• Show
Clear All
  • chopnhack
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • Florida
    • Ryobi BT3100

Woodworking Magazine inspired bench!

Sometimes in life you read an article and you get just.....
    so inspired. It can be an almost transcendal moment of creation when an idea comes to you like that.

Yeah, none of that cra p happened I just needed to learn how to hand plane a board. LOL
    I think in straight lines, but dream in curves
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

Cool having those curls of shavings fall around you feet, ain't it? I like your 'workbench', but it needs to be a little higher, unless you stand 3'2"!

BTW, you need to adjust the knife on your plane. I can't see the ground through those shavings!
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato

Comment

• footprintsinconc
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2006
      • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
      • BT3100

cool!

dont those pegs at the end stop your plane from going to the end of the work piece? this would mean that you planing could not be complete right to the end? is that correct?

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Footprintsinconc took the words right out of my mouth, CN. Enjoy your shaving and drop those end stops below the top of your board to slightly more than the depth of the iron cut.

Nothing more annoying to make a pass and the tip of the iron run hit a stop, especially if you use brass ones on a bench as I do. Takes a while to put a new edge on the iron. But.. you won't do it again after the first..

Enjoy....

Comment

• Mr__Bill
          Veteran Member
          • May 2007
          • Tacoma, WA
          • BT3000

well ya know, if the plane is sharp enough it will par those pins down to size.

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Not protruded 1/2" - 3/4" above the end. The toe will hit them and the toe does not cut. The good news is they are wood. If you use metal dogs in a table as I mentioned mine are, you want to be sure to clear them period. Trust me on that one from first hand expereince years ago! Can I say duh as that should have been figured out before I nicked a fresh tip I spent about 30 minutes putting on.

Comment

• chopnhack
              Veteran Member
              • Oct 2006
              • Florida
              • Ryobi BT3100

Hehe, I just raised them high enough for photos, in use they weren't higher than mid board. I have found that hand planing a board s4s is tough to do with a 4" block plane! It was just for learning, and I did learn some. I was able to get the board fairly square enough to cut out some pieces and glue them up. I am making a wooden mallet for hammering chisels. More to come on that when its finished.

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Originally posted by chopnhack
                Hehe, I just raised them high enough for photos, in use they weren't higher than mid board. I have found that hand planing a board s4s is tough to do with a 4" block plane! It was just for learning, and I did learn some. I was able to get the board fairly square enough to cut out some pieces and glue them up. I am making a wooden mallet for hammering chisels. More to come on that when its finished.
                You dirty dog, you.. ha.. ha... ha..ha..ha..

I had a feeling you did that for a picture and wasn't paying attention as the toe would hit em as we stated and that would be the "end" of that pass. Funny as I did something similar about 6 years ago. I did a very hasty picture set-up to add to a post at the FWW forum on a router fence. I did it so hastily I threw the over-head feather-boards on the fence without paying any particular attention.

The picture posted and when I looked at the thread latter.. I had about 50 post with people laughing at the feather-board feather turned the opposite direction than it should be. Needless to say.. I am more careful (most of the time as it seems I am always in a hurry with the forum thing) now to disquise my "dumb moments".

Again.. have fun with that hand planing practice.

Comment

• chopnhack
                  Veteran Member
                  • Oct 2006
                  • Florida
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Hehe, I did! It was very interesting. I need more practice though. Chris Schwartz wants to use the photos in his magazine LOL. Interesting character, I told him by all means just dont label them Red Neck Workbench
                  So maybe we will see them in an upcoming issue of Woodworking Mag.

Comment

Working...