• Show
Clear All
  • lrogers
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Mobile, AL. USA.
    • BT3000

Your favorite hints & tricks

I got to spend some serious time in the shop this weekend working on the newest project. Mostly I was designing and cutting parts, but did get a bit of assembly done.

As I was waiting for glue to dry, I thought back on the days accomplishments and all the little tricks I used to save time and and insure that duplicate parts were the same. This thought lead to another and well, I thought it would be interesting to share these tips. I figured it might save newbies going through the "learning curve" and us "old dogs" might learn a new trick or too as well.

So, how about it? What are your favorite "shop tricks"? Here's a few I used this weekend:

Stop blocks - measure once, set the block and make a bunch of identical cuts
    Feather boards - nothing like a third hand to make cuts safely
    Story sticks - low tech way to transfer measurements that really works well!
    Go-with-the-flow - don't be afraid to change the design as you go.
    Double stick tape - if you have two parts that have to be the same, stick them together and cut them at the same time (just don't use too much-that stuff is tuff!).

And finally,
    If you make a mistake, don't fret over it. Fix it if you can, cut a new piece if can't. That old piece make make a good stop block!
    Larry R. Rogers
    The Samurai Wood Butcher
    http://splash54.multiply.com
    http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

One of my most important tips is the last minute safety check. This includes checking tools to be used, frayed cords, tight chucks/collets, clean and safe work area, using the proper tool, proper procedure, having up to date fire extinguishers, and just about anything that "don't look right".

Comment

• dkerfoot
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2004
      • Holland, Michigan
      • Craftsman 21829

My favorite and most useful jig ever is just a saw guide - many of you use these already. here are a couple examples:

I use one side for my circular saw and the other for cutting dados with my router.

Unless you have a cabinet saw, it is so much easier to use when cutting sheetgoods down to size than a TS. The beauty is that you place the edge of the guide directly on the cut line - no measuring or multi-step line ups like with most straight-edge guides

I have mentioned it here before, but again, I consider it to be the single most useful jig I have ever used - one of the easiest to make too!
      Attached Files
      Doug Kerfoot
      "Sacrificial fence? Aren't they all?"

Smaller, Smarter Hardware Keyloggers
      "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
      KeyLlama.com

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

My most valuable....stands ready 24/7 and gets right to the "point"....
        Attached Files

Comment

• 9johnny5
          Established Member
          • Mar 2005
          • Orange Park, FL
          • BT3100

Since I'm a coffee drinker, it only took me one spill to recognize that I needed a way to protect my drawings. That, plus they get all dirty and dusty. So now, I copy each sheet on my printer/copier, and put them in a gallon size ziploc w/ a piece of cardboard from the back of a tablet so they stand up. I also keep with it the notes for any modifications I make, and what finish I used.

Treats me well, protects them, and I don't have papers blowing all over the shop when I use the fan. Plus, when I'm finished with the project, I just take the cardboard out, zip the bag up, and file it the drawer. That way, if anyone ever wants to see the plans, they're easy to find.

I'm not too experienced, so I don't really have another shop tip to share.

Johnny C.
          not exactly Norm...al

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
            The Full Monte
            • May 2007
            • Sunshine State
            • BT3000

My most useful tip is never be more than 5 steps from a numbingly cold beer, but keep the rest of the six-pack out of reach.

Comment

• poolhound
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2006
              • Phoenix, AZ
              • BT3100

Stop blocks always get my vote as a favorite and most used "non-tool." Thats why my shop (garage) is littered with small cutoffs as I always think they may come in handy as a stop block.

The other tip that I may be rather paranoid about is continually checking for square. As I prepare stock and assemble parts making sure all the pieces are square has become rather OCD :-) however as you assemble, if various parts are out of square they can throw the whole project off as I have found out to my cost after glue up - OUCH!
              Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
              techzibits.com

Comment

• andrew.r.w
                Established Member
                • Sep 2003
                • Canada.

#1: Get a BlueLine A9Q notebook. This hard-cover, quad-ruled (graph paper) notebook is with me at all times. Great for sketching and capturing ideas.

#2: Vacuum before you start gluing. One tiny little shaving will keep a MT joint from closing up perfectly. It's a mess that may last lifetimes.
                Andrew

Comment

• cwithboat
                  • Jan 2008
                  • 47deg54.3'N 122deg34.7'W
                  • Craftsman Pro 21829

Noise canceling earphones. When the shop vac, the air filtration and the TS get to howling I find these indispensable. I settle for a mid price range pair from JVC which I would rate a 6 on a scale of ten for performance. Better results from other manufacturers are available for (much) more money.
                  regards,
                  Charlie
                  A woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke.
                  Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• JeffG78
                    Established Member
                    • Jan 2007
                    • Northville, Michigan - a Detroit suburb
                    • BT3100

One thing I recently added to my shop was a large dry erase board. I always need to do math or write dimensions down and small note pads are easily lost. The majority of my notes are temporary, so a whiteboard is perfect. I keep a list in the corner of shop items I need to pick up the next time I go to HD, Ace, etc. A friend of mine went one step further in his garage. He installed 4x8 sheets of smooth 1/8" tub liner over his drywall, so his whole shop turned into a big whiteboard. Grease and grime wipe up easily and he always has a place to write notes and do calculations. The other benefit was that it made finishing his drywall much easier. Less sanding and no painting.

Comment

• final_t
                      Veteran Member
                      • Nov 2003

Put things away immediately - not lay it down for later. Put it back exactly where you got if from - a place for everything, etc. This helps A LOT when you're working in a small time window like I do (5pm to 8pm, if I'm lucky), because you don't waste time hunting for the **** ruler or marking knife.

Comment

• Wood_workur
                        Veteran Member
                        • Aug 2005
                        • Ohio
                        • Ryobi bt3100-1

I always have a ton of pencils on hand. All sharpened. so if I'm holding something with one hand and using the other to mark, and the pencil breaks, I can grab another one really easily.

And I agree with the putting stuff back. I spent 2 days cleaning, when I could have been working if I had just been good about putting stuff back when I was done.

Originally posted by JeffG78
                        One thing I recently added to my shop was a large dry erase board. I always need to do math or write dimensions down and small note pads are easily lost. The majority of my notes are temporary, so a whiteboard is perfect. I keep a list in the corner of shop items I need to pick up the next time I go to HD, Ace, etc. A friend of mine went one step further in his garage. He installed 4x8 sheets of smooth 1/8" tub liner over his drywall, so his whole shop turned into a big whiteboard. Grease and grime wipe up easily and he always has a place to write notes and do calculations. The other benefit was that it made finishing his drywall much easier. Less sanding and no painting.
                        I do that with a note book. works really well.
                        Alex

Comment

• poolhound
                          Veteran Member
                          • Mar 2006
                          • Phoenix, AZ
                          • BT3100

Originally posted by Wood_workur

And I agree with the putting stuff back. I spent 2 days cleaning, when I could have been working if I had just been good about putting stuff back when I was done.
                          This made me laugh as I am guilty of the same thing. I have a bad habit of just placing tools, offcuts, coffee cups and anything else at hand down on whatever flat surface is available. This is invariably my main bench so after a short while working on a project theres no room left. I work round it for a while and then have to spend time clearing up and putting things away.
                          Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• poolhound
                            Veteran Member
                            • Mar 2006
                            • Phoenix, AZ
                            • BT3100

Originally posted by final_t
                            Put things away immediately - not lay it down for later. Put it back exactly where you got if from - a place for everything, etc. This helps A LOT when you're working in a small time window like I do (5pm to 8pm, if I'm lucky), because you don't waste time hunting for the **** ruler or marking knife.
                            I'm always doing this with my large tape. Its a bit heavy to clip on my belt so I just put it down when I'm finished using it. When I next need it I have to search around all the surfaces, tool tops and shelves to find where I put it down. I guess I should get a lighter one.
                            Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• Tom Slick
                              Veteran Member
                              • May 2005
                              • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
                              • sears BT3 clone

6 P's

Proper
                              Prior
                              Planning
                              Promotes
                              Perfect
                              Projects

When I don't plan enough the project usually doesn't go real smooth.

Other Tip
                              Use a combo square for measureing everything under 12"
                              Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

Working...