• Show
Clear All
  • JoeyGee
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2005
    • Sylvania, OH, USA.
    • BT3100-1

Cleaning the Dealer Sticker off a Car

I recently purchased a vehicle (used) which has a dealer sticker on the back--I HATE that. Now that it's finally above freezing, I am going to take it off. Any idea if Goo Gone will do any damage to the paint?

It consists of individual letters, and it's not one of those metallic kinds. It should come off, I just want to make sure the sticky crap comes off, too.
    Joe
  • JeffG78
    Established Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Northville, Michigan - a Detroit suburb
    • BT3100

I know it's bugging you, but I would wait until the weather is a bit warmer. Cold weather and decal removal creates a mess. The letters will just break rather than peal off and you will have a lot harder time getting it clean. When you peel the letters off, use a hair dryer to get the area as warm as possible. Once they are off, try some WD40 on a cloth to remove the glue residue. It will leave a bit of a greasy spot, but will wash off. Bug and tar remover would probably work as well but is harsher. Just be careful not to dig or scrape at the letters. You will leave scratches in the paint.

Comment

• jonmulzer
      • Dec 2007
      • Indianapolis, IN

This bugs me also. The last vehicle I bought from a dealer I waited until it was time to close the sale and told them that the final condition was that they remove the sticker. It went back and forth, but I told them point blank that they would not get my money until the sticker was gone, and stuck to it. I literally did not sign the paperwork or the check until all dealer stuff was gone from the truck. I much prefer to have them do such things. They even asked if there was anything I could do to let them keep it on, I told them, "Of course, pay me for the advertising. Knock another grand off and pay me $100 a month from now until I sell it!"

Always better to have the dealer do such things before the sale is completed. That way if paint is messed up they can redo it or keep the vehicle. My $.02.
      "A fine beer may be judged with just one sip, but it is better to be thoroughly sure"

Comment

• dick541
        Forum Newbie
        • Nov 2004
        • Stoneville, north carolina, USA.
        • BT3100

Take the car back to the dealer and tell them to remove it or you demand $ 500. a month for advertising. It worked for me.
        dick

Comment

• JoeyGee
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2005
          • Sylvania, OH, USA.
          • BT3100-1

I know I wouldn't have an issue if I took it in to have them do it, but I was just trying to avoid a trip back.

Two cars ago, another dealer was offering free car washes for life, the condition being you had to leave their sticker on. I chose to wash it myself.
          Joe

Comment

• TB Roye
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2004
            • Sacramento, CA, USA.
            • BT3100

Dealerz around here don't use the stickers, the use the licience plate frames. First thing I do when I get it home is deep six the frames. If they used sticker I too would make them take it off before signing the papers.

Tom

Comment

• Tarheel
              Established Member
              • Feb 2006
              • N. Carolina

A hair dryer on very low heat for a couple of minutes followed up with a swipe of WD-40 should do the trick!!! Get it while it's fresh and it will peel off real easy!

Been there and done that within 24 hrs of purchase!

Good Luck!

Wayne

Comment

• Tom Slick
                Veteran Member
                • May 2005
                • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
                • sears BT3 clone

I find that regular silicone spray works very well as a adhesive remover. spray it on, let it soak, then work it off with a non metal object. no damage to the paint.
                Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• billwmeyer
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2003
                  • Weir, Ks, USA.
                  • BT3000

Ok, this sounds weird, but try peanut butter. The cheaper the better. I have a friend who swears by it.

Bill
                  "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                    The Full Monte
                    • May 2007
                    • Sunshine State
                    • BT3000

I used to take a Caddy I once owned to a local dealer for service. Even though the car was not bought at his dealership, every time I went in there, even for an oil change, they would hang a license plate frame with their ad on my car. Made them take about ten of them off. Then, even after I no longer owned the car, I would continue to receive a couple mailouts a week about service, or asking me to come trade it in with them, or inviting me to "VIP" customer events. I called repeatedly and asked to be removed from their mailing lists, but the junk continued to pour in. Over the course of four years, I worked my way up from secretaries through sales managers, and finally to the general managing partner for all their dealerships. Three calls to him resulting in promises to desist, and still they came. So, one day, an 8-yard dump load (pun intended) of cow manure mysteriously showed up on his front lawn, COD. I still get the mailouts, but now I smile every time I do...

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
                      Veteran Member
                      • May 2003
                      • Nanuet, NY, USA.
                      • BT3100

Go to an art store or crafts store and buy Rubber Cement Thinner, you can apply it with a small oil can or eyedropper, it works better than anything else I've seen.

If you cant locate it, contact cement cleaner works really well too.

Both are extremely flammable, so NO SMOKING.

It doesn't stain and I found that Goo Gone sucks.

Bruce
                      "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
                      Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• crokett
                        The Full Monte
                        • Jan 2003
                        • Mebane, NC, USA.
                        • Ryobi BT3000

Every car I bought from a dealer I made them take the sticker off. The last one was Carmax and they didn't want to remove it. The sales guy let me get out the door before he chased me down and agreed to have it removed.

I would try the contact cement thinner first. I've used that to remove a bumper sticker before.
                        David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• JSUPreston
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2005
                          • Montgomery, AL.
                          • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

Honestly, on all the cars, trucks and vans that we've purchased, I've just waited until a warm, sunny day, and very gently scraped it off with my fingernails. No damage to the paint that I've ever noticed. It also helps that all of these stickers were individual letters.

I'm with you guys. You pay a boatload of money to someone, and then they have the nerve to try to force you to advertise for them for free! If you want the advertising, buddy, make it worth my while.

Wise old man once told me how to tell if you ever got taken advantage of by a car sales person...you bought the car.
                          "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• BigguyZ
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jul 2006
                            • Minneapolis, MN
                            • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

Am I the only guy who doesn't care one way of another? Yikes.... I've seen some that are a little big, but man- mine never bothered me....

Comment

Working...