• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheRic
    • Jun 2004
    • West Central Ohio
    • bt3100

Fluorescent Light question / problem

Got a fluorescent (T5) lighted bar item, a Bud Light Clydesdale. The bulb went out, got a new one. When I put in the bulb I broke the socket, ceramic socket. Thought about fixing it, not 100% sure I can. Would rather buy a couple of new sockets, and fix it correctly.

Here is the problem, there are two types (many styles) shunted, and non-shunted. Looked on the INTERNET found people talking about certain bulbs or certain light units. Nothing that I saw that I could relate to my situation.

Does anyone know which one I need???!!!! Thanks for any and all help.

Here are the specs that I know:
    Bulb: T5 bulb - GE F6T5CW (it's about 9" long)
    Starter : Super Starter, FS-5, 4-6-8 W
    Ballast: Cat. SP48, 4-6-8W Lamp, .155 amp 118 V, 60 HZ., 753H
    Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!
  • Tom Slick
    Veteran Member
    • May 2005
    • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
    • sears BT3 clone

your ballast should have the wiring diagram and that should give you a clue. probably has to do with the ballast being "rapid start" or "instant start". my guess (purely a guess) is that shunted means both pins on each side of the bulb are wired to the same wire, non-shunted would be individual wires to each pin.

edit: take a look at this page
    http://www.gelighting.com/na/busines...mp_holders.pdf
    Last edited by Tom Slick; 02-24-2008, 07:11 PM. Reason: added link
    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• TheRic
      • Jun 2004
      • West Central Ohio
      • bt3100

Tom, thanks for the info & link. There is no diagram on the ballast, the thing looks like a small door bell transformer. I listed everything that I can find on the ballasts. Note: There is only 1 bulb. The wiring goes like this (if it helps):

Line In
      In socket
      Out socket
      In Starter
      Out Starter
      In Socket
      Out Socket
      In Ballast
      Out Ballast
      Line Out
      Ric

Comment

• gjat
        • Nov 2005
        • Valrico (Tampa), Florida.
        • BT3100

Personally, I'd go and buy a new fixture from Lowes and install the complete guts to replace everything. By the time you buy sockets and a lamp, you may as well.

Comment

• Tom Slick
          Veteran Member
          • May 2005
          • sears BT3 clone

you need non-shunted sockets because you have 2 wires coming out of the socket. if they were shunted you would only have 1 wire coming out of each socket.
          the other clue is that you have a magnetic ballast and shunted sockets are only for electronic ballasts.

Shunt is a fancy word for parallel. shunted socket just mean that the two wires on each end are connected internally.
          Last edited by Tom Slick; 02-24-2008, 08:51 PM.
          Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• Hoover
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2003
            • USA.

Why not try an electrical supplier warehouse or Graingers. I have gotten some electrical parts from electrical suppliers. Prices were reasonable. If they have a "city desk", you can buy from them.
            No good deed goes unpunished

Comment

• cabinetman
              Gone but not Forgotten RIP
              • Jun 2006
              • So. Florida
              • Delta

You may find a replacement socket (actually called a lampholder) at HD or Lowes. Electricians and suppliers also refer to them as "tombstones". They're pretty cheap.

Comment

• TheRic
                • Jun 2004
                • West Central Ohio
                • bt3100

Tom: THANKS for the help. I am curious on how you know I have a magnetic ballast?!

Gjat: Thought about that, but since space if limited not sure if one would fit.

Hoover & Cabman: Have found several places the I can buy them, that is not the problem. Shunted or non-shunted is the problem.
                Ric

Comment

• Tom Slick
                  Veteran Member
                  • May 2005
                  • sears BT3 clone

electronic ballasts don't use starters and don't look like transformers, they just look like a box. if it were electronic you would only have 4 wires (maybe 3): 2 power in (line) wires and 2 wires running out to the bulb.

Comment

• gjat
                    • Nov 2005
                    • Valrico (Tampa), Florida.
                    • BT3100

Shunted sockets are for electronic ballasts, which don't use a starter. If you don't have a "starter" (1/2" x 1" metal tube w/ two prongs) you have an electronic ballasts and need a shunted socket.

Comment

Working...