• Show
Clear All
  • Black wallnut
    cycling to health
    • Jan 2003
    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
    • BT3k 1999

I hate this!

We had a rather harsh winter for the last month. a fair amount of snow followed by freezing temps followed by more snow and more freezing temps. Now in the last caouple of days it has warmed up a bunch. O9 days ago we were in single digits no, right now it is 43° and we had a high of 47°! MY irrigation ditch was full of ice. Now it's over full of ice and melt water! My lawn is flooding. the unfinished portion of my shop building is flooding, not really a big deal since it's just a dirt floor. But a PITA! LOML will be calling our irrigation district office first thing in the morning.
    Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

The Bright Side: Now is a good time to make that pitch for a concrete floor in the shop!
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• cwithboat
      • Jan 2008
      • 47deg54.3'N 122deg34.7'W
      • Craftsman Pro 21829

Oh Gee! Too much water on the right side of the mountain? Gosh that's too bad. (From the left side of the mountain) glub,glub
      regards,
      Charlie
      A woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke.
      Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• sparkeyjames
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Redford MI.
        • Craftsman 21829

Skating rink?

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

Just a suggestion for your floor. How about making a "floater" type of floor, like sections of pallets that fit together that are removable. The planking could be butted fairly tight, and they could be made in a size and height that's easily handled. They would get you off the dirt, and out of water in the future.

Comment

• tedkitch
            • Jul 2006
            • NE Suburbs, Chicago
            • Ryobi BT3100 What else is there?

I did exactly what cabinetman suggests and it worked out great. I was able to get my hands on some different size pallets and with a minor investment in some plywood I had a really good floor for cheap. I bolted the pallets together and then placed the plywood on top of them and marked where my runners were on the plywood and shot some nails to hold the plywood to the pallets. I used 3/4" plywood and it raised my floor almost 5" higher.

The nice thing about the pallets is that there is enough space for air to move around under the floor, so any water that did get under it would dry fairly quickly. If you are able to get your hands on some of those plastic pallets then you wouldn't have to ever worry about replacing them. I knew that at some point I was going to have to replace the wooden pallets.

Great suggestion and I was very happy with the results.
            Ted Kitch

Comment

• Mrs. Wallnut
              Bandsaw Box Momma
              • Apr 2005
              • Ellensburg, Washington, USA.

I hate all this water....but thank goodness our house sits about 2 to 3 feet off the ground.

The floor in the part of the shop Mark is talking about is an old lean to/stall kind of storage. Right now things that we have stored out there are up and out of the way, just a muddy mess right now. OUR shop has a concrete floor and is just fine, no water coming in from any where right now. Got to make a call this morning and see who is going to help us out.

The kids will have to wear rubber boots to get out to the bus because no matter what way they go they are going to be in water over their shoes..

But looking on the brighter side when the snow melts and the sun comes out our lawn should get very green very quickly.
              Mrs. Wallnut a.k.a (the head nut).

Comment

• Mrs. Wallnut
                Bandsaw Box Momma
                • Apr 2005
                • Ellensburg, Washington, USA.

Originally posted by sparkeyjames
                Skating rink?

If it freezes and goes down below 0 again then I will have to get a pair of skates to get out to check the mail
                Mrs. Wallnut a.k.a (the head nut).

Comment

Working...