• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

A Very, Very Expensive Bench

Here's a little look into Jimmy Carter's woodworking, and a bench he made that should bring in at least $250,000.
  • LinuxRandal
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2005
    • Independence, MO, USA.
    • bt3100

Caution, this topic got VERY touchy on another board, everything from politics, to the talking of how 2xish it looked, with the blue ends still on it.
    She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• JimD
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2003
      • Lexington, SC.

I guess I'll follow the old adage of not saying anything if I don't have something nice to say.

Jim

Comment

• cabinetman
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
        Caution, this topic got VERY touchy on another board, everything from politics, to the talking of how 2xish it looked, with the blue ends still on it.

Whoa Nellie...not gettin' off to a good start here. Leave the comments on the other board. This is not a political thread, just a human interest story. No need to start a ruckus.

Comment

• Pappy
          The Full Monte
          • Dec 2002
          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 (x2)

I've seen other items he made that I liked better, but it is interesting.

Just like many of us, he uses his shop to relax and get away from his daily problems. Difference is that he has Secret Service to make sure he isn't disturbed!
          Last edited by Pappy; 02-09-2008, 08:58 PM.
          Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
          Fools because they have to say something.
          Plato

Comment

• gsmittle
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2004
            • St. Louis, MO, USA.
            • BT 3100

Originally posted by Pappy
            Just like many of us, he uses his shop to relax and get away from his daily problems. Difference is that he has Secret Service to make sure he isn't disturbed!
            I wonder if he'd let me borrow those Secret Service folks for a while.... I have a TON of relaxing to do.

g.
            Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
            Bill & Ted

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Originally posted by gsmittle
              I wonder if he'd let me borrow those Secret Service folks for a while.... I have a TON of relaxing to do.

g.
              Ain't as relaxing having Secret Service around as you might think, GS. I have run into President Carter twice at Highland Hardware with Miss Rosalyn with him.. and once on a Habitat for Humanity project.. and the SS appear quite up-tight and watch everyone like a hawk that approach or speak to him. Sort of an un-comfortable atmosphere IMO.

He and Miss Rosalyn are genuinely nice folks and even though his WW skill would not come close to most members of the Wood-workers Guild of Georgia, he appears to like to do it for fun and some of his pieces are sold at high dollar. But not because of their show quality.

You look at his bench or other work and say.. it's not worth what it was sold for and I do better work myself. Well.. something is worth what someone is willing to pay and again, there are those that are willing to pay as done by an ex-president.. it's all for charity and they can monetarily afford to do so for those reasons.

Regards...

Comment

• footprintsinconc
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2006
                • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
                • BT3100

i never knew him to be a wwer!

Comment

• cabinetman
                  • Jun 2006
                  • So. Florida
                  • Delta

Originally posted by footprintsinconc
                  i never knew him to be a wwer!

I didn't either. I don't know what I would pay to have a signed piece of woodworking by a US president. I guess it would be a cool thing to show to friends. Somewhere I heard that George Washington had a Oak tooth. Now that might be a cool collectible conversation piece to put in a small glass display box and stick it on a mantle.

I'm not aware of any other US presidents that were into woodworking. But I'm wondering if there is some story about how Woodrow Wilson got his name. D'ya think maybe he carved out some oars?

Comment

• radhak
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2006
                    • Miramar, FL
                    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Interesting that he chiseled and carved a concave sitting surface. I have always thought a straight long bench is not best shaped for comfort of sitting. But doing it on maple takes some fore-planned masochism.

I wish there was a close up picture. I'd like to see more - is there an 'L' shape at the back-supports? Intuitively, that'd make for less strength - but he's hoping for 500 years of use....

But design-wise, turned-legs for such a square bench seems out-a-sorts. But who am I to talk - he sells his bench for a quarter-mil, while I hesitate displaying my products here ...
                    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                    - Aristotle

Comment

• Pappy
                      The Full Monte
                      • Dec 2002
                      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 (x2)

I looked up the Carter Center and scrolled through the auction listings. Some interesting items. Current bid on the bench is $300,000.

How about $16,000 for a pair of Reeboks! And I thought Wally World prices were high...

Link to the auction if anyone is interested in looking.

http://www.cartercenter.org/donate/w...iveauction.asp
                      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                      Fools because they have to say something.
                      Plato

Comment

• ironhat
                        Veteran Member
                        • Aug 2004
                        • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
                        • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Now, *that* would be satisfying; using your noteriety to do so much more good than what could be normally achieved by an otherwise average piece of furniture. Nice work, Jimmy! It might be a pattern that other people of fame could copy in order to help so many more. I guess that we can see it with Brad Pitt as well and I'm just forgetting others right now. Very cool.
                        Blessings,
                        Chiz

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 2005
                          • Independence, MO, USA.
                          • bt3100

Originally posted by ironhat
                          Now, *that* would be satisfying; using your noteriety to do so much more good than what could be normally achieved by an otherwise average piece of furniture. Nice work, Jimmy!

My sentiments exactly.
                          I am sorry if I came across any other way. Between the two separate attempts at a cordial posting of this, preauction on another board (which I read but never posted to, due to the behavior), and going to a funeral, for a friend who our families have been friends for 3 generations (which I think is rare now days), my mind was off, and I think I came across wrong, instead of just a "lets keep an eye on this folks", post.
                          She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

Working...