.

Here's where I need some help. I need to build a dog house, poste haste. I've looked on the web for a few minutes, and haven't had a whole lot of luck in finding a plan that will suit our needs. Most of the plans have a roof similar to what you find on a house, but everything I've read says that this is a bad idea. I'd like a flat, sloping roof that is on hinges, and a wind break wall inside. I'm sure someone around here has run into this before and could point me in the right direction. I'd prefer free plans sot that I can save the money for materials , but will pay for the right plan. If someone can help me out, I'd appreciate it.

Just FYI: SWMBO has named him Sebastian. He's very friendly and will do well with the children. Little Stephen (6 year old), is a little scared right now, because the puppy is almost as big as he is. Sebastian still playfully nips at people, but we've already started training him not to do that. He already knows sit, shake, fetch, and usually responds well to a firm "No!" He was already pretty well housebroken. One accident so far, and we figure that was more excitement and nerves than anything else. We got him as a pure bred from the local pound. He's already had all his shots and had a certain procedure done that makes all men squirm.

We're wanting him to be more of a playmate for the boys (6 and almost 9) than a guard dog, which is how we will train him. I had a GS up until my mother died before I turned 8, and felt that it would be good for my boys to have one. I have nothing but fond memories of old George (ironically my father in-law's first name) and want the same for my boys.
    "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.
  • Ed62
    The Full Monte
    • Oct 2006
    • NW Indiana
    • BT3K

That's the time to get them together. Congrats on the new addition.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Cody_Layla_web.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	781966

Ed
    Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• John Hunter
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2004
      • Lake Station, IN, USA.
      • BT3000 & BT3100

Back when my kids were little I built one like you are describing. It had two sections so that when the dog entered she went in at one side then had to go to the other side to enter the back of the dog house. This way the winter wind could not just blow straight in. I also built the roof so that it lifted off. Made it real easy to clean the dog house out.
      John Hunter

Comment

• crokett
        The Full Monte
        • Jan 2003
        • Mebane, NC, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000

Are there free plans that have the peaked roof that you can modify? It would not be that hard to frame a roof on hinges. I would go with a light roofing material. Ply+shingles would be heavy.
        David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• jaybee
          Established Member
          • Feb 2006
          • Regina, SK, Canada
          • BT3100-1

While the boss is away ...

Took some time at work (supper break ) to find this:

http://www.ronhazelton.com/howto/dog...nstruction.htm

Looks like it fits all of your requirements.

Comment

• JSUPreston
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2005
            • Montgomery, AL.
            • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

Jaybee, that's what I'm looking for. Only mod I think I will need to make is to make the wind break removable. Here in the deep south, we have temps of over 100 with humidity making it feel like 110-115. By making the break removable, I can prop up the roof on a hot day and let any breeze pass through, cooling it off a little.

Crockett, I'm with you on the shingles. I won't put any on because of the heat and weight.

Thanks for all the input. If we can get the little feller to stop play biting, things will work out for us. I know that since he's a puppy, it's natural, but it still hurts. We've been working with him on that already.
            "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• Les Sayers
              Forum Newbie
              • Feb 2006
              • N. Ireland
              • Piece of ****

Hi

Just built this for an Irish Setter - similar size (ish) to a German Shepherd.

http://www.buildeazy.com/fp_doghouse.html

HTH

Comment

• jaybee
                Established Member
                • Feb 2006
                • Regina, SK, Canada
                • BT3100-1

For suitable air conditioning (and heating) you might consider this:

http://www.hitechbuildingsystems.com/HVAC/index.php

The major reason for the high cost, is that it is sized to run longer and properly dehumidify a small volume. A lot of people use them in teardrop trailers.

Comment

• Hellrazor
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2003
                  • Abyss, PA
                  • Ridgid R4512

Originally posted by JSUPreston
                  Crockett, I'm with you on the shingles. I won't put any on because of the heat and weight.
                  A white metal roof would be a good fix to reflect the sun. If you have any friends that work for a commercial roofing contractor, ask if they can get you any cutoffs of some white TPO roofing.

Make sure you have some form of positive locking on the roof so a t-storm can't blow it off. That is the only concern I see with the design you plan to use. It should lock in the open and clsoed position.

Comment

• cabinetman
                    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                    • Jun 2006
                    • So. Florida
                    • Delta

If you're after a lightweight, cool roof material, I used panels for a shed from:
                    http://www.ondura.com. They are 49" x 79", cut very easy, and are about $15.00/panel @ Lowes.

Comment

Working...