• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

I Have A Gripe

I subscribe to several car magazines, and some of them are from the same publisher. My gripe is that within the same month, there will be the same car tests, comparisons, and new car showings. At times it's the same exact car, and have seen at times the same pictures. Do the publishers think nobody notices this?

While I'm on this, there's always articles about a Lambo, Maserati, or Ferrari, for prices from something like $185,000 to $450,000. Right, I'll just write a check. I'll venture a guess that the guy who can afford that price of car more than likely doesn't have the time to read about it in a magazine, or maybe he does.

So, maybe to give complete coverage, they have to cover the family sedan right up to the exotics.

There's only been one time in my life that my car payment was higher than my mortgage.
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

Happens all over. When I look online for news of, for instance, an NBA basketball game, I usually start at Yahoo Sports, where there is usually one write-up. Then, I'll go to espn.com, the Sporting News, and maybe 2 or three other outlets, only to find the exact same article by the exact same AP sportswriter. If all we need is one writer for every outlet, then why are there hundreds of press credentials given out for every game? Why do we have to get by with one guy's perspective, and nothing else? I'm pretty sick of it, myself.

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

I would pick what I considered the best and UN-subcribe to the rest. Long ago I had subscriptions to about 5-6 WW mags. Have one now and glance over the others on the stand. Anything worthwhile, I will purchase it after I esstablish there is something worthwhile.

Comment

• sweensdv
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • WI
        • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

Of course a publisher will use the same material in multiple publications. Why not, keeps the overhead down and they probably figure that not that many will be subscribing to more than one of their publications.

Comment

• cabinetman
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

Originally posted by sweensdv
          Of course a publisher will use the same material in multiple publications. Why not, keeps the overhead down and they probably figure that not that many will be subscribing to more than one of their publications.

Ahhh, so that's it. Maybe I should prove them right.

Comment

• Pappy
            The Full Monte
            • Dec 2002
            • San Marcos, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 (x2)

The only automotive type magazine I get is Classic Trucks. Obviously no articles on exotic cars, but most of the featured trucks are built in various specialty shops. The most the owner had to do with the construction was writing the checks.

Same goes for most of the tech articles. $1000 disk brake conversions and $3000 air suapension systems. Like the average reader could afford them even if he had the tools needed for the installation. Give me an article on how to install a junkyard tilt column in my '65 and make it look like it belongs there. Ain't got the 5 'C' notes to lay down on a stainless Flaming River...
            Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
            Fools because they have to say something.
            Plato

Comment

• luteman
              Established Member
              • Dec 2007
              • Northern Michigan
              • BT3100-1

I have a similar complaint with most of the current WW mags. I mean, how many times do I have to read an article about dovetails? This is just an example. Back in the day when Fine Woodworking mag got its' start, one could find a panoply of articles dealing with different aspects of woodworking.

Comment

• williamr
                Forum Newbie
                • Dec 2006
                • Mazatlan or Toronto
                • BT3000SX

Originally posted by cabinetman
                I subscribe to several car magazines, and some of them are from the same publisher. My gripe is that within the same month, there will be the same car tests, comparisons, and new car showings. At times it's the same exact car, and have seen at times the same pictures. Do the publishers think nobody notices this?

While I'm on this, there's always articles about a Lambo, Maserati, or Ferrari, for prices from something like $185,000 to $450,000. Right, I'll just write a check. I'll venture a guess that the guy who can afford that price of car more than likely doesn't have the time to read about it in a magazine, or maybe he does.

So, maybe to give complete coverage, they have to cover the family sedan right up to the exotics.

There's only been one time in my life that my car payment was higher than my mortgage.
                I did some software work in the media industry and got a little education in the biz along the way...

As one executive told me -- unfortunately (or perhaps the opposite) the people who write press releases are generally better than the writing staff -- thus permitting him to issue a magazine with the requisite 30% "content". Otherwise he said -- we might not be able to find enough coherent and readable content to be known as anything other than an advertising flyer. His words -- not mine -- and this was a respected business publication.

And then there is syndication...

I guess not much has changed in the last few years.

---
                Will

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                  The Full Monte
                  • May 2007
                  • Sunshine State
                  • BT3000

Originally posted by sweensdv
                  ...they probably figure that not that many will be subscribing to more than one of their publications.
                  One subscription to a customer? That does not really sound as though it's part of a well thought out business plan.

Comment

• cabinetman
                    • Jun 2006
                    • So. Florida
                    • Delta

Originally posted by Pappy
                    The only automotive type magazine I get is Classic Trucks. Obviously no articles on exotic cars, but most of the featured trucks are built in various specialty shops. The most the owner had to do with the construction was writing the checks.

Same goes for most of the tech articles. $1000 disk brake conversions and $3000 air suapension systems. Like the average reader could afford them even if he had the tools needed for the installation. Give me an article on how to install a junkyard tilt column in my '65 and make it look like it belongs there. Ain't got the 5 'C' notes to lay down on a stainless Flaming River...

You have a great idea there. I'd like to see a magazine dedicated to adapting a vehicle to lifestyle/needs. When I put up crown in our house, I could have used an article on how to transport 16 ft trim with an Explorer.

Comment

• JeffG78
                      Established Member
                      • Jan 2007
                      • Northville, Michigan - a Detroit suburb
                      • BT3100

I work for Ford and spent many years in SVT. We engineered the Cobra Mustang, Lightning pickup, SVT Focus, as well as many special one-off cars. With that came a lot of time with the media. The reason that every magazine has the same stuff each month is because they are all invited to product launches together. For example, when we did the press launch of the 2003 SVT Cobra, we rented Virginia International Raceway and invited all of the big magazines. We had C&D, MT, Automobile, R&T, Motor Week, Auto Week, Muscle Mustang, as well as a few others. We gave a briefing of the technical details of the car and then they were let loose on various track surfaces. There was an autocross set up in a large parking lot and they had the main 2.x mile road course. They had several hours to play with the cars and then they took turns using single turns of the track for photo shoots. Usually this involves running the same turn(s) dozens of times with the driver sliding the car around for the best angle and light conditions. Each magazine at the test does the same thing and many use the same corners. This is why they all have the same cars in the same months with very similar photos. After the press launch is over, the magazines schedule individual times with the cars. They usually pick up the car from us and take it to their "home track" where they gather instrumented performance figures, track times, and evaluate regular street driving.

Usually for a major launch, one magazine is awarded an exclusive. That means that while they all might drive the car at the same time, only one magazine can have the car in it's magazine for the first month (usually three months after the press day). The rest of the magazines must wait a month to show the car. The magazine gets the first showing and the manufacturer often gets their car on the cover with "EXCULSIVE" in big print.

I completely agree that having multiple subscriptions leads to redundant articles and photos. There really isn't an easier way to launch a car than to invite them all together. If this wasn't the case, then the manufacturers would need far more prototype cars and people to show the cars and the magazines would not have a fair shot at getting the cars when they are first available.

I subscribe to multiple car mags, but rather than get upset that they all have the same coverage, I read each article closely and see what they agree or disagree on for each car they test. Chances are good that if they both think the car is good or bad, it probably is. If they disagree, then it's probably more of a personal taste thing.

Comment

Working...