• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Instant Messaging Question

Does anyone have i'm instant messaging from MSN? How does instant messaging work? Is it worthwhile to have?
  • balzac.thegreat
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2008
    • Jersey City, NJ
    • Craftsman 21829

I use/have used them all. Great for what I do (UI designer working remotely so it's good for getting quick questions answered, setting up meetings, discussing projects, etc.). Most of my friends do similar stuff and/or work at a computer all day and/or spend quite a bit of time online so it's good for keeping in touch.

That said, it is pretty intrusive...well, it's as intrusive as you let it be. If you want to say hi to someone quickly when an email isn't quite in order, it's great. But, just remember it works both ways! I've taken to signing in in invisible mode to cut down the deluge. Probably great if you want to keep in touch with distant family members!

Edit: I use Trillian. Similar to Pidgin below.
    Last edited by balzac.thegreat; 02-21-2008, 05:33 PM.

Comment

• Alex Franke
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2007
      • Chapel Hill, NC
      • Ryobi BT3100

I use my MSN IM account at work to chat with off-site team members. I use Pidgin IM client (http://www.pidgin.im/), which supports MSN, yahoo, AOL and others. It's free.

You basically just install it and add "buddies" to your contact list. If they agree, you'll see when they're online (status like available, away, idle, etc) and you can open up chat windows with them.
      online at http://www.theFrankes.com
      while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
      "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• andrew.r.w
        Established Member
        • Sep 2003
        • Canada.

I use it all the time. My son is in boarding school 800 km. away and it's a great way to say hi a few times a day and for him to ask me for money.

At work many people consider it a kid's thing, but it's a recognized player in the Office Communicator suite.

One key thing with IM is the concept of presence. You declare your availability by setting your presence to away, idle, offline, whatever you want to be seen as. In the more advanced IM packages you can specify different presence states for different groups - like your team sees you as busy, your boss sees you as available, your wife sees you as idle, etc.

I use it, I like it, and I prefer it over e-mail or phone for some comms, particularly less formal stuff.
        Andrew

Comment

• Black wallnut
          cycling to health
          • Jan 2003
          • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
          • BT3k 1999

The OL has it (MSN) and uses it for close family and friends. I detest it! It opens automatacally every time the PC reboots no matter what I do to try to disable that! I do not use it. I prefer Chat rooms such as the one we have here. In years past I've used Yahoo IM. It was OK. MSN because it is MS attracts hackers and every now and then a vulnerability is found, of course MS comes out with a patch. I simply do not trust MSN, although I don't mind MS OS's. For hose use everything MS that I can dispense with gets replaced by freeware such as Openoffice.org and Mozilla for browser and email.
          Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• cabinetman
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

I'm getting the impression that IM can be a PITA. I'm assuming that someone would have to have a compatible IM service, and know your IM address. So I guess it's like email but slower. Am I right?

Comment

• Alex Franke
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2007
              • Chapel Hill, NC
              • Ryobi BT3100

I guess I don't see it as a pita. I've never gotten a spam message. It's like email but *faster*. It's immediate -- you send a message, and it appears on their screen. This is why I use it at work to communicate with off-site team members -- it's just like picking up the phone, but you have a record of everything that's been said. (e.g. what was that addy again? -- just scroll back up).

If you're giving a presentation with your computer, just close the IM client so you don't get any pop-ups from friends. That's a mistake that only happens once -- giving a presentation in an auditorium and snugglebunny69 (your wife, of course) pops up saying, "Hay baby, what you wearing?"
              online at http://www.theFrankes.com
              while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
              "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• andrew.r.w
                Established Member
                • Sep 2003
                • Canada.

It's not a PITA. You learn to use it appropriately and it can be a Godsend. Real-time comm and although it is not the appropriate form of communication in all circumstances it definitely fills a niche.

Hey, it's free. Try it out.
                Andrew

Comment

• OpaDC
                  Established Member
                  • Feb 2008
                  • Pensacola, FL
                  • Ridgid TS3650

Kinda depends on your purpose. IM is only good if you sit at computer for long periods along with the others you wish to comm with. Cell phone texting is mobile but can get expensive. I'm still a phone person. Prefer it to other forms including email, more personal. Also, for some I use Skype video with grandkids and some overseas friends. My son in law saw his first sons first Christmas from Iraq via Skype video. Now we still chat with the boys (5 and 3) via Skype. Now THAT is fun!

second star to the right and straight on til morning

Comment

• dkhoward
                    • Dec 2003
                    • Lubbock, Texas, USA.
                    • bt3000

I have used and still use most of the major messaging systems. IN fact, everyone at our office has an msn live account and we use it in the office instead of a paging system or intercom. Much easier when you are working on a document or are on the phone to IM someone across the hall to ask a question. You can also pass files back and forth, etc.

I use it at home to keep up with kids, friends and relatives. I often use msn with a VOIP connection to talk to them at the same time. Works well
                    Dennis K Howard
                    www.geocities.com/dennishoward
                    "An elephant is nothing more than a mouse built to government specifications." Robert A Heinlein

Comment

• andrew.r.w
                      Established Member
                      • Sep 2003
                      • Canada.

Originally posted by OpaDC
                      ... IM is only good if you sit at computer for long periods along with the others you wish to comm with ...

Not true.

Once you get used to IM and consistently set your presence appropriately it is useful for all kinds of messaging with co-workers, friends, customers, suppliers, etc. If you don't use the presence aspect then it can become less effective.

Look around. IM is regarded in industry as a real player in business communications. Thousands, even millions of people are using it right now. It is not all that limited. Give it a real try!
                      Andrew

Comment

• OpaDC
                        Established Member
                        • Feb 2008
                        • Pensacola, FL
                        • Ridgid TS3650

Don't disagree with usefulness in the work environment. Was referring mostly about home use. I use laptop and when not online I close it, hence "not available". As a 20 year IT person I guess I am kind of cynical about some of these things in the workplace. More often than not they are abused more that used. Email is the worst culprit. Server space goes down the tubes (not with IM). And most of my work has been with gov. Between checking emails, surfing the web, personal banking, IMing with Mom at home, etc... Don't get me wrong, they can be great when used properly. IM worked great for me while I was in London telco working on problem with coworkers in 2 Germany locations.

Okay, rant over. IT abuse is obviously a pet peeve of mine that costs gov millions in bandwidth dollars. And don't even get me started on "he/she is real good with computers, so let him/her be our computer person".

Okay rant really over and I feel much better now thank you.

second star to the right and straight on til morning

Comment

• leehljp
                          Just me
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Tunica, MS
                          • BT3000/3100

I never could get into IM. Tried it but distracting to have messages popping up wanting answers when I am trying to work on a document. My youngest daughter (23) loves it.

For Messages, email is fast enough for me. It it needs to be instant, then Skype. Voice inflections for sound, and facial expressions sure help in communication that is lost on IM and email.
                          Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• cabinetman
                            • Jun 2006
                            • So. Florida
                            • Delta

So, just to ask again, is it like email, but faster? Someone has to know your IM address, and you, theirs? Also, is it text only with no options, like attachments, inserting hyperlinks, etc?

Comment

• leehljp
                              Just me
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Tunica, MS
                              • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by cabinetman
                              So, just to ask again, is it like email, but faster? Someone has to know your IM address, and you, theirs? Also, is it text only with no options, like attachments, inserting hyperlinks, etc?
                              In my opinion, which is my perception in using it, it is like email "live", but it doesn't have to be "live". If a person has his IM on and you have yours on, you type and send, he or she types and sends back to you.

It is basically like a typing version of a CB radio conversation. One talking at a time and live. But, unlike CB radio, - with IM, you can send a message and it will be there like an email waiting on the the person if they are away from the computer.
                              Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

Working...