• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

My Home Gym

It was about 12 - 13 years ago LOML and I went out to buy a home gym. We were both in pretty good shape, rode bicycles, rollerbladed, and jogged together regularly. I kept seeing these ads on TV about getting "ripped abs" and the "six pack", and thought my wife would dig that.

Anyway, we stopped at "Sports Authority", and found a home gym, and was offered a great deal on the floor model:

When we went to check out, the cashier said there was no book included. It rang up to $79. Immediately my wife and I looked at each other in amazement, and without any reaction, I took out the cash as fast as I could.

I had to dismantle most of it to get it into my van, and good thing I did, because it wouldn't have fit in the intended room otherwise. Got it all set up in a spare bedroom, and my wife used it religiously for the first two weeks as the pain was a bit much for her.

OTOH, I was lookin' to create that perfect "six pack", and stayed with it for about a year. Well, the gym became a great place for the cats to play, and hang laundry on.

When we bought this house, dismantled it again to get it into a room. There it sat for another 7 years. We really couldn't justify getting rid of it because it was so cheap. Anyway, we recently gave it away to a friend who I'm sure is using it for the time being, because she is complaining how sore she is.

So, I said to my wife that when I was young, I liked the hard body look, and as I grew older, got used to the nice rounded look. I'm not really to the point yet where instead of a "six pack" it's a "gallon jug".

Any of you have a home gym, and if so, how's it going?
  • eccentrictinkerer
    • Aug 2007
    • Minneapolis, MN
    • BT-3000, 21829

Last summer my brother gave me an in-expensive tread mill that had become a clothes rack at his house. I set it up in my shop, thinking that I could get a little "cardio" while waiting for glue to set up.

Now, I need the space, haven't used it for a long while and the unit has a great 120VDC motor with a variable speed controller!

Anybody want some steel tubing and 16" wide x 7' long rubber band?
    You might think I haven't contributed much to the world, but a large number
    of the warning labels on tools can be traced back to things I've done...

Comment

• TB Roye
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Sacramento, CA, USA.
      • BT3100

LOML bought all this work out equipment mainly from QVC including a expensive Treadmill. It was set up in the bedroom on my side of the bed. After stubbing my toes on it many times I finially broke one. Treadmill to garage for a few years on non use. Traded to Niece for Refrigerator that holds the soft drinks and her weight watcher frozen meals. I finaly told her no more work out equipment, join a Gym it is cheaper in the long run and if you stop going it doesn't turning into a dust collector.

Tom

Comment

• pelligrini
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2007
        • Fort Worth, TX
        • Craftsman 21829

My wife talked me into getting her a treadmill several years ago.

For all the use she gave the thing it worked out to $100 a mile. It was probably cheaper by the pound if I counted all the clothes that got piled on it. Gave it to my brother in law a couple years later.
        Erik

Comment

• pecker
          Established Member
          • Jun 2003

Originally posted by eccentrictinkerer

Now, I need the space, haven't used it for a long while and the unit has a great 120VDC motor with a variable speed controller!

Anybody want some steel tubing and 16" wide x 7' long rubber band?
          Do they make sanding belts that size? Seems like there oughta be a way to get some woodworking use out of the thing.

Comment

• Stormbringer
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2005
            • Floral Park, NY
            • Bosch 4000

I'm in the process of redoing my basement. Half will be devoted to a gym...partially due to the fact that I'm not thrilled with the way I look and feel and partially due to doctors orders to build up my stamina and immune system. I've already changed the diet considerably so this is next logical step.

I bought the Powertec Multi Suystem a few months back since it is ideal for working out alone. No chance of bars crushing your neck!
            http://www.powertecfitness.com/workbench_multi_sysw.htm

Now for the past few weeks I've been researching ellipticals and have narrowed it down to either a Precor or a Life Fitness. Any opinions would be appreciated. (6' 3" 240lbs)

As an aside to anybody that needs inspiration, you must check out John Stone's site at http://www.johnstonefitness.com/php/why.php and his pictures (no there not photshopped) he is the real deal.

Also, can't decide if I should do a quality indoor/outdoor carpet or a laminate floor with rubber mats..

Pics to follow!

Greg

Comment

• LinuxRandal
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2005
              • Independence, MO, USA.
              • bt3100

My workout equipment comes from others garage sales. I let them spend the big bucks.

I used to have a tredmill, untill I heard its motor was good for things (since the readout was busted and it was only $25, I thought why not). I did miss it this winter though (I would rather be outside).
              Picked up a bicycle from Wallyworld, as I couldn't justify the price of the expensive ones (hey the weight gets my heart rate up). Due to work, haven't got to ride it in a year and a half (hoping to change that this year).
              Used free weights, and was given a bench, but I really don't use them like I should, since I injured myself a couple of times (including not having one tight and it ended up on my foot). There is a city center that has a few weight machines (or should I say wait, due to it).
              For me, it isn't getting the workout, it is the changing of the diet that I have an issue with.

Most of the people I knew who were/are freakishly into fitness, are the ones who have had the most medical problems, and they still died/die young. I just want to feel good.
              She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• kirkroy
                Established Member
                • Feb 2007
                • Brunswick, MD

I've got a home gym setup. I do occasional powerlifting or strongman meets so I have the basic barbells/power rack kind of stuff (including over 1000 lbs in olympic plates now, you can never have too many). I think of what I do as "training" rather than "exercise" or "working out". It's a fun hobby. I hate exercising.

Comment

• leehljp
                  Just me
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Tunica, MS
                  • BT3000/3100

I have long wanted a treadmill for the purpose of adding a small desktop to just above the handles, put the mill on slow, and then walk for the hour or two that I have to do necessary work online, answering email and filing out forms. I started looking for one two years ago while in the States but was not about to buy a new one for the short period of stay that I was there.

In the last 6 months, I have seen references to this on news and medical reports - as to the weight loss and general health improvement for people who do this.

In the news and medical reports, they set the speed on about 1 mph, which seems a tad slow to me. 1.5 mph would probably do me, but I would have to test it. I personally hate to sit and work on the computer but it is a must for me for 1 to 3 hours a day, IN ADDITION TO the hour a day I spend checking in here, another forum and general news.
                  Last edited by leehljp; 03-11-2008, 11:35 AM.
                  Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• charliex
                    • Mar 2004
                    • Spring Valley, MN, USA.
                    • Sears equivelent BT3100-1

Tinker check this out

My BIL has a great sense of humor. This is what he did with his ex-machine. He calls it the Excer-lathe. It has variable speed, gives read-out in MPH and calories burned plus it has cup holders.
                    Chas
                    Attached Files

Comment

• eccentrictinkerer
                      • Aug 2007
                      • Minneapolis, MN
                      • BT-3000, 21829

Originally posted by pecker
                      Do they make sanding belts that size? Seems like there oughta be a way to get some woodworking use out of the thing.

I'm having a serious "Red Green" moment here. Maybe a bucket of contact cement, a bag of fine sand and my tread mill! Oh, and lots of duct tape!

Make a heckuva belt sander 20" wide and 44" long!
                      You might think I haven't contributed much to the world, but a large number
                      of the warning labels on tools can be traced back to things I've done...

Comment

• Wood_workur
                        Veteran Member
                        • Aug 2005
                        • Ohio
                        • Ryobi bt3100-1

I have a home gym system that also serves as a clothes tree. Its not that badly covered and does get a fair bit of use. My dad get a new bike every year because he rides them so much that they wear out the belt, and he can' figure out that I can put a new belt on it in 20 minutes. Did I mention that my entire family has a membership to our local YMCA, which get rebuilt?
                        Alex

Comment

Working...