X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tom Slick
    replied
    Originally posted by Crash2510
    id say navy unless you can paint nixon and make him pop out the payload door

[ATTACH]8609[/ATTACH]

That would be awesome!!

Leave a comment:

• Ed62
    replied
    Gotta go Navy.

Ed

Leave a comment:

• Anna
    replied
    Originally posted by lrogers
    Anna,
    Yes, I'm building a R/C model of the Sea King. The model will be 54" long nose-to-tail, will sport a scale 5 bladed main and tail rotor, will have navigation/anti-collision/landing lights and the main wheels will retract. Power will be provided by by .70 OS engine burning 30% nitro fuel. I'm guessing all up weight will be around 12 pounds. There is even a bit of wood in it so both hobbies are combined!
    Wow. Then definitely go Navy. It is prettier and shows better. How do you keep it at 12 pounds for something so big? Styro?

I bought a 4-year-old an RC chopper for his birthday. The bellow he made when the chopper took off was just amazing, and he started jumping up and down, laughing maniacally as he flew it all over the place. I'm now imagining his reaction if he gets his hand on a 54" model.

Hope you share the videos of the Sea King in flight.

Leave a comment:

• Tom Slick
    replied
    I think the Navy bird looks better but I think the novelty of Marine One would be a unique model. The current Marine One has been serving since the Kennedy administration.

when you get done with that one you should built a MH-53 Super Stallion, they look tough!

Leave a comment:

• Crash2510
    replied
    id say navy unless you can paint nixon and make him pop out the payload door

Leave a comment:

• lrogers
    replied
    You guys are awesome! So far the score (from all sources) is 14 to 6 in favor of the Navy SAR.

Anna,
    Yes, I'm building a R/C model of the Sea King. The model will be 54" long nose-to-tail, will sport a scale 5 bladed main and tail rotor, will have navigation/anti-collision/landing lights and the main wheels will retract. Power will be provided by by .70 OS engine burning 30% nitro fuel. I'm guessing all up weight will be around 12 pounds. There is even a bit of wood in it so both hobbies are combined!

Richard,

I'm very familar with the landing system you are talking about. Our Navy calls it RAST (recovery, assist, secure, transit - or something to that effect). About 18 years ago I had to prepare an estimate for installing that system on one of our FFG's. Landing a helo on a pitching deck is nuts, being dragged out of the sky........those pilots EARN their paychecks!

Leave a comment:

• Wood_workur
    replied
    navy for sure.

Leave a comment:

• cwithboat
    replied
    Why pick a plane than basically does nothing but haul GWB to the nearest US AFB against a life saving USN helicopter?

In either case the guys that ride these things are true professionals.

Leave a comment:

• Alex Franke
    replied
    Go NAVY! The colors and overall look are more pleasing to me. I would have said that even if it wasn't the navy helicopter.

Leave a comment:

• Richard in Smithville
    replied
    I think the navy bird looks best.

As a matter of interrest, I found a quote from CBC about Canadians and the Sea Kings.

When the Canadians suggested Sea Kings could be launched and land on a destroyer, navies reacted by calling them "crazy Canucks." But they made it work, inventing a "hauldown" technique – the Canadians nicknamed it the "beartrap" – essentially a vertical winch that centred the Sea King over the destroyer – often heaving in the raucous North Atlantic – and the chopper pilot then flew down the hauldown and landed on a rolling surface about the size of a double-car driveway.

Leave a comment:

• JR
    replied
    Originally posted by Anna
    And I should stop posting on topics I know next to nothing about.
    That would seriously cramp my style!

I like the navy one.

JR

Leave a comment:

• Anna
    replied
    I have no idea what the Sea King project is all about (are you making a model?), so it's hard to pick which one is better. The Navy version looks a little busy, with the many colors and decals/images on the sides. I'm guessing the colors were chosen to make them easier to see out at sea?

The Marines' version looks neater, but the color looks a bit drab. I guess that's for better camouflage?

The Navy one is prettier, I guess, and a bit more ostentatious. The Marines one seems more stream-lined and classy.

And I should stop posting on topics I know next to nothing about.

Leave a comment:

• Bruce Cohen
    replied
    While the Navy looks good, I've always been partial to the "Black" ones.

Bruce

Leave a comment:

• leehljp
    replied
    I too like the Navy version. The colors alone say "Look at me" more.

The other one says "I've got work to do so get out of my way."

Leave a comment:

• Uncle Cracker
    replied
    I'm with you guys on the better looks of the Navy piece. That said, Air Force One is not the most striking example of a Boeing 747, but still is popular for other reasons, so perhaps Marine One has it's merits, also.

Leave a comment:

Working...