LOL! There's a >$300M strawberry crop in my county. I think they get six harvests a year!!
JR
Yeah maybe, but comparing those big farm California strawberries to ones grown at home is like comparing hard, pale grocery store tomatoes to sweet juicy home grown ones.
When the local strawberries hit the market here, the California ones just sit there a moldering away, even when they're much cheaper.
You must be getting those inferior Salinas strawberries. The Oxnard ones are vastly superior!
Just kidding. Your point's well taken. It's hard to provide product for a nationwide market and make it top-notch. Kind of like bananas. If Chiquita delayed harvest until the bananas were ripe, we wouldn't like them much.
You mean you'll have fresh strawberries or the birds will?
Of course we share with our feathered friends. But we'll get our fair share. Should be a good crop this year, with all the snow we got. Just so we get a little rain to help out too.
The California strawberries I purchase at the store are better (larger, sweeter) than the ones we pick at a local farm. I suspect they are a tastier (at least to me) variety than the locally-grown varieties?
I live a few miles away from JR. Our local farmer's market sells several different varieties of local strawberries. The predominant type are good enough. But, for short periods they have another variety, the name of which, I can't remember, that is the sweetest most flavorful strawberry I have ever eaten. The downside is, that they collapse in a day or two. The "regular" strawberries will remain firm for a week or more.
My uncle owned a greengrocer business in London that supplied restaurants, hotels and ships with fruit and vegetables. He traveled the world to buy the best of the best.
He said the best strawberries came from Oxnard here in Ventura County. But, he said we didn't get them here. The best were specially packed and flown to high end purveyors around the world.
Steve
I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell
Comment