Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Our First Page

Originally posted by cgallery
    The WayBackMachine is an archive that allows you to view old web pages starting at approx. 6 months of age.

Hey, this is great. I tried it and found our first forum page. Check it out!!
  • Tom Slick
    Veteran Member
    • May 2005
    • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
    • sears BT3 clone

That is neat. to put a little perspective into that timeframe, we had just begun the invasion of Iraq less then a month prior.
    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• TB Roye
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Sacramento, CA, USA.
      • BT3100

That's pretty neat.

Tom

Comment

• Ed62
        The Full Monte
        • Oct 2006
        • NW Indiana
        • BT3K

Seven members and four guests. Talk about a traffic jam!

Ed
        Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• BobSch
          • Aug 2004
          • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
          • BT3100

Originally posted by Tom Slick
          That is neat. to put a little perspective into that timeframe, we had just begun the invasion of Iraq less then a month prior.
          I'm not trying to make this a political discussion, but who back then would have thought we'd still be there.
          Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• germdoc
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2003
            • Omaha, NE
            • BT3000--the gray ghost

I miss the fonts and the colors. It looks like DUD had the first posting by the coffee pot, and interestingly there were some scattered references to the BT thong...
            Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

Comment

• footprintsinconc
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2006
              • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
              • BT3100

interesting indeed. so does that mean that sam is still hosting those pages ...?

Comment

• MilDoc

Not quite the first page, but I have to say I like today's look better.

Hey, Sam. Other than yourself and anyone who helped set up the site, just who was the first registered member?

Comment

• Sam Conder
                  Woodworker Once More
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Midway, KY
                  • Delta 36-725T2

Originally posted by MilDoc

Hey, Sam. Other than yourself and anyone who helped set up the site, just who was the first registered member?
                  I was #1 and #2. Number 3 was Chuck C, who I don't think is active anymore. Number 4 is Loring.
                  Sam Conder
                  BT3Central's First Member

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." -Thomas A. Edison

Comment

• cabinetman
                    • Jun 2006
                    • So. Florida
                    • Delta

Originally posted by MilDoc

I did my best. Actually it is the first page I could access.

Comment

• cabinetman
                      • Jun 2006
                      • So. Florida
                      • Delta

Originally posted by Sam Conder
                      I was #1 and #2. Number 3 was Chuck C, who I don't think is active anymore. Number 4 is Loring.

If we have what is called "Charter Members" what does it refer to? Is it what your membership number is (like the first 10, 50, or 100), or a designated period of signing up (like the first month, 3 months)?

Comment

• Rslaugh
                        • Sep 2003
                        • Punta Gorda, FL, USA.
                        • None right now

So Sam - since you have so much spare time today being that the conversion went so smooth - maybe you could change the message headers to indicate the poster's member number as well as where they're from and and how many posts theyve done.

(Great job on the conversion - Thanks!!)
                        Rick
                        IG: @rslaugh_photography
                        A sailor travels to many lands, Any place he pleases
                        And he always remembers to wash his hands, So's he don't gets no diseases
                        ~PeeWee Herman~

Comment

• Sam Conder
                          Woodworker Once More
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Midway, KY
                          • Delta 36-725T2

Originally posted by Rslaugh
                          So Sam - since you have so much spare time today being that the conversion went so smooth - maybe you could change the message headers to indicate the poster's member number as well as where they're from and and how many posts theyve done.

(Great job on the conversion - Thanks!!)

I'm gonna have to say "nay" on this request. Although it would be cool, it kinda smells like the "stars & rankings" thing and could be ripe for bickering.
                          Sam Conder
                          BT3Central's First Member

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." -Thomas A. Edison

Comment

• Black wallnut
                            cycling to health
                            • Jan 2003
                            • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                            • BT3k 1999

Originally posted by cabinetman
                            If we have what is called "Charter Members" what does it refer to? Is it what your membership number is (like the first 10, 50, or 100), or a designated period of signing up (like the first month, 3 months)?
                            As far as I can remember I'm the only one that used the title of "Charter Member." When Sam first launched this forum he posted a topic on the old Ryobi Power Tools Forum inviting folks to help him with some "beta testing" of some forum software (Snitz) he was thinking of using to launch a new forum. So I consider those that either clicked through Ryobi or responded to a personal email invite as "Charter members."

Many of today's active members were here at the beginning. Most likely remember advising new woodworkers to be sure to check out Sam Conder's Jigs and Fixtures site..... After a few months of testing Sam started another website Weekendwoodworker.com, at least that is what I think it was called. This site continued to grow his other site never really caught on. It was dropped right around its first year.

FWIW each user already has member since listed on each post they make. I think that is plenty. I don't think it matters when one joined or how many posts one has. We are just happy each has found this site and finds the experience a good one. Many countless fellow woodworkers have been helped by content posted here and that is what it is all about!

BTW on our first anniversary we had 1454 members. That's not too shabby for a forum started as a beta test!
                            Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• KenBurris
                              Established Member
                              • Jan 2003
                              • Cincinnati, OH, USA.

Mark, you joined 2 days after me ! I don't remember if I had bought my BT3100 by then or was still looking (my dad gave me money to buy it for xmas)
                              Ken in Cincinnati

Pretend this line says something extremely witty

Comment

Working...