• Show
Clear All
  • Richard in Smithville
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • On the TARDIS
    • BT 3100

? on LCD monitors

My old computer came with a CRT monitor and I had heard all the stories about needing a screen saver otherwise the images would be burned into the screen. When I bought a new computer, I upgraded to an LCD monitor. Do the same rules apply? Will things burn into the screen as easily?
    From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/
  • TheRic
    • Jun 2004
    • West Central Ohio
    • bt3100

Originally posted by Richard in Smithville
    My old computer came with a CRT monitor and I had heard all the stories about needing a screen saver otherwise the images would be burned into the screen. When I bought a new computer, I upgraded to an LCD monitor. Do the same rules apply? Will things burn into the screen as easily?
    Years ago (OK decades ago) it was true that if one image stayed on the CRT screen (monitor on) you could burn the image in the CRT monitor. Then they started to shift the image on the CRT monitor (minor shifts the human eye didn't notice) among other advances in CRT technology this really reduced the burn in. The last time I saw burn in was in the DOS days, the display showed 6 lines (options) was on that screen 99% of the time 24 / 7 for years.

I do not know 100% about LCD's but I would not worry about it. I would very highly doubt it would burn in, just from knowing the way they work.
    Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• MilDoc

LCDs are not subject to burn in because there are no phosphors on the screen to "burn." They can suffer from what is called "image persistence," but this is not necessarily a permanent condition.

But when it comes to TVs, plasma screens can show burn in, at least for now. They have gotten better, but not all are as good.
      Last edited by Guest; 03-01-2008, 11:38 PM.

Comment

• poolhound
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2006
        • Phoenix, AZ
        • BT3100

As the others have commented the same does not really apply as the technology is totally different. If you are using the monitor for photo/graphics applications where color management is important then it is best to still let the screen saver come on when the monitor is not in use. This will help reduce the color and brightness drift and help with calibration.

Jon
        Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
        techzibits.com

Comment

• cwithboat
          • Jan 2008
          • 47deg54.3'N 122deg34.7'W
          • Craftsman Pro 21829

Actually, as LCD monitors turn on instantly unlike CRTs, in the interest of power savings ($) forget the screen saver and set your power setting to let the monitor turn off. At the same time you could let the computer go into a sleep mode (some turn on time).
          regards,
          Charlie
          A woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke.
          Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 2006
            • On the TARDIS
            • BT 3100

Thanks for the replies. Actually, I still run the screen saver and the sleep function but when I was changing the image for my back ground last night I got wondering. As it stands, if I am going to leave the computer for some time, I will turn the monitor off even if I leave the computer on.
            From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Slik Geek
              • Dec 2006
              • Lake County, Illinois
              • Ryobi BT-3000

At work we have an LCD monitor in the reception area that has been showing the same "slide show" for a couple years. The slide show uses a reduced section of the screen for images, and the remainder for text.

Recently, when we went to change the show, we were surprised to see that the reduced section of the screen used for images persisted on the LCD screen.

Our evidence of one sample indicates that even LCDs can take a "set".

Comment

• MilDoc

Originally posted by Slik Geek
                Our evidence of one sample indicates that even LCDs can take a "set".
                That's "image persistence," not the same as burn-in on CRTs and plasma screens, and it is not necessarily permanent.

Comment

Working...