• Show
Clear All
  • JR
    The Full Monte
    • Feb 2004
    • Eugene, OR
    • BT3000

This is what you NEED!!

Seriously, these Oakleys are one example of a wide variety of sport glasses available for prescription applicaton. http://oakley.com/search/men+rx+sunglasses

What I used to do, pre RK, was to have a pair of stylish 'scrip sunglasses in the car plus a pair of sport-specific wraparounds with 'scrip inserts. There wasn't much available in the sport category in those days, but the ones I used had a set of clear lenses, a set of dark, and a set of yellow. The 'scrip inserts transfered among them. The setup worked well for me for a long time.

The problem is cost. I don't know the cost of Oakley's with 'scrip, but assume it to be about $300 all in. One or two sets of those and you might as well do laser and buy $19 shades at the drug store (or so my logic went when I did the RK). Plus I really liked the freedom of choosing sunglasses based on criteria other than whether they had 'scrip - sport, fashion, my mood, my budget, etc.

JR
    JR

Comment

• jackellis
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2003
      • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
      • BT3100

I have them because being somewhat absent-minded, I'd easily lose track of a second pair of glasses. My lenses are progressive bifocals and the combination works just fine. It adds about $60 to the price. Costs the optometrist about $2 (I used to be a part-owner of an eyeglass shop).

They can create problems with photos taken outdoors because you're not necessarily aware that the lenses have darkened. All of the wedding pictures we had taken outdoors show both of us wearing sunglasses. Neither we nor the photographer noticed it at the time. In case you're wondering, the photos were taken by a friend of my wife's who more typically takes pictures of teenagers on ice skates.

Comment

• Scottydont
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Edmonds, WA, USA.
        • Delta Industrial Hybrid

Very timely on the post. I really like them a lot for convenience when I travel (one thing less to pack) but second the remarks about

* Take too long to darken when I go outside
        * Take WAY too long to lighten when I come inside
        * Don't get dark enough outside
        * Don't work in the car

When I am around home I use my regular glasses and swap to prescription sunglasses in the car.

I have a pair that I recently had to take back to Lensecrafters because the coating was delaminating. They told me that they used a Tranistions knock-off and have been getting many back for the same issue. This made me very angry because I specifically asked for Transition lenses. I was never given the option. The offered to replace them with Transitions at no charge and they just called me to tell that they broke my $260 frames and the frame is no longer available. I am going there today to get this all straightened out.
        Last edited by Scottydont; 02-22-2008, 01:39 PM.
        Scott
        "The Laminate Flooring Benchtop Guy"

Edmonds WA

No coffee, no worky!

Comment

• mschrank
          Veteran Member
          • Oct 2004
          • Hood River, OR, USA.
          • BT3000

Originally posted by jackellis
          It adds about $60 to the price. Costs the optometrist about $2 (I used to be a part-owner of an eyeglass shop).
          And that explains why my doc pushed them so hard
          Mike

Drywall screws are not wood screws

Comment

Working...